Is it safe to leave your car in Red Hook

Cunard Cruiser

I am going on back to back crossings and was wondering if anyone has left there car at the Red Hook terminal and found it when they arrived back.

Any comments would be helpful.[/quote

I wouldnt leave my car there!!!!!!just one mans opinion !!!!!!!!!!

There are only 5 cars there right now! Is it safe? Its patrolled. Snapple trucks are right accross the street. There are Movie trailers parked at the lot next to it. Its probably as safe as the long term lots at the NY Airports.

Hey 2 moose you know something we don't know? Has the Mafia targeted it?

I haven't heard of any problems so far but its only been open since 4/15

There are only 5 cars there right now! Is it safe?

Are you actually leaving your car at the terminal or is it like Southampton where you drop your car at the terminal but then it's parked somewhere else?

I've read of other cruisers here who have parked their car there with no problems.

I did not park there but would not hestitate to do so in future, particularly since some cruise lines now include free parking.

New York is NOT the worst city for car theft -- you just hear about it more often (due to the major media located there).

Are you actually leaving your car at the terminal or is it like Southampton where you drop your car at the terminal but then it's parked somewhere else?

Its a self park and lock within sight of the pier. If you look at the shots I posted about the terminal either on the Cunard thread or the Princess thread about the Golden Princess being docked there. You can see the parking lot and beyond the parking lot is the terminal. In the pictures of the ship from the front, the parking area is immediately to the front and to my right of the ship. You can see where you get on to the ship from the terminal. The entrance to the pier is to my right of that.

There are only 5 cars there right now! Is it safe? Its patrolled. Snapple trucks are right accross the street. There are Movie trailers parked at the lot next to it. Its probably as safe as the long term lots at the NY Airports.

Hey 2 moose you know something we don't know? Has the Mafia targeted it?

I haven't heard of any problems so far but its only been open since 4/15

Your last line says it all its something new with no track record and i have no idea what security is at this location!! I wouldnt leave my car at the airport either. One thing is for sure the operators of these type of parking lots will not take the responsibility of your loss or damage. Any way sedans and limos are very affordable and really convienant so why take the risk. No fun when you return home aand the wheels or the car is missing or damaged!!right???

Your last line says it all its something new with no track record and i have no idea what security is at this location!! I wouldnt leave my car at the airport either. One thing is for sure the operators of these type of parking lots will not take the responsibility of your loss or damage. Any way sedans and limos are very affordable and really convienant so why take the risk. No fun when you return home aand the wheels or the car is missing or damaged!!right???

Right except many people in NY City don't have the luxury of a garage so they have to put them somewhere. The airport parking lots aren't empty so many people must disagree with you. As for the issue of damage- I have my car insurance that pays. A lot can't disclaim their liability for their own negligence no matter what the ticket says, but that will be a problem for my insurance company(and comprehensive claims as opposed to collision claims don't increase your insurance)...you house and car can be broken into in your own garage too!

so you don't have any inside info that this has been targeted...

I would not think twice about parking there. And, that would eliminate any issues about waiting for cabs or limo's etc. You just get off the ship and go home. Nice option for those that can do it.

As to Airport parking, I know some people would never do it. But, I have done it, sometimes weekly for 15-20 years. On airport, and off airport. What I really do not understand is those folks that always need someone to TAKE them to the airport and to pick them up, wasting all kinds of time. So much easier to drive, park and go and then to have your car right there when you get home (late because of a delayed flight).

Archived