Bermuda Lighthouses

Joanandjoe

We and another couple on the 5/13 Zenith sailing are lighthouse buffs. We went to the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse on our honeymoon many years ago.

We've heard rumors that the Gibbs Hill lighthouse is closed for renovations, and one cannot climb to the top. Can anyone veryify whether this is true of false? Also, are there other lighthouses in Bermuda? Thanks.

I've been to St. David's Lighthouse on both of the Zenith cruises that I took and really enjoyed it. We took the bus from St. Georges - it's an interesting ride out and great views once you get there. The lighthouse dates back 100+ years. There are some tours that include it, but if you take the public bus, it goes hourly, giving you one hour there, which is just enough time to enjoy the views and relax a bit.

http://www.bermudalighthouse.com/stdavidshistory.htm (there is also a small concession stand there).

We only went to Gibbs Hill on our first cruise (Oct. '03) and it was closed due to damage from Hurrican Fabian. I still thought it was worth going to as the views from the base of it are great!

You're welcome - I hope you enjoy going there!

It's Route #6 from St. George's. Last year it left at 15 after the hour from St. George's and 40 past the hour from St. David's (when you get to the Lighthouse, check the time that you arrive so you'll know when the bus is due back again.) The bus service was very reliable.

Even more great information, Susan. Thanks again.

I've just called Gibbs Hill. They are, indeed, closed for renovations, and won't reopen until mid-summer. I wouldn't have had their telephone number without your lighthouse link.

Thanks Joan - will you go up to Gibbs Hill for 'old time's sake' & to take in the views from the grounds?

We were on Zenith last year at this time. On our sail in to Hamilton on Monday morning and again from Hamilton to St. Georges on Wednesday morning, I was on deck for the great views of the island (and lighthouses) from the water. Great memories!

Your trip is coming up fast.... have a wonderful time!

Thanks. We'll let you know about which lighthouses we went to when we come back. Most likely we won't go to Gibbs Hill if we can't climb up the steps to the top.

We're early birds, and we'll definitely watch the ship go through town cut to St. George. As for Hamilton, doesn't the ship arrive in Great Sound/Hamilton Harbor overnight, when it's still dark out?

Joan - we were a bit late arriving last year (some rough weather going down) - I think we pulled into Hamilton harbour around 9 a.m. I remember watching the approach to Bermuda from quite a ways off. If you don't catch it on Monday.... it's a good 'show' on Wednesday, and then again leaving on Thursday afternoon :)

I'll look for a post from you re the lighthouses when you return.

Are you planning to do the 3 day bus/ferry pass. If so, you can purchase it on board Zenith. On our first morning there, we headed right for the bus to King's Wharf (a great ride out)... spent some time there, and came back by ferry in time for lunch on the ship. It was nice to get a head start while the bulk of the passengers were getting oriented. At lunch we gathered up towels and swim wear and went back on the bus to Horseshoe Beach for the afternoon - a nice first day on the island!

Cruz.... according to this article there are only the two lighthouses http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/2004/st_davids.htm

We walked up to Gibbs Hill from Horseshoe Bay - got some great exercise doing that walk, but the views were well worth it (even without being able to go up the lighthouse.) I thought it was worth seeing the lighthouse itself, and if you enjoy great vistas.... then you'll find it worthwhile. Plus it might be quite peaceful up there if others don't go because it's closed.

Archived