First Cruise - Alaska on Mercury

NancyHawaii

Hi. I just booked my parents on their very first cruise - July 14 on Celebrity Mercury.

Their flight gets into Seattle around 7am on 7/14 and the cruise does not depart until 5pm.

Any suggestions on what they should do in the couple of hours? I was thinking of booking them on a guided city tour. Any suggestions on which tour/company is good?

Also, what kind of transportation is available from the airport to the pier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha, Nancy

Nancy,

We're on the July 14th sailing with our children and grandchildren. Check out our Roll Call on the Celebrity Roll Call Board and sign your parents up for the Celebrity Connections party...we're still short about 4 people. If they have any questions, please post them. We did this cruise once before on the Galaxy and loved it. We'll be in Seattle for an overnight before embarking but plan to board early since our family hasn't cruised before except for a short Disney cruise 5 years ago. Want them to enjoy getting familiar with the ship and settled before sailaway.

Nancy,

We're on the July 14th sailing with our children and grandchildren. Check out our Roll Call on the Celebrity Roll Call Board and sign your parents up for the Celebrity Connections party...we're still short about 4 people. If they have any questions, please post them. We did this cruise once before on the Galaxy and loved it. We'll be in Seattle for an overnight before embarking but plan to board early since our family hasn't cruised before except for a short Disney cruise 5 years ago. Want them to enjoy getting familiar with the ship and settled before sailaway.

Hi Sheila,

I signed up my parents and 2 of their friends for the CC party... so it's good to go :) They will also arrive in Seattle the night before. I'm trying to find a hotel in downtown Seattle that will offer free shuttle to Pier 66. I contacted several hotels around the airport area and they will not provide shuttle to the pier.

Just curious...have you used Priceline for hotel reservations? I was reading on this forum and people have gotten Westin or Sheraton downtown for $105/nite.

Nancy

Nancy,

We're staying at the Springhill Suites...couldn't find anything reasonable downtown since we needed 3 rooms. Priceline will only let you book one room at a time and we wanted to be sure to be in the same hotel and have a free breakfast. My understanding is that a taxi from there isn't too expensive and there may be a shuttle?? Frineds who live in Seattle say that July is the most expensive month.

Good luck and thanks for registering the 'final four'. Did you get notification about the party...as I did??

Nancy,

We're staying at the Springhill Suites...couldn't find anything reasonable downtown since we needed 3 rooms. Priceline will only let you book one room at a time and we wanted to be sure to be in the same hotel and have a free breakfast. My understanding is that a taxi from there isn't too expensive and there may be a shuttle?? Frineds who live in Seattle say that July is the most expensive month.

Good luck and thanks for registering the 'final four'. Did you get notification about the party...as I did??

Hi Sheila,

Yes, I did receive confirmation for the party. I received the emails almost immediately after signing them up.

The Springhill Suites is $239 a nite. Hopefully I can find someone a little lower in price.

Aloha, Nancy

Nancy,

We were able to get a gov't rate since my husband works part time for our local PD. Did you check senior, AAA, and other discounts? Another thought is to call the hotel direct and ask for their best rate. Sometimes much better than online.

Another one (not in as good a location but with a shuttle to downtown) is the Silver Cloud on Lake Union.

Good luck

There is a place at the pier that they can leave their luggage until they head to the ship... then there is a free bus that runs along the piers.. lots of little stores ect there... or they could take the walk up to Pike Place Market... its a fun place almost anytime of day.. they can actually get onboard the ship about noon...(maybe even 11) so they really only have a few hours to kill.. that could easily be done on the waterfront itself... and Pikes place market is just up the hill ... but tell them to hop on the free bus for about 1/2 mile to the shops along the pier...

There is a hotel right next door to pier 66... within walking distance. its called the Edgewater.. but I am afraid it might be kinda pricey... could be worth checking out.. That is the hotel the Beatles stayed at when they first came to America... they were seen fishing from their hotel room.. hahah it really is a very nice place..

Tell them to enjoy their cruise... hope they are bringing some binoculars..

Ken

Nancy,

We were able to get a gov't rate since my husband works part time for our local PD. Did you check senior, AAA, and other discounts? Another thought is to call the hotel direct and ask for their best rate. Sometimes much better than online.

Another one (not in as good a location but with a shuttle to downtown) is the Silver Cloud on Lake Union.

Good luck

For those who are arriving the nite before and needs a place to stay... I found this.

Comfort Inn & Suites Sea-Tac - $107.10 (Internet User's rate)... but if you do a search on www.otel.com, the same room is listed for $83. Comfort Inn has a best rate guarantee on their website. They will match the lower rate plus give you 10%...so the new rate is $74.70.

... is the best-known local company. If I were a tourist without enough time to drive myself around, this one sounds good:

http://graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1232

You'd want to ask Gray Line what your parents could do with their luggage, though, after cabbing to the departure point.

I contacted Gray Line but they do not provide shuttles from airport to Pier 66. They have downtown express and a Downtown Airporter Connector Service that stops at Edgewater Hotel and Marriott Waterfront Hotel. So I guess this would be the best way to go....

You might also call Shuttle Express... we are using them and the price was fairly decent... here is their info

Contact Us Contact information Reservations: (425) 981-7000 * WA Toll Free: (800) 487-7433 Headquarters: (425) 981-7070 * Fax (425) 981-7071 Office Hours: 8:00A - 5:00P, Monday - Friday Sales: sales@shuttleexpress.com

Archived