What to do in Caymen Islands???

RN7997

Hello. I am going through withdrawl from my April cruise on Adventure of the Sea so now I have to get another booked. I am looking at booking a cruise for a group of us, mostly in our 20's- early 30-'s, for the Freedom of the Sea to the Western Carribean. I am clueless about these islands and would like some insight.

I gather that Sting Ray City is a don't miss? What exactly ir Rum Point? Is there anything in walking distance to the ship??

What other reccomendations for things to do, with prices, do any of you have???

Rent a car/jeep or not???? We rented jeeps in Aruba and it was awesome. Can you off road here at all????

Thanks a bunch.

You are in for a treat in Grand Cayman!

Right at the port area are tons of shops...from expensive jewelry, to trinkets. There are also several restaurants...The Hard Rock, Breezes, Paradise Grill, Senor Frogs...and soon to open, Margaritaville.

If you want to walk a short distance, you could walk to Rackhams Pub (we did this). It's located right on the water, and is a nice place to eat and watch the ships and water.

I think the #1 thing anyone should do (even if you don't snorkel), is to see the stingrays. It is an amazing adventure.

The next thing that a lot of people do is the turtle farm and Hell. Personally, if time is tight, I'd skip these. But that's just my opinion.

You could do a stingray and Rum Point tour. I think Nativeway offers this. We've always used Captain Marvin's for our tours, and had a wonderful time with them. They are located just a short walk from the port area (to your left).

Rum Point is an area that has a restaurant, gift shop, volleyball, hammocks, and nice restrooms w/showers. It also has a long pier type walkway that you can walk out on. It's white...and you've probably seen pictures of it. It's really pretty. Rum Point is very tropical...with lots of palm trees. Red Sail operates out of there so you can rent water toys (waverunners, etc.). The day we were there it was packed. But I hear it's not always like that.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

You could rent a car and drive anywhere on the island. It is really that safe. When we were there for a week, I think we went down every road on the island. If you do rent a car, there is one company (I wish I could remember their name) that will either pick you up at the Blue Iguana (right in town), or they have the car there for you. I can't remember, but it seemed really easy. We rented from Andy's, and picked our car up at the airport. I would imagine that most of these companies will shuttle you back and forth from the port area.

If you do rent a car, and you are looking for island souvenirs, stop at Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (to the right...away from 7MB). It's located in an old white house (I think it was white). The front of the store faces the side street (not the street you are on). They have some of the neatest local artists work. Everything from Xmas ornaments to beautiful paintings.

And if you are going toward Rum Point, make sure and take in the blow holes. They are over that direction. The Lighthouse Restaurant is also over that direction. Or you might stop at the botanical garden (it's on the road you cut-though to get to Rum Point-I think it was Frank Sound Rd.)

There are so many places that you will get to see that the average cruise ship passenger won't if you rent a car. You can stop anywhere and just get out and explore. It's an awesome island and the people there are so nice. We loved our week there and can't wait to get back next January.

Stingray City as you say is a must do. Do it privately (not through the ship) as you will get a better bang for your buck. They will have some other snorkel stops as well and rum punch. That will more than likely eat up your morning, which means Rum Point may not be an option. It is a beach area on the nothern side of the island (I'm almost positive - northern). It takes a while to get there. There is shopping within walking distance and some snorkeling, but no real touristy stuff.

You could go to Hell or the Turtle Farm/Rumcake Factory. Seven Mile Beach is a great place to spend the afternoon. Good luck learning and deciding.

Native Way and Captain Marvin both do a bang up job. If you pick a half day on either you will do some snorkeling as well as Stingray City. The water in the Caymans is fabulous for diving and snorkeling. I did my first open water dive there over 20 years ago now (YIKES). Seven Mile Beach is lovely. It's a great stop.

Please note that during Hurricane Season I am guessing (and this is JUST a guess) that the ships miss GC 10-20% of the time. Never marry yourself to a stop there. It's great when it all works, but it's a tender port and fairly shallow as well as hard to navigate.

Thanks. We will be traveling next May, I believe.

Would it be smarter to do a sting ray city tour and get dropped at 7 mile island?

Go to sting ray city and rent a jeep to get to Rum point?

Or do the tour that includes sting ray city and rum point?

Which is a better bet Rum point or 7 mile island?? What do they each have to offer?

Are their rental places at the port? I should mention we would be tendered and only in port from 8-4.

