Transfers in San Juan

dancer 2

Taxi cabs at San Juan Airport are very easy. There is a booth set up by the city. They give you a voucher to your destination with a set price. I believe it was about $25 for us in February.

Time to the port depending upon traffic, 20-25 minutes.

Not sure how much the transfers are, but they might be worth it. A couple of years ago we sailed fron San Juan. We had no trouble getting a taxi from the airport to the cruise pier, the fair is regulated and you get a ticket with the price on it. Getting back was the problem, their was a taxi strike and we had to get a hotel employee to drive us to the airport. I heard that their was another taxi strike recently but it was resolved quickly. The other problem I encountered was drivers trying to "make-up" prices by charging for "extra baggage". But I was able to negotiate the correct fare b/c I knew how much it should cost from one zone to another and how much per bag.

If you decide to go the taxi route, be sure that you get the fare information from zone to zone (good place to look is on the san juan ports of call boards) and that you negotiate your fare with the driver first.

We sailed the Golden out of San Juan in April. Taking a Taxi is the way to go. On the trip from the airport to the pier we used Princess transfers. The cost was $15.00 per person. There were 4 of us, so the cost was $60.00 total. We had to wait in line at the airport for enough people to fill a bus. This took about 45 minutes. If we would have taken a Taxi we would have been at the ship much earlier. On the return from the ship to the airport we took a Taxi. When we left the ship there was a stand that you went to. They asked how many people and how much luggage. Someone then took you to a waiting Taxi. Cost for the 4 of us was $21.00, we gave an additional $5.00 tip for a total of $26.00. We were at the airport in no time. I will take the Taxi both ways next time.

Dennis

Thanks for that Travelw. That's excellent information. We'll certainly bear that in mind next Feb. We just about always take a taxi from ship to airport. Can't stand waiting for those buses to get a full load. :)

Used the Princess transfer in San Juan last week. It was excellent. They take your tagged luggage straight from the terminal and board you on to a regular coach bus. The luggage showed up in our cabin, without having to lug it into the cab and into the line at the pier. We will use it all the time now.

we took a taxi got a ticket for 20.00,i gave him 30,and we were on the boat very quickly lol:)))),worked out great,same with coming back,we were on our way while the others waited outside in the sun for the bus to fill:))))its much better with taxi,and faster lol:)))):p

Archived