I Dove the Grove

sea-jay

...and have the T-shirt to prove it.

Last weekend, I was in Key Largo and had my first opportunity to dive on the USS Spiegal Grove. This is an old Navy Ship (Landing Ship Dock for the swabbies out there) that was sunk as an artifical reef in 2002. Vis wasn't the best (about 25-30') and there was quite a bit of silt and sediment in the water. The neat thing about this dive is that I sailed on her in 1964 on a cruise to the Med. when I was in the Marines. Old home week for me. Of course, the ship looked a lot better in 1964.

In addition to the dive on the Grove, we did 5 other dives at various locations in the John Pennecamp Underwater Marine Sanctuary. The reefs were beautiful and lively. Lots of reef fish and a few large barracudas. Since most of the reef is less than 45', there weren't a lot of large fish. I have some fairly decent photos that I will be posting on my webshots page as soon as I sign up for an expanded access. I will post a note when the photos are up.

As an off-scuba topic, how does everyone like the new boards? I still haven't learned all the nuances yet, like how to include a smilie in the text of my message but I will do so shortly.

BFN - Will chat later.

WTG you dive dog. You really need to post a photo to verify this feat.

How much does you image hosting cost? If is more than $3 a month, I would like to suggest that you take a look at Allenhost.com They offer photo gallery hosting for $3 a month. I use them for my web hosting and an quite happy.

As an off-scuba topic, how does everyone like the new boards? I still haven't learned all the nuances yet, like how to include a smilie in the text of my message but I will do so shortly.

I like the new message board. It is the same software that scuba board uses. It does have a lot of more advanced features. Plus the search function works.

If you haven't tried it, scubaboard is a good place for divers. They even have a section for cruise divers.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures are still working.

Bruce -

I just signed up with Webshots for $29.88/Year. They give me up to 3,000 photos and will also let me know how many views and downloads of my photos (if I allow downloads) there have been. I can download their system photos as well as other posters (If they allow).

Hopefully I will be able to post them this weekend.

Ok Sea-Jay, the links are up and running........ and thanks for letting me know they were not working right :eek: Have fun, there are pictures from Crystal River to Key Largo to Cozumel & Grand Cayman :D

Nita

Hi Nita,

Nice pictures! I thought I recognized myself in a few of them and then I realized that I was there!!! The Conquest seems so long ago. Too bad I won't be with you guys on the Miracle, I am going a few weeks earlier.

Take care

Steve

OOoooooooo Sea-Jay........ I want to see your pictures :D . we are diving in Key Largo, Labor Day Weekend, 3 days of diving :D and were planning to dive the Grove, Reefs, and do the Shark feeding. I can't wait. We'll be diving West Palm this weekend.

Nita

Just wanted to let people know that I have posted my pictures of our dive in West Palm. We had a great weekend calm seas, temp. was 84 top to bottom & about 80+ ft. Vis. look under Boynton Beach July 17 & 18.

Have fun

Nita

Nita - Can't make it over that weekend. DW just booked me for the Epcot Dive Quest at the Living Seas for the preceding weekend for my birthday.:D

It's a 40 min. dive in the aquarium at Epcot. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I understand they offer the same kind of dive at the aquarium in Tampa-St Pete. Have you heard anything like that?

Also, you will have plenty of time to dive in Nassua on the Sovereign. Have fun.

You'll enjoy the Living Seas, we did that dive at the beginning of

this month........nothing challenging, but still something different

and interacting with the spectators at the glass is a total gas.

Archived