Would it be smarter to do a sting ray city tour and get dropped at 7 mile island?

Which is a better bet Rum point or 7 mile island?? What do they each have to offer?

Are their rental places at the port? I should mention we would be tendered and only in port from 8-4.

Well technically it's 7 Mile Beach, not island.

Do the stingray city tour first. If you get a full day or a half day trip you'll see a lot of the awesome things.

I am not into the turtle farm so much, but some people love it.

I'm not sure you'd have enough time to do a stingray tour, and then rent a car and drive to Rum Point. I would imagine that the last tender would be around 3:00 or so, so you need to be back in time to get in line.

I'd either do a stingray tour that also goes to Rum Point.

Or rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

Or do a snorkel and then be dropped off at 7 Mile Beach.

If you have any extra time, you could spend time in the port area. There are lots of shops and restaurants. You could also buy rum cakes (yum).

What you will find at Rum Point that you won't find on 7MB...

Free chairs-I don't think there's a place along 7MB that you can use their chairs for free.

Beyond that...they are similar.

Rum Point is very shady (lots of palm trees)...7MB doesn't have as many trees.

Both offer food, restrooms, water activities...depending on where you go at 7MB. You might consider Sea Grape. The beachs along 7MB are all public...you can plop your towel down anywhere...from Sea Grape...to the Hyatt...to anywhere else. There are beach access points every so many feet...usually between the hotels or condos. Sometimes they are nothing more than a narrow dirt path...and others look like they are better maintained. Some of the larger hotels offer passes that include a drink and chair. When we were there for the week, we noticed a lot of security at our place and the Marriott (which was next door). With so many cruise ships and so many people walking the beach area, they asked everyone if they guests so the hotel/condo guests would be able to find a chair.

I'm not sure if your tour will drop you off at Sea Grape. It's at the far end of the 7MB area. There's another area...I think it is the Royal Palms that's not too far down the 7MB area.

The downside to Sea Grape is the traffice. Traffic along 7MB tends to run very slow and you should allow a good 35-45 minutes to get back to the tender line.

There are many operators to choose from. Here are some to look at. I would think Stingray City and a drop at Seven Mile Beach would be good for me. We only had a short taxi ride back to town on our beach day, so we were pleased with that. No traffic issues that day.

http://mobydicktours.com/

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

http://www.sotoscruises.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The tours do not include booze. There are party boats and that's what you may be looking for.

If you do not wish to get in the water I would avoid Stingray City. In that case there is seven mile beach, a turtle farm and a couple of island tours.

Please keep in mind that Grand Cayman is not large and it's very flat.

The non ship StingRay City tours run around $40.00 a person with both Nativeways and Captain Marvin's.

If I don't scuba or don't want to get into any water, what can I do at stingray city? How far from the pier is it? Does anyone know what the cost to get in is (not as a cruise excursion but done independantly)?

I think the ride is about 45 minutes or from where they launch from. Costs vary from $30-$40 or so, it will also depend on how long your tour is (number of scuba stops, etc).

Stingray City is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean. That's pretty much it.

You asked about the ports on the Freedom's Western itinerary: Nativeway is my recommendation; We did a half day countryside tour to Hell & Turtlefarm others continued to a Sting Ray City Tour. It can be split; cost $20pp 1/2 day/$40 inc. Sting Rays -group tour negotiated for a full bus. Since we have been to GC many times we have just about done it all. Seven Mile beach is an easy option as taxi's will gladly drop you - Sea Grapes is a great stop with chairs and umbrella's for rent no entry fees. The ship's usually sell you Colony Beach Club. It is a rip off IMO. We have take the Atlantis sub also with a ship's tour. Next time (6th visit) I hope to do a Jeep tour to Rum Point.

Jamaica: been 5 times; a-zjamaicaplanners helps me enjoy our day. Don't just get in a taxi. Belinda is great for designing group tours. Rose Hall Mansion with Beach time is nice. We may do YS Falls, tubing, lunch, Pelican Bar and shopping stop on our next visit. We will see much more for much less.

Cozumel: If your group is into history, then a ship's tour to Tulum is a must but it will be exceptionally hot. We will take a taxi to Paradise Beach club for a relaxing day in the sun, water and sand. No entry fee just purchase drinks & food. If you want to enjoy use of the water toys, it is an $8 fee.

Labadee is a great day at the beach with lunch served by the ship's crew on land.

Bon Voyage

Archived