I am looking for a great tour ( private) in this area. I don't think i want to see Alhambra, appears to be overwhelming. We like "off the beaten track" things. Any suggestions?

There is almost nothing which is "off the beaten track" on the Costa del Sol, but some places are beach resorts and the others more mountainous.

The latter are generally quieter.

We are docking in Malaga later this month and instead of heading west to the beach resorts we are heading east. To Nerja, Caves of Nerja, Frigiliana etc. We are doing this by public transport. Whilst reading up on this area, I discovered that guide books also recommend driving as this area is scenic. There are many suggested routes. In La Axarquia area, there are 5 routes. one is Sun and avocado, Sun and wine, Raisin route, Oil and mountains, architecture and villages. And thats only in one area. There are mountain ranges, white village tours etc. Too much to choose from.

Try looking at/borrowing from a library and guide book on Andalucia for suggestions, or google the internet for info. You should find lots of info so that you can choose which is likely to interest you most.:)

Really depends on what time of year you are there and how much time you have. Driving was easy but we were there last May and the really crowded period is from June-August when traffic is at its peak. Major Spanish cities like Granada, Cordoba or Sevilla are 2-3 hour drives. Highways are great but we parked and did not drive within those cities. Old town Marbella, the beach and paseo are about 45 minutes from Malaga. Ronda and many white villages are about an hour and a half ride. Mijas with it's donkey taxis is the closest maybe a half hour plus drive. Most of the timeshares and hotels might be able to hook you up with bus tours for the day or part of the day. They make their rounds and many stops before they tour. Try to e-mail the Marriott in Marbella for tour operators and then you might contact them directly for info.

Marty

Archived