Princess Responds To Celebrity's Australia Decision

Andy

Hi Everyone !

I thought it was newsworthy, that Princess is apparantly not taking Celebrity's decision to deploy Mercury in Australia, laying down. Today, Carnival/Princess announced that they are moving Sun Princess to Australia for the 2007/2008 season. Sun will be replacing Pacfic Princess. As Sun Princess is a much larger ship, this will be (roughly) tripling their capacity in the region, from 660 passengers to 1950 passengers.

This is an interesting move by Princess, as they are being agressive in making sure they dont lose their loyal customers for this market. It also may be, that they are somewhat nervous about Celebrity's decision, or perhaps a combination of both of these reasons.

I also thought the timing of this announcement is interesting, as it comes 2 days before Celebrity's announcement.

I am suprised , I have a cruise booked on the Regal Princess for Aug 2007,it is my understanding that this is a re-positioning cruise for this ship for its "down under" season. LA to Sydney via NZ and other points south.

I am SO CURIOUS as to exactly what Celebrity will say on Thursday, I posted on this board weeks ago, that both Princess and HAL ships were fully sold out and had long waiting lists for their "downunder" cruises.

I just annoyed that Celebrity suits have been playing this "fishing game" with loyal passengers, instead of being "up front" with us.

Thanks Andy!:)

Hi Ed !

How are you ? I hope all is well.

Are you booked on any Cruises out of FL for 2007/2008 ? I hope we get a chance to see you again this winter.

Hi Ed !

Are you booked on any Cruises out of FL for 2007/2008 ? I hope we get a chance to see you again this winter.

Andy,

We are booked on a B2B on Century on March 10th and 15th 2007.

It would be nice to cruise with you again also.:) I guess you did not book Century for Thanksgiving 2006. We are still on the November 18th and 23rd sailing.

Andy,

We are booked on a B2B on Century on March 10th and 15th 2007.

It would be nice to cruise with you again also.:) I guess you did not book Century for Thanksgiving 2006. We are still on the November 18th and 23rd sailing.

Hi Ed !

Right now, we are still booked on Constellation on the 11/20 sailing. So we WILL be in the Caribbean the same week, but at this point, on different X ships.

There is very little available on your sailings. When final payment comes closer, I will keep an eye out for cancellations. If we can make the switch to Century, we will strongly consider it. I would much rather do the 9 night back to back. We will see.

The comment that Princess is upgrading the ship for down under doesn't make sense. I took the Diamond (over 2000 pp) earlier this year and they had Saphire there in 2005 and will use that again in 2007. Are they adding a second ship?

Apparently the Australian cruise market is really booming, so the switch between Sun Princess and Pacific Princess does not really surprise me too much, as at one point they (Princess) had announced that it would be Dawn Princess, a sis to Sun.

Pacific Princess will sell very well here on this side of the Pond.

Archived