Showers and Thunderstorms!!

sunryz710

Hey All..

I am cruising the Western Caribbean next week. The forcast for every day is showers.... or thunderstorms!! :confused:

I know that in the caribbean thunderstorms will come and go.. but showers!! :(

Can anyone cheer me up? Tell me about an experience where you were cruising and it was calling for showers but you had sunshine!!

Any hope out there??

Bummed out in CT...

The forecast the day we were in Cozumel last year was for showers and thunderstorms. It was cloudy when we got off the ship, but we went to meet our group. It rained just a little on us when we were in line to get a taxi. When we got to the beach for our snorkel, the sun came out and it was beautiful! It was raining north of the pier when we got back to the ship (you could see where it was raining). But, it never moved down into the pier area. We did go past some storms when we were between Grand Cayman and Coz, but I think the captain went around the worst of them.

We cruised western caribbean in January. I kept checking weather forecasts before we left...and it was predicting showers every day...as it turned out we had sunshine and 80-85 degrees everyday but the last when it was cool and cloudy, but no rain. So...don't be bummed...things could change. Enjoy your cruise!! :)

Living in Florida, you see showers and thunderstorms predicted EVERY DAY once the "rainy" season begins. Believe me, it's hit or miss. Sometimes we will hear the most wicked thunder in the distance and never lose the sun. It's what the tropics do! The odds are against there being enough bad weather to cause real problems during our trips (I leave Saturday!). Bonnie

I am also in the western caribean next week. I noticed that they used the terms "scattered" and "isolated"....that is just the guys at the weather agency covering thier butts. :cool:

Not much you can do about the ports, but while on the ship the captain tries to go around the storms if at all possible.

Besides how often are the weather forecasts right anyways??

I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

I cruised this same time, same area, last year. Honestly, can't remember even checking the forecast... I mean it's not like I couldn't change it anyways, so why worry...

However, it did rain , I mean poured, on us in St. Thomas for about a whole 10min. We just played in the rain, like kids, determined to have fun no matter what... look for the silver lining in every cloud! (Was really a refreshing cool down.)

Then we got to see the rainbows...

The funny thing about the islands, is that it maybe raining for a coulple of minutes in one spot under a cloud and sunny just 2feet away ...

Chances are that if you do see some rain, it may be from a foot or two away, or it will be shortlived... as you can see in this pic of St.Thomas that day, one side is where the rain cloud was moving thru , while the sunshine was following right behind

xnz3ly.jpg

So don't worry... make the best of every situation!!!

Living in Florida, I know that a 100% rain chance can mean a 30 minute shower with the rest of the day sunny.

But...I was still concerned because I am in the Western next week, too. Then I started looking at othe forecasts besides weather.com. For instance,if you go to www.concierge.com/tools/weather/detail/?url=cozumel they show sunny for next Wednesday (Miracle's day in Coz) as opposed to showers.

I now have hope :D

Sunriz and Betty,

We cruised Miracle to the Western Caribbean last week (April 30 - May 7) and had some of the same concerns. The forecast weather was for showers or thunderstorms at most ports on most days. The only time we saw a cloud on our cruise was driving into the rain forest in Belize to do the Lost World Canopy Tour. Even then it did not rain. The first rain we saw was in Tallahassee on our drive home.

Have a great cruise!!!

Gazelle2

Archived