gct - prague to budapest

bz

Just returned yesterday -wonderful time. The River Rhapsody was lovely, great crew, good food. The Program Director Miklosh was absolutely wonderful. To anyone that has booked this trip, you'll have a wonderful time. Found that Euros were accepted in central Europe, also you could get prices in dollars & use them most places. Be glad to answer any questions.

bz,

Glad to hear you had a great river cruise. I am researching them for next year. What company was River Rapsody?(i assume that was the name of the boat) We still haven't decided on the time of year either. What was late April/ early May like? I had heard some of the European rivers were flooded several weeks back. Any evidence of this?

Sandra

bz,

We're planning on taking that trip next year. GCT doesn't have the 2007 itinereries up yet. Were you on the 20 day trip? What cabin did you have? We would like to have the sliding glass doors but it looks like the little balcony takes space out of the cabin, and they're small enough as it is. We're thinking of the 13 day Budapest - Bucharest with the Prague and Transylvania extensions, probably in July. I too have read about the flooding in southeastern Europe, and the ships unable to get under the bridges.

We just got back from a GCT Provence cruise and our boat was the first that was able to sail the complete route. On earlier trips, they only made a couple of ports and bussed the passengers to the other cities.

Any comments you can give us, like the tours or ports will be welcomed.

hi,

we are going on the prague-budapest cruise in august.

three days in prague,then three days post cruise in budapest with gct on the rhapsody.

just received our flights. we are leaving from miami.

miami to prague is on air france

budapest to miami is on air italia.

they are both partners with delta.

questions:

what was your air itinerary?

what hotels did you stay in?

did you opt for the 3 day post in budapest?

please describe the highlights of these cities

now the ship:

food???????????

entertainment???????????????

cabin??????????????///

fellow passengers????????????//

tours???????????????????/

optional tours?????????????//

thanks so much

anxiously awaiting our trip.

burtshell

burt and shelley

To Sandy: GCT is Grand Circle Tours. What was April/May like? Temps in the high 50s and 60s, a little rain, not much. Some river flooding east of us, in Romania. People on the Budapest to the Black Sea trip were bussed instead of cruising. We were 1 day late getting on the boat due to flooding, but GCT more than made it up to us.

to JOEK: we were on the 12-day trip, had cabin 104, at the water line. All cabins looked to be the same size, and you're right, the sliders take away from cabin size. I book balcony on ocean cruises, but I'm fine w/cheapest cabin on river cruises, doesn't make much difference to me. We esp. liked Budpest, docked at night w/all the castles, big buildings, memorials bathed in floodlights - unforgettable. No favorite ports, liked them all. Optionals, if offered, crescky kumlov (sp?) in the Czech Rep., near the Austrian border, was wonderful. We were a day late getting on the boat due to flooding east of us, so spent an extra night there courtesy of GCT and it was wonderful.

to Burtshell: We flew a code-share going over, UA plane, everything ok. Flew back Lufthansa, let's just say the (free) wine flowed freely.

Our Prague hotel was the Don Giovonni, right on the subway, which was easy to use, $1 each way. Quite nice, some view of the city.

Did not take post cruise in Budapest.

Ship was very much like the Viking cruise of southern France, quite nice. Food was good, less selection than an ocean cruise, but quite good.

Entertainment, again, less than an ocean cruise. I'd give GCT a thumbs up on this category. They had gypsy musicians come one night, did a great cuirse show one night, had chamber-type group w/singer in Vienna one night.

Cabins are small, but adequate, spotless.

Tours were excellent - again thumbs up to GCT compared to Viking. Guides spoke excellent English.

Optional tours: ONly took Vienna evening concert at Kursalon - great if you like classical (we do). Because of flooding, GCT overnighted us at Cresky Kumlov (sp?) in Czech Rep., which would normally be an option. DON't MISS IT. It was one of the highlights.

burtshell,

We will be doing the same trip as you in July, 2007, so we'll be watching for your observations. We are taking a GCT river September this year, Moscow to St. Petersburg, with extension to Kiev.

Our GCT cruise in France was great, absolutely no complaints. Three days in Paris before cruise. Small ship, 46 passengers, so we all got to know each other very well. Breakfast was buffet with different hot dishes daily, made to order. Lunch and dinner, no choice, but salad, soup, entree and dessert were excellent, bordering on gourmet, fine presentations. Wine served with dinner.

Staff was exceptional, from captain to ship's crew. Waiters warm and friendly, very efficient.

We basically walked & ate in Prague. Also attended a 1:00 p.m. concert at the Prague Castle. We're not that much into museums, altho several fellow passengers hired a private guide & had a great time going thru the Jewish section, etc. There's also some river cruises for dinner or jazz that looked great. Subway very easy to ride, watch the pickpockets. They removed a wallet from under one guy's suitcoat under his buttoned raincoat & he never knew it until he returned to the hotel. This happened on the subway, but we never felt threatened. Suggest you carry just 1 credit card each, as he did, therefore only had one to cancel. Be sure to bring phone #s w/you of credit card companies & keep them separate from your person.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

we have friends who are leaving tomorrow on the prague to budapest with a three day stay on each end...

so we hope to get plenty of info which we will share in a few weeks......

we keep looking into tour guides and websites to increase our knowledge pre-cruise..

the travel channel has been another info source....

it always amazes me how easily the names of places we will visit just slide off our tongues...it's when i look at a world map that i'm astounded at how far from home we will be!!!!!!!!!

til the next posting...

shelley

burtshell

Did you ride any of the trams in Budapest and Prague? We are thinking of using them to get to some locations and save our foot power for the sites. How expensive did you find the food? Marlyne

Marlyne,

It appears that you are staying at the Marriot in Prague. A tram station is right next to the hotel, and a news stand sells tickets accross the street. We took the tram to Strahov Monastery, then walked down to The Loreto, then on to the Castle. We came back on the subway, and exited right at the Renaissance hotel accross the street. We took tram 14 a short distance, then transfered to tram 22. Another day we took the same trams to the Church of St Nicholas in the Little Quarter. After some exploring, we walked accross the Charles Bridge and back to the hotel.

For a great restaurant, go north a block to Na Porcini, on the corner. Great food at a reasonable price.

In Budapest, we did not use the trams since our hotel was at the Chain Bridge. We did take the subway to Hero's Square and the Park.

If you are on Avalon or Amedeus, it will be a great cruise. Enjoy.

Dennis U

Archived