The Nursery - Port Days

SamanthasDad

:eek: My goodness, Kindlychap. I'm sure you said that because there have been SOOOO many inquires and answers about child care services on QM2.

Had a great chuckle over it though.

Best regards,

Sue

I asked my TA to enquire about this, They contacted Cunard in the UK. Who then had to contact Head Office in the States. Finally the Answer came back that we had to be on board when out Daughter was in the Creche.

At the same time I found an email address on www.cunard.com and emailed someone based in the states. they didn't know the answer, but they emailed the purser on the ship who came back saying that it WAS possible to do this.

Why am I getting different answers everywhere I ask? Why don't the UK reservations staff have a detailed source of information. Surely I can't be the first parent in this situation.

I plan to take copies of the positive correspondance just incase I get another story on the ship.

Why am I getting different answers everywhere I ask? Why don't the UK reservations staff have a detailed source of information.

Ah! Remember you're dealing with Cunard! (Not a helpful comment I know but the only answer to questions many have come up with).

Surely I can't be the first parent in this situation.

No, a lot of people have asked all sorts of questions of Cunard and got the same type of replies.

I plan to take copies of the positive correspondence just in case I get another story on the ship.

A good idea:) Good luck

I was onboard QE2 in January and QM2 in April. Both had schedules posted for information on "port" days even though we were transatlantic. I asked alot of questions and the people on both ships,who were in charge of taking care of children, said there is babysitting, if you want to call it that, while in port and parents can leave their kids on board and go sightseeing. On port days the kids get snacks and meals unlike non port days where you have to pick them up various times of the day and feed them yourselves. Don't deal with Valencia. Ask when you board. Usually they are open right after the boat drill and will answer all your questions.

I have also asked this question but of Cunard US - I got told you can get off the QM2 but only from 9-12 or 2-5 or 6-10

Am not sure when you are travelling but we (mum, dad 4yo and 3yo) are on the July 3rd trip and will let you know what transpires.

BTW where in Essex - I was born and lived there for most of my life so far - moved to Kemah TX 6 years ago

Kerry

I have also asked this question but of Cunard US - I got told you can get off the QM2 but only from 9-12 or 2-5 or 6-10
The response we got from the purser was

"Ideally we would like to meet the child first, with her being so young, but normally there is no problem with the child being left on port days. We would just need to know the hours that were required the evening before each port"

Which indicates to me that they are flexable on hours.

Am not sure when you are travelling but we (mum, dad 4yo and 3yo) are on the July 3rd trip and will let you know what transpires.
Thanks, but we are going on 15th June. So we can always give you feedback on the childcare.

BTW where in Essex - I was born and lived there for most of my life so far - moved to Kemah TX 6 years ago
We live in Chelmsford. My wife was born and breed here, and my daughter was born in Colchester.

We live in Chelmsford. My wife was born and breed here, and my daughter was born in Colchester.

Hey! I live in Colchseter...Well, it's sister city, anyway. Colchester, CT USA. But we don't have a miltary jail here. We do, however have a State Police barracks and they do have a small jail holding area!

The British Colchester's mayor came over here a while back to visit

Karie,

From the OTHER Colchester!

I was onboard QE2 in January and QM2 in April. Both had schedules posted for information on "port" days even though we were transatlantic. I asked alot of questions and the people on both ships,who were in charge of taking care of children, said there is babysitting, if you want to call it that, while in port and parents can leave their kids on board and go sightseeing. On port days the kids get snacks and meals unlike non port days where you have to pick them up various times of the day and feed them yourselves. Don't deal with Valencia. Ask when you board. Usually they are open right after the boat drill and will answer all your questions.

Please don't take this wrong ... but would it be safe to leave the ship with your children still onboard? What if one of them became ill? How would shipside staff get ahold of you? Do you have an international cell phone that would work while you were in port? Does the ship have the same so that they can call you? On the other hand, what if something happened to you and you got stuck in port (an injury, illness, etc.) and couldn't get back to the ship before sailing?

I don't know, but I sure would want at least one responsible adult onboard with the kids ... just in case.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are planning to do a cunard Excursion. So the ship should not leave without us.

At home we trust our daughter with a nursery while we travel into London. There are always chances of things happening to us while we are away. The staff on board have the same training as the staff at home and so if our daughter becomes sick then they will have procedures to deal with her.

We have Mobile phones that have roaming.

If the ship are not prepared to pay for a call to a UK mobile then I would give them one of our phones.

I don't see any difference to leaveing her on the ship and what we do at home by leaving her a a local nursery.

Archived