Mother's Day Call Home - Zenith-Bermuda

LindaandJeff

Well if it does not work you can call from the ship. :p Might cost you 20.00 for a few minutes but mom is worth it. But wait, you didn't take her with you for mother's day?

:D

Happy sailing!

What is the chance that a Cingular cell phone will work on SUnday - Mother's day to call upstate NY from the Zenith out of NJ on Saturday to Bermuda ---we should be about half way there...? Or am I toast?!?!:eek:

toast- not a chance in hell. You have to either have a satellite phone or use the ship's. Your cell will probably work in Bermuda but you are not there until Monday.

LindaandJeff -

Just returned and the above poster is correct, no chance it will work during the ride out there. Once you arrive in Bermuda it will work flawlessly. Have a great, great, great time. If you have been there before you already know what a wonderful place Bermuda is, if this is your 1st visit you are in for a real treat.

Thanks Boatlover !

I've been to Bermuda before but DH hasn't. I've always wanted to show him it so we couldn't pass up this deal on the Zenith. Do you have any tips you want to share?

LindaandJeff -

The biggest tip is one I should have taken from you - go Celebrity. It is a long story that I will condense - I was booked on a Star Princess / Western Caribbean with a college friend. The ship caught on fire, cruise was canceled. She couldn't go another time and I was feeling sorry for myself. My husband decided he would quickly arrange his schedule and we would book something together. It was last minute, very little availble, we ended up on Costa. We had previously sailed with Holland America and Celebrity. Had a great time but won't choose Costa again, nothing horrible, just not HAL or Celebrity.

We didn't have as much time in Bermuda as you will. Saw the Zenith in Hamilton, thought about trying to sneak on :). I assume you spend a few days in Hamilton and then sail for about 20 minutes over to St. George?

We rented a scooter. We had a great time. Just be careful making right hand turns!!! My husband is a trained grand prix motorcyclist and he goofed once and almost got us killed, but people in Bermuda are so gracious that the woman who we almost ran into just smiled and waved. Once we were in a parking lot looking at a map just trying to decide what we wanted to do next. Several nice people thought we might be lost and offered help. If you are not interested in scooter rental, public transportation will take you anywhere you want to go.

Our tablemates said Crystal Caves is worth a visit. Mostly we just rode the island taking in the sights and then stopped at a beaches. Horseshoe ?? is supposed to be the best of the pink sand beaches. It is in the Southhampton ?? area, closer to the naval dockyard.

We are already trying to figure out a time to get back to Bermuda. We love cruising and I think this is by far the most affordable way to travel to Bermuda, using the ship as a floating resort. By the time we fly (from metro Detroit) and book a resort the cost could easily be 2X's what a cruise would be. BUT, we would love to take our kids (7 & 3) and don't feel like they are ready to cruise so we may end up doing a land based trip there.

The water was still chilly the week of April 21st. I am sure it has warmed up but I would probably still find it a little too cool for snorkeling and the like. Curious to know the temp.

The other thing that I am sure you know is that Bermuda is pricey for shopping, food, and beverage. Eat on the ship. Shouldn't be too much of a hardship with Celebrity food!

I am not sure how much extra those cell calls we made from Bermuda will cost, if anything. If you haven't yet, notify you service provider before hand, several years ago we had to activate something with T-Mobile (our carrier for about 5 years now) so our phones would work in the Caribbean. We call home often to check on things so it is just easier to use cell phones rather than buying calling cards everywhere or going to an internet/phone cafe.

Have a great time, please post your thoughts upon return.

Yes, of course a Mom's worth it; but why not simply call her on Saturday? Your cell phone will still work before our ship leaves the dock.

We've already told our son that we'll be celebrating Mother's Day on Sunday, 5/21, the day after the trip.

On Sunday, try to relax, enjoy the Cruise Critic party, and stick the rose that Celebrity will give you behind your ear, between your teeth Spanish dancer style, or wherever it's fun. Joe

Yes, of course a Mom's worth it; but why not simply call her on Saturday? Your cell phone will still work before our ship leaves the dock.

And why not call her on Monday when you arrive in Bermuda.

LindaandJeff -

The biggest tip is one I should have taken from you - go Celebrity. It is a long story that I will condense - I was booked on a Star Princess / Western Caribbean with a college friend. The ship caught on fire, cruise was canceled. Have a great time, please post your thoughts upon return.

Boatlover -

Thanks for the info Boatlover! Sorry about your canceled trip on the Star but at least you weren't on her when she caught fire. We'll let you know how it goes....

JoanandJoe - or Joe -

We get a rose?!?! I'll have to start thinking about something creative:rolleyes:

Archived