Port or Starboard

Not sure it really matters, unless you plan to see the view only from your balcony.

Port out,Starboard home (POSH) mattered only when ships (to and from the Far East) relied on breezes coming through port holes to cool your cabin.

I'm wondering the same thing for our Caribbean Princess cruise.

Is it better to be on the port or starboard side of the ship for Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel? I like to go out on my balcony when the ship comes into port and check it out before we get off the ship.

We have two balcony cabins--we're on port side and the kids are on starboard. Which of us will have the better view coming into port?

Thanks!

Jayne

Is it better to be on the port or starboard side of the ship for Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel? I like to go out on my balcony when the ship comes into port and check it out before we get off the ship.

We have two balcony cabins--we're on port side and the kids are on starboard. Which of us will have the better view coming into port?

There's no way to know for sure. Nine times out of ten the ship might pull in with the starboard side to port. The tenth time they might back in with the port side next to the port.

I suspect that the weather and other factors (first in? last in? what time they're leaving?) affects whether the ship pulls in or backs in to the dock.

I've been wondering the same thing. We currently have rooms on the port side I think. How do you figure that out? Is it odd numbers vs even numbers?

MadamG2U

Port is even numbered cabin numbers and Starboard is odd numbered cabin numbers. If you are facing toward the front of the ship (which is the bow), port would be on your left and starboard would be on your right. The aft would be behind you. :)

Both the QM 2 and the Golden Princess backed into the terminal. Leaving you need to be on the Starboard side for the best view of the Statue of Liberty. I assume that most ships of this size 100,000 tons or more will all back in. The port side for both was attached to the pier. I Posted pictures of the Golden at the Port. here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343223

Not sure it really matters, unless you plan to see the view only from your balcony.

No, hadn't planned on that, I was just asking. It would, however, be nice to be leaving NY and be in the privacy of our room/balcony.

If it is possible you really need to be on top to take it all in.

Isn't it always?

One thing is for sure......If you don't see the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, etc. on the way out, you will see it on the way back...Or vice-versa. The ship has to come back the same way it went out.

DH and I already discussed this - that will certainly make for an early morning on the last day, but it'll be worth it!

Both the QM 2 and the Golden Princess backed into the terminal. Leaving you need to be on the Starboard side for the best view of the Statue of Liberty. I assume that most ships of this size 100,000 tons or more will all back in. The port side for both was attached to the pier. I Posted pictures of the Golden at the Port. here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343223

Thank you - they are great pictures!

on a ship going out of Red Hook -- which is the better side for a balcony cabin to "see it all" (Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, etc.)?

Well, depends on whether you want to say goodbye or hello.

As we leave Red Hook we will pass through Buttermilk Channel into the East river. The Statue of Liberty will be on the Starbord side. Returning home it will be to port.

Lower Manhattan is really starbord/aft.

BTW, don't miss being able to look up as you go under the V. narrows bridge. It's awesome.

If you want to do the virtual tour, start here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&t=k&om=1&ll=40.696648,-74.022017&spn=0.041843,0.080509

-----Burton

Thank you all so much for the information. I have just e-mailed my TA to change our cabin. I didn't realize that we would back in when we get back. And it's not like I intend to spend the entire 9-days on my balcony, but DH and I would certainly like to have alone time on the balcony and leaving NY and seeing Lady Liberty would be awesome without a lot of people right there.

Madam, I've also read that on the cabin decks the carpet is one color on port and a different color on starboard. Helps when you get off those elevators and can't figure out where you are. ;)

Thanks for the explaining the difference. My family and I are on the port side. To me it really doesn't matter just as long as I'm on the ship! MadamG2U

Ok, so I e-mailed my TA and asked her to change our cabin to the Starboard side, which she did. She e-mailed me back and proceeded to tell me that not only did she get our cabin changed, but inquired with Princess as to what promotions there were and lo and behold she scored us each a $100 OBC for a total of $200 - woohoo! Oh happy day.

Archived