North Atlantic Weather Question?

ebrunoski

Hello,

I'm thinking of planning my first transatlantic crossing, most likely on the

QM2. I was curious about what time of year is best, weather-wise, on the North Atlantic. I assume summer, but any months better than others? And by good weather I mean the warmest weather, least windy and calmest seas. I know how many liner-buffs love a good storm, but for MY first time though, I'm hoping for calm, warm weather, if possible. Also, does it ever get warm enough for sunbathing, or is that something best left for a Caribbean voyage? (Not that I'm expecting tropical temperatures, or even want them, just curious).

Thank you in advance for any information!

Sincerely,

Eric

I've traveled in the spring and fall only and have always had the chance of rough seas and have had some rough seas. I have read on these posts that you take a chance with roughness in the spring and fall (April and October). That makes me think summer is best or early or late winter. January has always been great for us and we did get 60 degree days this past January, or so we were told. We didn't venture outside. This past April 23 crossing we had one beautiful warm day out of 6 days. But, for warmer weather as a rule, probably the summer is the best time for calmness and warmth in the North Atlantic. I'm sure others will know more about sailing during the summer.

My experiences of the North Atlantic are that you can get rough seas and high winds, dull gray days with calm seas, flat calms and fog, clear clean days with bright sunshine, storms with black skies... anytime of the year (and sometimes, all on one day!).

You can expect more rough weather in winter rather than summer, however there may be 6 days in January that will be calmer than 6 days in August when there could be huge storms. That's the great thing about the sea, you never know.

But why are you going?

If it's to stay in a posh hotel for 6 days then there are many around the world to choose from.

If it's to get to America or Europe then fly and you'll escape the storms.

But if it's to experience crossing the great North Atlantic on the largest Liner in the world, to stay in a grand hotel that cuts through the storms travelling (literally) at a rate of knots, to feel the slow shift of the deck, to look out on miles of open sea and to realise just how huge that ocean is, to sit at a table eating dinner whilst all the time speeding to your destination then... take the rough with the smooth, you can get things that kill sea sickness, but experience the crossing, you'll never regret it.

Pepper.

Thank you all for the information. I know he North Atlantic is unpredictable. I am just trying to give my self the best chance of having some good weather mixed in with the bad, that's all. Thanks again.

Eric

There is nothing wrong with wanting and hoping for good weather. We travelled across in April 2004 and the Atlantic was like a millpond, the second time on one night we were literally thrown around and i felt like I was going to fly out of my evening shoes- that was no fun..and its certainly no fun for those confined to their cabins by seasickness- regardless of the "romance" associated with a tempestuous sea and a fine ocean liner.

"But if it's to experience crossing the great North Atlantic on the largest Liner in the world, to stay in a grand hotel that cuts through the storms travelling (literally) at a rate of knots, to feel the slow shift of the deck, to look out on miles of open sea and to realise just how huge that ocean is, to sit at a table eating dinner whilst all the time speeding to your destination then... take the rough with the smooth, you can get things that kill sea sickness, but experience the crossing, you'll never regret it."

This is exactly what we have in mind....thanks!

There is nothing wrong with wanting and hoping for good weather. We travelled across in April 2004 and the Atlantic was like a millpond, the second time on one night we were literally thrown around and i felt like I was going to fly out of my evening shoes- that was no fun..and its certainly no fun for those confined to their cabins by seasickness- regardless of the "romance" associated with a tempestuous sea and a fine ocean liner.

If you're thinking of the QM2 Maiden crossing and then the tandem crossing then the storm was quite something!

It was my wife's first experience of the QE2!

I always wanted to go to the USA on QE2, ( I don't fly ) but was put off by the tales of rough seas. Eventually we plucked up the courage to go in 2003. We left Southampton on 19th June, and set out on the return journey on 22nd of July. The sea was completely calm in both directions, we've had much rougher seas in the Mediterranean. I think June/July is best, as by August, you may encounter storms associated with the hurricane season.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Go for it!!

Though I do expect the seas might be calmer during our July crossing, I'm curious about the average day and evening temperatures so we'll know whether we should pack sweaters/jackets. Anyone have any information on it?

Thanks.

Texwell,

Go to cruiseclues.com. On the left side of the screen select QM2. The next screen will allow you to select the tracking position of the ship. It does give you air/water temperature and wind speed for a limited number of days. At least you can see the pattern of weather prior to your sailing.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Sue

Archived