New England Landmarks

chessie68

I love to be up on deck when the ship is either coming or going in and out of ports. We'll be on the Norwegian Dawn, heading up the coast in September, stopping at Martha's Vineyard, Halifax, Bar harbor, and Newport. Are there any great sites or interesting landmarks we should be watching out for along the way.

All of these exceot Haifax are tender ports.

halfax is an interesting Harbor, since its where the conveys to Europe gathered both in WW 1 and 2.

You can see the church where John and Jackie Kenedy where married in NewPort and Hammersmiths farm(where Jackie lived and grew up in the summer)

Other than that and lighthouses you don't see that much near land.

I have pictures of this trip(except for Matha's vineyard)

Tendering into Edgartown you will see some of the locations where the movie JAWS was filmed, but unfortunately, without a little research you may not know what to look for.

Last post is correct-- cruise ships tender into Oak bluffs--Be sure to walk around "cottage city" with all the old gingerbread houses--and take a ride on the oldest working merry-go-round in the U.S.:D :D

As you approach Newport, RI, from the starboard side of ND, look for Fort Adams (State Park). Construction started on the fort in 1824 and was completed 30+ years later. Go here for a pic & additional info: http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/fortadams.html

The ND will be going very slowly at this point because it will be nearing its anchoring area just past the fort.

I have a panorama that includes Fort Adams here: http://www.pbase.com/joneruss/image/57453125 . There is a cruise ship in the pic at the approx. spot ND will anchor. The fort is to the left of the cruise ship and behind some red buildings.

You can't see these from ND, but while ashore tour the Breakers mansion and do Cliff Walk.

SBtS

Sailbad, your photo was absolutely beautiful.....

Thank you!

And

I see you are doing Bar Harbor (BH) also. The most prominent feature there would be Cadillac Mountain (CM) which is in Acadia National Park. I would recommend a tour that takes you to the summit of CM. The vistas (on a clear day) are not to be missed.

And

You are in luck because I have a panorama of BH's harbor taken from the town dock. It is smaller than my Newport pano so it should load quicker. Here is the link: http://www.pbase.com/joneruss/image/49389594

When I was there last year, the Maasdam was visiting and was anchored inside the islands approx. between the 2nd and 3rd island from the left about a five minute ride to the town dock.

Since I suggested touring the Breakers while in Newport in my original post, here is a pic of the front gate and the mansion. http://www.pbase.com/joneruss/image/50363597/large

SBtS

where did you stay in Edgartown?? that is where we live !!

The Edgartown Lodge. Cute little place. Just a short walk from all the "stuff". It was a last minute trip last June for JAWSFest. Our son loves Jaws and we had a great time. Your town and island are beautiful. We will be back.

Archived