Explorer vs. the Navigator vs. the Mariner

I am helping my niece plan a family Christmas cruise. She can't decide which ship to go on. Her priorities are the ship's activities for the kids and family, the food and how pretty (cool) the ship is. Someone at RCI told her that their favorite is the Navigator because it is so pretty and has better food and more facilities for the kids. Do others agree? There will be 6 kids in age from 4 to 15, 6 parents in their early 40's, grandpa is 63, uncle is 58 and aunt is 73 (not me).

If experienced cruisers could give me some input on these ships, I would really appreciate it. The Itinerary is secondary to her at this point.

Thanks,

Ginny

We have been on the NOS twice and really enjoy it. I don't have kids, but I would think the Voyager class ships would all have a similar program for kids. All these ships have similar sports activities and only differ in some of the adult venues like Vintages on NOS and Mariner.

Scrap Explorer. It's got much smaller kids facilities.

Mariner and Navigator have the best Adventure Ocean facilities in the fleet.

They also have much better food in the Buffet area (Jade) than Explorer.

The balconies are better on Navigator/Mariner (glass instead of metal on Explorer)

basically, Navigator and Mariner are the exact same ship, the only things different being the artwork and names of some areas like the dining room, Explorer is one generation older. It's still a great ship, but for the kids, the new ones win.

Explorer has the Advt Beach kids pool with a slide at the back of the ship on Deck 12. This aimed at the kids up to 6 years old. Mariner & Navigator do NOT, so that is why the Advt Ocean kids & teen rooms are bigger. No kids pool, more room for other facilities and bigger game room on both Mariner & Navigator.

Also - Mariner and Navigator have "Jade" Asian buffet as part of the Windjammer set-up; Explorer does not.

So, what matters more, kids pool or food options?

Also, see basic Advt Ocean set-up doc:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Adventure_Ocean_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I've never sailed Explorer of the Seas or Navigator of the Seas, but can tell you what I've heard when comparing the two ships. I have sailed Mariner of the Seas twice and will sail again in less than 4 weeks! My teen is the main reason we keep returning!

1. Mariner is the newest (youngest) of the Voyager class ships. Voyager class ships made their debut in Nov '99. The first sailing for EOS was Oct 2000, AOS was Nov 2001, the Mariner in Nov 2003.

2. The Mariner and her next youngest sister, the Navigator, have upgrades that the other 3 Voyager class ships lack. Balconies have a clear plexiglass enclosure while the older sisters have a bottom 1/2 of metal and top 1/2 clear plexiglass. So the view from your balcony is much improved on the Mariner & Navigator.

3. Mariner & Navigator have a wine-tasting bar called "Vintages" on the Promenade and a Latin-themed bar called "Bolero's". I don't believe the older sister ships have these bars.

4. Mariner & Navigator have increased "teen" space in the way of lounges including a 'living room' and 'disco' especially for teens, and a HUGE arcade when compared to the older sister ships. Teens tend to favor these two ships more than the older sister ships as a result. For more cruise info for teens, written by teens: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/teen

According to a teen poll listed in that link above, the two most favorite ships are: 1. Mariner and 2. Navigator. I'm sure Freedom will soon be #1.

5. I know Mariner has a Ben & Jerry's ice cream parlor area on the Promenade. I know AOS does NOT have a Ben & Jerry's, not sure if the other older sister ships have this or not.

6. Mariner sails out of Port Canaveral and for us, that's a closer drive!

Those are some of the main differences that I've heard about when compared to my experiences aboard the Mariner.

I'm sure others will add or correct as needed.

Rose

Archived