Capt Bryan - Ship's time v Port Time

redtop101

I'm confused. I just booked Capt Bryan's Stingray City snorkle trip on the Hannibal on Wednesday October 25th, 2006.

On his web site the tour was advertised as running from 9.30am- 12 noon. My confirmation e-mail says that the tour is 8.30 am - 11.00 am LOCAL time (same as US Central daytime savings)

Our ship's clocks go back one hour, the day before at Ocho Rios.

So, will the ships clock be in sync with local time at Grand Cayman? The ship arrives at 7.00 am and according to my confirmation e-mail we are supposed to assemble at Capt. Bryan's at 7.45 am, which is cutting it fine, if we do not get reasonably quick tendering.

We have a private excursion the end of August on the Caribbean Princess. I e-mailed the company and he responded that Princess is one of the few cruise lines that change their ship time to port time. If you want to be shore I would e-mail or call your company they are usually very helpful.

I found a web site that says that Eastern US and Cayman are in the same timezone. But then I click on Miami and Georgetown and Miami was an hour ahead. Then I remember that pesky Daylight Saving Time. [http://www.worldtimezone.com/utc/utc-0500.html]

We were on HAL and they left a note in our cabin about which nights they were going to cross a time zone. Told us to adjust accordingly. All the clocks on the ships were changed to local time.

I've since e-mailed Capt. Bryans. They've confirmed our tour time is 8.30 am to 11.00 (meet at 7.45 am) even though their web site said it was 9.30am to 12 noon. They confirm that the clocks on our ship Caribbean Princess will be the same as Port Time (US Central Daytime Savings)

So it will make for an interesting quick tender to make the 7.45 am meeting time, as the ship arrives at 7.00 am

They have assured me that this has never been a problem before, although they did say they thought the ship arrived at 6.00 am. Oh well - we'll find out soon enough I suppose!

We too, have booked this excursion and I was wondering the exact same thing. The web site says 9am and my confirmation says to meet at 7:45am. I too am wondering if we will be able to get off the Caribbean Princess (3100 guest) in just 45 minutes. I had heard that if you go to the Purser and let them know that you have a private excursion and that it is at 7:45am they will make sure that you are off the ship. We will be in GC on the 13th of Sept. I guess I will see if that is true.

• 2 weeks later...

So could you please post a report back here after your trip in September to let us know if the ships time is the same as port time. Also, let us know how you managed to get off the ship so quick to make the 7.45 am meet time and if you had any problems with that.

You will meet for your tour on Central Time zone. Last week our ship (Carnival Valor) changed all the clocks from Eastern to Central time the night beofre we arrived in Grand Cayman and we stayed that way until we sailed for Miami on Saturday. If you use Capt. Bryans Stingray city tour ask when you check in if they will have plenty of squid for the feeding of the stingrays. Last week they had maybe 2 cups and it lasted about 5 minutes for 25 people, really a waste of time because the food is what brings them to you. I think they were more interested in trying to sell photo's. Good Luck. I would never use this company again.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, Capt Bryans is one of the most environmentally conscious tours out there. the reason they dont offer that much food is that the overfeeding of stingrays (which is a growing problem with all the cruise goers demanding to feed them, and less-reputable companies complying) is actually *killing off the stingrays.* By all accounts, the sting ray city is not what it used to be, because of the overfeeding. the goal is to only bring enough food to attract the rays, but not to gorge them. we should all applaud their decision, not deride them for it, in my opinion. thank goodness some companies are looking out for the rays. :)

I've since e-mailed Capt. Bryans. They've confirmed our tour time is 8.30 am to 11.00 (meet at 7.45 am) even though their web site said it was 9.30am to 12 noon. They confirm that the clocks on our ship Caribbean Princess will be the same as Port Time (US Central Daytime Savings)

So it will make for an interesting quick tender to make the 7.45 am meeting time, as the ship arrives at 7.00 am

They have assured me that this has never been a problem before, although they did say they thought the ship arrived at 6.00 am. Oh well - we'll find out soon enough I suppose!

Glad you have this all straight! We are getting married in GC that day and when I talked with the minister, he said the same thing about time difference with some of the ships. Just make sure you get on one of the first tendors and you will be in good shape.

Normally GC is on Eastern Standard Time (EST) as they don't observe Daylight Savings Time (DST), so for right now they are the same time as Texas, Central Daylight Time (CDT). :D (except El Paso, but that's another story)

Glad you have this all straight! We are getting married in GC that day and when I talked with the minister, he said the same thing about time difference with some of the ships. Just make sure you get on one of the first tendors and you will be in good shape.

Congratulations seagarsmoker on your upcoming wedding in GC. It might be a good idea if you also got an early tender (to get you to the church on time!) :D

Archived