photos of new River Royale

bargee

Bargee-

are you doing your own air or Uniworld's? We're doing our own air, going into Lyon a couple of days early and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem for us to pick up the boat in Lyon versus the airport transfer. Any thoughts or input?

and be sure to post on your return- I'm anxious to get more information.

bargee-

this will be our first river cruise as well- I called Uniworld and they said it was no problem to join the boat in Lyon although we're on our own to get to it (as in taxi....). We're going to go to Lyon a couple days early and use my Hilton Honors points for a "free" hotel (the Euro is a killer right now!) to rest up before the trip.

We're coming from the Pacific Northwest and it's a long haul so wanted to be sure and feel good when we start the boat trip. I have a customer whose brother lives in Lyon and he said it's a beautiful city so a couple extra days there sounds good.

Please do post on your return- I'm so anxious for more information!

Safe travels.

Quick report on the River Royale

The ship itself is excellent we had a category 1 with the sliding door, excellent if you like to sit in your room with the door open and watch the world go by. The category 2 staterooms are actually bigger and have a very large Window. The lounge and restaurant have large windows and are enjoyable when sailing. Our itinerary departed from Arles and went north, the itinerary will be improved in 2007 with the ship going north or south; from or too Paris, without the back and forth trips to Lyon. The stops are interesting and fun but a few were two short and some were to long. The disappointing parts of the trip were the food onboard, not that it was bad it just was not one thinks of when on a cruise thru Provence, and the odd back and forth trips to Lyon. The highlights were many with some being dinner at Paul Bocuse, the River Royale and its crew and most of all the cruise Manager Alexandria she was marvelous with punctuality and spirit that keep a very diverse group Happy and satisfied. Also two of the local guides stand out from the rest Jeanette and Frances (both will be your guides in Arles Avingon and Viviers look for them you wont be disappointed)

Would I do it again YES could it be better yes but it was only the fourth cruise so overall the trip was excellent. Please feel free to ask me questions

holomuku

The ship will be docked right in front of the University of Lyon under the University Bridge only a few blocks from the train station.

On a seperate note buy your wine in the towns you visit and save a ton on the cost of the wines onboard. There is a $7 corkage fee but you will still be way ahead as excellent wines can be had for $3-$7 Euros

cktrvavels-

welcome home! and thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

we ended up in a Cat 2 cabin, all the Cat 1's were taken. Perhaps we should waitlist for a Cat 1?

a few ?'s if you don't mind- what was it about the food you didn't care for? too American maybe?

also, wardrobe wise- any suggestions, anything you're particularly glad you took or didn't take and wish you did?

I think we'll be okay getting on in Lyon, the Hilton shows a University very close, hopefully it's the same one.

great tip on the wine. Do they mind storing unused bottles for use another evening? I tend to prefer white and my other half prefers red and we don't nomrally drink an entire bottle each (at least not if we want to remember the vacation!).

thanks again for the info, and appreciate your sharing your experience.

The food was hit and miss nothing was outstanding and a few items were terrible, overall the food was good though not what I was expecting from a cruise thru France. Choices are very limited 2 entrees and 1-2 appetizers and desserts every other course is without choice and some nights only the Entree had and option. The bread is excellent as is the icecream. I would not waitlist for the cat 1 the cat 2 is bigger and the window is huge. I believe they will store the wine if you do not drink the whole bottle, this was not an issue for me :).

We ate lunch ashore at every opportunity and I highly suggest it for a more French experience. The brassieres are excellent we did not find a single one that we did not like.

I found it very interesting that the cruise mangers schedule was 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, the ship crew works a 7 or 8 week schedule with 2 weeks off and the captain is 3 on 2 off.

I enjoyed the small towns over the time spent in Lyon; this is a personal opinion as I come from a small town and enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere

I don't think it is possible to have a bad time on this cruise; my only real disappointment was that the food was not what I expected from a French River cruise. Though I have to admit that most guests were enjoying the food!

The ship and crew were outstanding in there service and attitude!! And the cruise Manager Alexandria was amazing.

The only other issue that they are working on is the internet and Satilite TV, service was not available while in Lyon and was hit or miss everywere else. CNN, Sky News and the English travel chanell are your only English speaking options.

Learn the basic greatings in French and you will have a much more enjoyable experience when ashore as only about 30% of the French speak English accoring to the Hotel manager. A good phrase book will go a long way, I would recommend one with Menu decoder.

Holomuku,

Have returned(reluctantly) from our trip to the Pacific Northwest and Vancouver, BC. You live in a very beautiful part of the US. We enjoyed seeing friends and exploring BC.

In answer to your wine question--they will keep your bottle until you finish it. We have found that the menues are not as extensive as ocean cruises. We need to remember that the ship is smaller , the kitchen is smaller therefore is follows the storage is smaller. On our two European cruises, we found the food to be high quality restaurant food. The second cruise (Black Sea to Amsterdam), during the first week the food was not what the hotel manager thought was suitable, so when we docked in Budapest, the chef and the maitre'd left us and everything improved. We have found that the Europeans usually do not scramble eggs the way we Americans do. I found that I could order eggs at the omelet station--either fried or scrambled. We never had a bad meal. I am not as adventerous an eater as my husband, but I always found the entrees wonderful.

Bring 2 pair of walking shoes, so you can switch --also helps to have a dry pair in case of rain. A nice pair of sandals will do for all shipboard needs. Some of us got to feeling so comfortable with one another that slippers could be seen around the ship.

Hope you enjoy your first River Cruise. They are addicting. Pat

Pat and CKtravels-

Pat- glad you enjoyed your visit to this area. We've had some nice weather and it's really a pretty time of year here. May and October are (IMHO) are two of our best months. None are awful, some just better than others!

thanks for the info. Food is not a big priority to me so I'm sure we'll be fine. In general, as long as I don't have to fix it or clean it I'm a happy camper.

the wine- now THAT'S a priority! Glad to hear they'll store it for us.

again, appreciate all the tips. Can't wait to go!

just have to share-- kind of a long story but long time friends of mine (32 years) are in France for the summer. They live in Kauai, Hawaii and were in San Francisco a few weeks ago before they left for France and I met up with them for dinner. Somewhat kiddingly I said hey- since we'll all be in France in August-- why don't you join us?

I got an email from them yesterday asking about specifics on the boat, etc. THEY BOOKED IT!! They just booked the River Royale and will be traveling with us. Now I REALLY can't wait!

good friends, good scenery, good wine- it's going to be great!

thanks for "listening".....

Archived