Cruise Card/Cabin Key TIP

hookedup

TIP - For those of you who have not cruised yet - most people on board put their cruise card and cabin entrance card on a lanyard around their necks. These were $6.95 to buy on board. I know you can get them cheaper at home if you plan to use one and want to save a few $, or don't want a P&O souvenir. They came in pink and brown on our cruise.

quick question regarding cruise card... back in 2000 when on pac sky we were given a cruise card for buying things (cashless system) and also an actual key for cabin door/lock.

Just wanted to see if pac sun is up with technology and has swipe access on cabin doors instead of an actual key? Thanks

quick question regarding cruise card... back in 2000 when on pac sky we were given a cruise card for buying things (cashless system) and also an actual key for cabin door/lock.

Just wanted to see if pac sun is up with technology and has swipe access on cabin doors instead of an actual key? Thanks

Give me a real key every time.

I don't like so much information being printed on the Cruise Cards.

Pacific Sun Cards have not only your name and cabin number, but also your dinner time and seating. Given that most people put the room key and the cruise card together on the lanyard, if could be a disaster if you lose it. Say if someone finds it and wants to rob your cabin...they not only have your door key and room number, but they also know when you are most likely going to be out of the room. Not good!:confused:

Minorca

I don't like so much information being printed on the Cruise Cards.

Pacific Sun Cards have not only your name and cabin number, but also your dinner time and seating. Given that most people put the room key and the cruise card together on the lanyard, if could be a disaster if you lose it. Say if someone finds it and wants to rob your cabin...they not only have your door key and room number, but they also know when you are most likely going to be out of the room. Not good!:confused:

Minorca

That maybe so but if you have them together they're going to be on a lanyard around your neck & really, what are your chances of losing them if they're tied around your neck? There's always a possibility for everything but what would life be like if we went through life with the "what if"'s? I truly think the majority of people on a cruise who find a key & cruise card will report it rather than "rob" you. Maybe I'm too trusting but that's my opinion.

Karen

funny you should mention about not losing the cards as my son found TWO cards on two separate days.I wuld also like to think that someone would hand the key in, besides where would they stash the stuff, not that there was much of value in our room. always had our key and camera with us and everything else in the safe. I think it is a much better alternative than lugging money around with you

You would be amazed at how many people do lose their cards. On our Sun cruise the pursers desk had an icecream container full of them. One of the kids in our group left hers in the toilet and when she went back to look for it, it was gone. They deactivate the card as soon as you report it so it cannot be used.

I think the cruise card is a good idea, but I can see how some lose theirs, they unhook their cards when they are paying for drinks etc. and when the waiter comes back with it I have seen people just leave it on their table and not hook it back up. That would be one way they lose them. I still think it is much better than paying cash and just about everyone used a lanyard, our choice was blue or pink. I took one from home but it actually cost me more. I think they are a good souvenier but a little short in length, you have to bend a bit to insert your card key to your room. That's why I bought a longer one at home.

I think the cruise card is a good idea, but I can see how some lose theirs, they unhook their cards when they are paying for drinks etc. and when the waiter comes back with it I have seen people just leave it on their table and not hook it back up. That would be one way they lose them. I still think it is much better than paying cash and just about everyone used a lanyard, our choice was blue or pink. I took one from home but it actually cost me more. I think they are a good souvenier but a little short in length, you have to bend a bit to insert your card key to your room. That's why I bought a longer one at home.

I left mine at the Photographers desk one day on Star, only noticed it when I went to buy a drink and didn't have it with me, luckily that was straight away. They were happy to give it back to me, when I went back, just asked my name and cabin number.

Bigger fright for me was thinking I'd lost my wallet during the boarding process at Pinkenba. After a few minutes of panic, I discovered I'd put it in the wrong pocket of my trousers - a pocket I never put it in normally. I knew I hadn't left it at home or somewhere on the way to the ship, because I'd had it out to give them my credit card to record it at checkin.

Coming off the ship, my Dad left his bum bag with his wallet, passport etc sitting at the quarantine x-ray machine, and only realised it was missing just as we were about to get on the bus to Roma St. Of course he couldn't go back through customs/quarantine to get it, but one of the security guards did and he got it back ok.

So it's not only cruise cards that are the problem.

Archived