Vancouver Info if needed

If it was good enough for Howard Hughes, it is fine for us.

You are right, you have a good memory. That was back when it was just the Bayshore Inn not the Weston Bayshore, it'sTrader Vic's was the hot restaurant in town and the Bayshore's parking lot extended right up to West Georgia. Oh, and HH died shortly after he stayed there.

Our cruise will terminate in Vancouver. The ship docks at 6am - our plane doesn't leave until 2pm. What can we do with our luggage so we can get to Stanley Park for the day? any suggestions are welcome.

While the ship may dock at 6am, chances are you wont be off until 8 or 9, which then doesn't leave as much time. Also remember that in Vancouver airport you'll be clearing US Customs and Immegration for re-entry to the United States, which takes a little bit longer than a normal checkin/security.

Our cruise will terminate in Vancouver. The ship docks at 6am - our plane doesn't leave until 2pm. What can we do with our luggage so we can get to Stanley Park for the day? any suggestions are welcome.

I also agree at 2 PM flt won't give you much time after getting off the ship. Maybe some sort of tour all combined to get you to the airport would work ??

Cruise line perhaps ?? or car hire on your own..

While the ship may dock at 6am, chances are you wont be off until 8 or 9, which then doesn't leave as much time. Also remember that in Vancouver airport you'll be clearing US Customs and Immegration for re-entry to the United States, which takes a little bit longer than a normal checkin/security.

scottbee is quite right, plus once off the ship you will need about 45 mins or so to get your bags and clear Canadian customs, you can wait for up to an hour for a taxi then it is a 30/35 min ride to the airport and you need to be there 2 full hours before your flight in order to clear US customs and security.

From what you're all saying, we won't have time for lunch at the Pink Pearl? Guess if the ship doesn't have a tour after we leave the ship, it's the airport for us. Sad, but better to know now.

Oh, you didn't say you were planning lunch at the Pink Pearl....that changes everything. :D Seriously though, judge you time once in you are in your cab but in my mind the real issue would be getting a cab to the airport post lunch.

If I read your posts right you are sailing on an RCCL ship - they usually berth at Ballantyne Pier which is a longer trip to the airport BUT you are close to the Pink Pearl - any reason that you have selected the Pink Pearl?

Cheers

Dennis

PD and others - I know we were talking about BC Ferries Circle Pac on one of these threads either here or on the West Coast board and whether it still exist. While the answer is yes the program still exists;

http://www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/circlepac/

I was looking up some info for a friend on the BC Ferries web site when I found the link.

Cheers

Dennis

Good find, I wonder why they would hide it like that oh well I will just have to phone David Hahn and get the scoop. Maybe its because they are a just to busy fixing props (low blow).

I hope that sueleckie see these posts but it maybe to late for them.

We will be staying at the Delta Airport Hotel for a couple of days pre-cruise.

Could anyone advise if there is nearby public transit to downtown areas. We are leaving very soon and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Could anyone advise if there is nearby public transit to downtown areas. We are leaving very soon and would appreciate any advice.

For 2010 we will have a new ELS system connecting the airport with downtown but in the meantime we have to deal with a bus system. Here a link to our transit system which will give you schedules and fares.

www.translink.bc.ca/

Thanks

There is a fairly large bus stop just out the front of this property which I suspect will get you to anywhere in the system...

Putt, U.T. and other Canadians.....just received an email with the Cochrane Mural pictured. Have y'all seen that ?? I think it is one of the most imaginative murals/paintings I have ever seen. If you have not seen it....go to www.muralmosaic.com and you will see several, but the one with the horse being petted (right side of page) is from Cochrane, which I was told is near Banff. Be sure and click on the individual tiles, esp. the horses eye and the tiles around his eye. Fantastic. Enjoy......gg

If I read your posts right you are sailing on an RCCL ship - they usually berth at Ballantyne Pier which is a longer trip to the airport BUT you are close to the Pink Pearl - any reason that you have selected the Pink Pearl?

Cheers

Dennis

We loved the Pink Pearl............we'e fished in BC about 5 times in the last 10 years...........done the wall, a fly in trip to Victoria Island to Painters Lodge, fished the

fraiser River, visited the hot springs out there, stayed in a great hotel with the hot springs right outside our bedroom door. We also did a two week trip just touring BC - using the ferries, trains, trams etc. One trip we visited all the gardens in Vancouver - then went to Buchart Gardens in Victoria. Our most fun is flying with the mail and seeing all the lumber camps and other areas without roads. We love BC....was hoping to eat one more meal at the Pink Pearl this trip..but have no time to stay over - used all our vacation in Hawaii:D .

