When is it time to fire your PVP?

rdrseller

OK, I booked over a year out for our nexzt cruise. Want a specific suite on a specific ship, for a specific sailing date, etc.

So now, I find myself needing to make some changes including the date. (Children - they can cause so many problems!)

I have e-mailed my PVP more than 4 times and left two messages. I have sent a new message to a different PVP that I got from a kind sole from here on the boards and am awaiting a response.

I have decided to fire the idiot that only wants the money for the booking and find one that is willing to work for his/her pay. Can someone tell me if I change will the new PVP get the commission for my booking or will the other one?

If I need to, I will completely cancel and re-book to insure that the idiot doesn't benefit for his incompetance.

Sorry, just needed to vent and find out for sure which way was best.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I've just talked to anyone who answers the phone and they are happy to make any changes I've requested. I don't think you have to stay with one person. I could be wrong, but if that were the case one of them probably would've said "you need to talk to the one who booked it for you". Good luck! I don't blame you for being frustrated.

In my experience, you can deal with any PVP at any time. I can understand you not wanting him to earn an undeserved commission, but given that any PVP's willing to help you at any given time, I'm not sure they're even commissioned. Regardless, it's probably not worth aggravating yourself further to go through hoops to cancel out whatever commission he might have earned. Best way to fire him is probably just to deal with someone else.

I'd informally 'interview' new PVPs -- call occasionally to ask questions of various PVPs. When you find someone particularly knowledgeable and friendly take down their name, extension and work schedule. Our original PVP (from our first cruise) had a tendency to be a bit too pushy, prodding us to book our next cruise before we were quite ready, so when we were ready to book, we rolled the dice with someone else. Then when I called last week to make a payment on our upcoming cruise, I ended up getting a particularly friendly and informative PVP, so I jotted her name and ext down so we can use HER to book our NEXT cruise.

My mama told me... you'd better shop around.

I actually thought I had to get all changes made through the original PVP. Now that I hear this may not be true.....I will call and see if the lucky person on the end of the line can help me and if not, I will ask for a supervisor.

Hi RDR - In the first place, PVPs don't work on commission. They work on incentives, such as going up the ladder to supervisor, etc.

You really don't 'fire' a PVP. Just call the Carnival 800 number and ask for A (as in 'any') PVP. Whomever they connect you with can look up your booking number. If they should ask if you want to speak with the person who booked your cruise, no need to go into all these details - just say no, and ask whatever questions you have of the person on the line with you. Simple. No need to get all fired up. If this new PVP doesn't help you, THEN ask for a supervisor.:)

That's what I love about booking directly with Carnival - you can talk to ANYONE at ANY time of the day or night!! Sometimes I get questions that cross my mind at odd hours!! :rolleyes:

I liked my PVP ok - friendly enough - but never went above and beyond. I always tried calling his extention first, but if he wasn't there, I just hung up and called the main number again and talked to whomever answered with no problem at all.

Never had any luck with emailing the PVP but calling has worked from time to time, at best. I did get a call back once after I emailed her about booking a cruise (go figure) but everytime I asked a question via email, I never got a response...I would suggest that you talk to whoever answers the phone...some of those folks are in Colorado Springs so be careful about talking to them on a Sunday afternoon during football season...they might be preoccupied. Go Broncos:D

Hi,

We also have a PVP that doesn't return our calls or emails---for weeks on end. We finally spoke to a supervisor and was told there is no way to transfer the booking to another PVP. The supervisor said he would talk to the PVP but, if he did, nothing has changed.

We were told to just talk to anyone who answers the Carnival number and they will help you. We don't even bother to try to contact that particular PVP anymore. We get all our questions and problems solved by whomever we speak to now and they have been very helpful.

Just don't bother using that PVP anymore.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Lynn

Are you sure they don't make commission, mine told me that they do???

Anyways, yes I would fire him. You are the consumer and have that right. Mine is amazing, I always, ALWAYS get a email back within 10 mins. I know what hours she works, and if I send a email when she is off I get a response about 15 mins before her shift. I have gotten 2 or 3 maybe even 4 price drops, can't remember now...:D

I know we can't put names here but I can email you her name if you like.

Kim

I got rid of my PVP this week and transfered the reservation to a travel agent. The PVP I was dealing with took over two weeks (3 phone calls and 4 emails) to get back to me about a better deal that I had found.

This is my first dealing with Carnival (I have always sailed with Disney up to now). It has been a bad start and hopefully will be a good ending.

Last April when I booked our Glory cruise by phone, I called pretty early in the am and got a guy who knew nothing....not a PVP in my opinion. Just an order taker. Good thing I am a knowledgeable cruiser because it wouldn't have been a good experience. I began gettting e-mails from a PVP last fall and was very impressed with her. Even got hand written notes in the mail. I asked for a price quote just last week for a cruise March 2007. She sent me back a canned e-mail indicating that I was to call her. I responded back that I knew what I wanted and just wanted a price via e-mail since my schedule is busy. She sent this very strange e-mail that I don't think was supposed to be sent to me...not a good one either. I responded back that the e-mail must have been sent in error?? No response. I'll be looking for another PVP but it's not the end of the world...I just want the best price. I can handle the rest.

The PVP I've been dealing with is actually who finally convinced me that I would like to try Carnival. I originally talked to her about cruises in Feb then switched it to May (different ships). She has emailed me every bit of info (pictures, 3 page long ship details, lists of shore excursions for all 8 ports, etc) she can find. 100% above and beyond the call of duty IMO. She has actually called me to let me know if the cruise fare dropped by as little as $25. So far, I couldn't be happier. I would try a different one.

Are you sure they don't make commission, mine told me that they do???

Well, I can't swear to it...but the PVP I've used for five out of my last six Carnival cruises told me that. The one I used before was promoted to corporate office, and this one (she's a jewel) is almost at the supervisory level.

The other department that books cruises does work on commission, but not PVPs. Of course, the way things change w/Carnival, this may have changed as well...?

I know we can't put names here but I can email you her name if you like.

Read the Cruise Critic rules. We aren't allowed to ask, even through email, about booking agents.;)

My PVP was really good at returning emails and phone calls. The only thing that I had a grip about was not informing me that the deadline for passports had been change from Dec 2005 to Dec 2006. I felt that that was newsworthy enough to contact ALL your customers...ended up spending 145 on a passport I didn't need and may never use again. That would have bought alot of margaritas on ship!!! I included this on my comment card on the last day. Also, I guess booking guarentee gives you the lowest fare initially and only room upgrades are available and not shipboard credits....or so it seemed with my trip. That was never really explained to me.

On prevous booking the 1 had never returned call, since it appears that these folks are on salary(?) and earn some kind of credit for each booking I do not see the incentive for follow up after booking is made. Next time will just call in and not bother to contact my P(ersonal)V(acation)P(lanner) and just try out another 1.

Archived