NYC Embarkation time/details--for new cruiser

wingwoman63

First time cruiser here, for the Dawn on 5/13 out of NYC:

RE: Embarkation time: My TA told me to be sure to be there by 12:00 and we should board by 2:00. But the ticket time says arrive at 2:00 pm. When I called NCL, they said only if I had cruised before could I board early. My TA continues to insist I should be there by 12:00pm.

Our train reservations will already get us there by 11:30am and I am loathe to change them.

Questions:

~How strict are they about turning away new cruisers from early check in?

~Will we be told to wait somewhere else or come back at 2:00 if we arrive by 12:00?

~Are there chairs to wait? Will we surrender our luggage to a porter or have to keep it with us the whole time until we board?

Also:

~How do they screen for liquor: do they search your bodily person? ~Someone said they would open up your water bottles to check for liquor--is this true?

~How extensive is this search?

Thanks in advance--best wishes to all fellow travelers.

Welcome to cruising I hope you enjoy it.

If the Dawn is on time and their is no customs hold up 12:00 should be ok. They will let you on with everyone else. Suites and Latitutes members may get a few minutes head start but not that much. Most of the time if you get there at 12:00 you are on the ship by 12:45.

There are chairs to wait but mostly its lines to get checked in and then you get on.

Your checked luggage will be taken before you get inside the terminal and will be deilvered to your room later. You can carry on what you can carry on.

The checking is just like getting on a plane you pass through a metal detector and your carry on luggage is xrayed(as is your checked luggage). If you have an bottle of water that is unsealed they may ask you to drink from it. The checking is moderately extentsive.

Thanks smeyer. They might have me drink from the waterbottle?? Like--to make sure it isn't alcohol? Lol...a test to see if I can drink liquor straight? I wonder if I could at that? Makes me tempted to spike the thing and find out. :D

First time cruiser here, for the Dawn on 5/13 out of NYC:

RE: Embarkation time: My TA told me to be sure to be there by 12:00 and we should board by 2:00. But the ticket time says arrive at 2:00 pm. When I called NCL, they said only if I had cruised before could I board early. My TA continues to insist I should be there by 12:00pm.

Our train reservations will already get us there by 11:30am and I am loathe to change them.

Questions:

~How strict are they about turning away new cruisers from early check in?

~Will we be told to wait somewhere else or come back at 2:00 if we arrive by 12:00?

~Are there chairs to wait? Will we surrender our luggage to a porter or have to keep it with us the whole time until we board?

Also:

~How do they screen for liquor: do they search your bodily person? ~Someone said they would open up your water bottles to check for liquor--is this true?

~How extensive is this search?

Thanks in advance--best wishes to all fellow travelers.

hello wingwoman63 & welcome...my DH and myself just returned from the 4/26 cruise on the dawn...my DH insisted on smuggling liqueur onto the ship...i'm almost afraid to share this openly...but i guess it will be atleast a year before we cruise again...AND...if he should be checked and carted away next cruise...that means more room in the cabin for meeeeee...:D

my husband used plastic water & ice tea bottles...vodka in the water bottles resealed...amaretto & hennesy in the ice tea bottles...which he carried on with him...worked for him...you'd never know it form our ship tab!...and...we rarely drink at home...that's most likely how i wound up in dazzles dancing when i don't dance!...but if they get wind of it...it just may not work for you...be creative & have fun with it...do share your adventure when you return...nothing like a good smuggling story!...:rolleyes:

Hey, Donna, thanks for the welcome and that's a great story! But would they cart him away or just take his hooch??

I'm afraid I dont' have the guts to try any big time smuggling--and my dh is even more timid than I am so I guess we're paying NCL's prices.

But I might try to brazen it past them at one of the ports-I'll let you know. ;)

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

No problem get to the ship as early as you can. When you land at 11:30 my guess many will already be onboard.

The Dawn is returning from a cruie to nowhere charter. It will dock before 7 am. All passengers will be off the ship before 9 am. The ship does not need to be cleared so no delay in disembarkation, most passengers will only have carry on baggage so nothing to unload.

The best news the worlds largest passenger ship will be in port and you get to see it. Freedom of the Seas is spending the day at pier 92 just to show it off. You will not have to deal with the 5000 posible passengers since it is not leaving on a cruise.

Enjoy the Dawn

Archived