We loved the Pink Pearl............we'e fished in BC about 5 times in the last 10 years...........done the wall, a fly in trip to Victoria Island to Painters Lodge, fished the

fraiser River, visited the hot springs out there, stayed in a great hotel with the hot springs right outside our bedroom door. We also did a two week trip just touring BC - using the ferries, trains, trams etc. One trip we visited all the gardens in Vancouver - then went to Buchart Gardens in Victoria. Our most fun is flying with the mail and seeing all the lumber camps and other areas without roads. We love BC....was hoping to eat one more meal at the Pink Pearl this trip..but have no time to stay over - used all our vacation in Hawaii:D .

I'm curious..what/where is the Pink Pearl ?

and as you did the Fraser could I ask how and with whom you did it ?

Thanks

The Pink Pearl is a great Chinese restaurant at 1132 E. Hastings, I think there was some kind of an issue there a few years ago. However a lot of people think it is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the city. It is a place that if we could sneak away from the ofice for a longish lunch we would go and DW and I have been there on many occasions on a weekend for dim sum.

http://www.pinkpearl.com/

We did the Fraser with a private guide recommended by the folks at the Spa in Harrison Hot Springs we stayed in. We had a great adventure. Never fished such a racing river with the salamon running. Can't remember the name of the guide - but I'm sure the posters on this board will be able to help. As for the Pink Pearl, we always eat there at the beginning and end of our trips. That and the Fish House at Stanley Park. Guess we are creatures of habit. We're feeling very bad about our timing of the April 09 trip........we finally chose to spend a week pre-cruise in Honolulu rather than the four days we previously planned. Didn't leave any time at the end of the trip for a post cruise stay in Vancouver. Will just have to plan another trip to this great city.

Actually I have eaten at the Pink Pearl - the last time was at a $100.00 a plate political fundraiser for our local candidate where I was a head table guest with the current premier of this province back in 2001 - no longer involved in active politics.

Being downtown now there are other Chinese restaurants that are available without having to venture to the Pink Pearl.

Wonder if PD or others can remember back about 40 - 50 years ago when there was a burger chain called the Lions Drive Inn - I went to school with the owner's son and the Pink Pearl was the location of one of his drive-ins.

That's all for now

Cheers

Dennis

There are a lot on the river, especially from the Chilliwack side, but it's probably Harrison Bay Guided Services, which has an office in the hotel. They have a great reputation and pick up at the float plane dock in Harrison. I gave DH and his friends an evening on the river a couple of years ago for DH's birthday, and the salmon weren't biting, so the guides regeared and they went after sturgeon. DH caught a 4 footer, which is just a baby, but he was thrilled as can be. http://www.harrisonbay.com/

STS Guiding Services is another well-respected local outfit. I see a lot of happy fishermen and women getting out of their boats on the dock. http://www.guidebc.com/ It's worth looking at their website to see the story of an 83 year old man's trip and the giant sturgeon he pulled in.

If you want a really great non-fishing tour on the Harrison River from guys who know the river like the back of their hand, try Sasquatch Tours. It's owned by the chief's family at Chehalis First Nations, and these guys are first class. http://www.sasquatchtours.com/culturalcruises.htm

Viv

We did the Fraser with a private guide recommended by the folks at the Spa in Harrison Hot Springs we stayed in. We had a great adventure. Never fished such a racing river with the salamon running. Can't remember the name of the guide - but I'm sure the posters on this board will be able to help. As for the Pink Pearl, we always eat there at the beginning and end of our trips. That and the Fish House at Stanley Park. Guess we are creatures of habit. We're feeling very bad about our timing of the April 09 trip........we finally chose to spend a week pre-cruise in Honolulu rather than the four days we previously planned. Didn't leave any time at the end of the trip for a post cruise stay in Vancouver. Will just have to plan another trip to this great city.

thanks .. we are in that area and I was just curious about who was doing the good job on the river. We take it all for granted sometime I think.

Pink Pear sounds interesting :) We get into town a bit may give it a whirl.

Dennis... bet Gord's feeling the pinch this morning eh??. Hopefully the masses have short memories about pay raises and long memories about other stuff. Ah.... the politics of Lotus Land. :)