Hyatt Grand Cypress Vs Hardrock Universal Hotel

jabraun

:) Hi All, I Need Advise On Selecting A Hotel For A Post Cruise Vacation In Orlando. We Want To Go To Universal Studios And Stay For 3 Nights. The Hardrock Hotel (universal Property) Is Very Pricey But Would Be Convienent With Having 4 Kids. Or The Hyatt Which Is Close By But Not On Universal Property Would Be Another Choice.

For 2 Rooms Per Night At The Hardrock Is 518.00 For 2 Rooms

And The Hyatt Was 310.00 For 2 Rooms. Is The Hardrock Worth It? Need Advise! Thanks. Julie

Hi Julie, we have stayed at both. We love the Grand Cypress. It was beautiful. We hated the Hard Rock. I paid a ton of money for the rooms on the 7th floor with the food included. The rooms were dirty. The carpet was all stained. Bed spreads dirty and dust every where. It looked like someone had thrown wine on the wall in the bathroom. I was so upset when we saw it. I wasted so much money it made me sick. The front desk was not very nice either. They did come up and clean the carpet but then we had that awful chemical smell for the day. If your dead set on staying there on the grounds I'd pick another hotel there. Plus the pool is not very deep. My teen's hardly swam in it because of that. Good luck with your choice.

lahbon,

Thanks for the response. The only reason I wanted to stay on the property was to have the fast tickets (shorter line waits)and not having to drive there, parking and being stuck for the whole day. Having 4 kids two 16 year olds, 9 year old and a 2 year old. I thought I could walk back to the resort when the baby was tired, and let the older kids and husband stay.

But it is so expensive! Would you comment on staying on property vs off property. The hyatt location close etc.... I really appreciate your comments! Any other hotels recommended or have stayed and enjoyed.

lahbon,

Thanks for the response. The only reason I wanted to stay on the property was to have the fast tickets (shorter line waits)and not having to drive there, parking and being stuck for the whole day. Having 4 kids two 16 year olds, 9 year old and a 2 year old. I thought I could walk back to the resort when the baby was tired, and let the older kids and husband stay.

But it is so expensive! Would you comment on staying on property vs off property. The hyatt location close etc.... I really appreciate your comments! Any other hotels recommended or have stayed and enjoyed.

Jabraun-We have stayed at the Hyatt and I agree with Lahoban,Hyatt is great.BEST POOL in Orlando....Other good choices with kids are 2 Marriotts:The Marriott World Center and the J.W.Marriott Grande Lakes are family oriented.The J.W. has a lazy river around their massive pool area!!AND THEE BEST burgers I ever had a hotel (pool bar)..That Marriott is attached to the new Ritz-Carlton ($$)..but you can walk right thru it ..beautiful,but with kids I'd prefer the J.W......On Universal,the Royal Pacific is decent with a nice pool and much cheaper than the HardRock or Portifinos..We have been to the Disney/Orlando area about 40 times,so I know alot about it..any questions,give a shout....also the Marriott time shares ( Cypress Harbour,Grande something..) sleep 8 and are 1100 sq.ft and we've stayed there 3 times-about $275 per night,but you only need a ONE 2-3 bdrm)...hope that helps....

Big Al

jabraun, we are like big Al we have gone to orlando many, many times. I have to say that staying on the property is well worth the money. The convienience is well worth it. That being said we usually go to Disney and there's so much more to do there. So staying on the property at disney has grat advantages. With universal there's only the two parks. Are you going any where else? That would make a difference or are you just staying at universal? I would agree with big Al that the tropical resort is the best for the price at universal and that would be my pick if I was just staying at those two parks. The pass to get ahead of everyone in the lines is like gold! The lines get sooo long. It's the only way to do the parks. My teen's really enjoyed the universal parks. I'll try to add more later I have to go to work.

When we get back from our Disney Magic Cruise on July 1st. We were only going to do Universal and Island of Adventure. No disney parks. I have a choice between a parent/ kids suite at Portifino Bay or 2 rooms at the Hardrock. I dont think the Royal Pacific resort had anything. I quess Ill go for Portifino's since lahoban had the bad experience at the Hardrock. As for the Hyatt, I booked our precruise rooms there for a night. I can't wait to see that hotel! I know the Univerisal Hotels are expensive but with having a little one I can come and go as I please without making her stay at the park all day. I will look into the Marriotts next time, The lazy river sounds heavenly. How about Portifino's any comments on this particular resort? Anyway, thanks alot for all the advise!!

Julie

Disney Magic Here we Come! :) June 24 2006

Julie that's what I would do. If you can't get into the tropical resort I would try Portifino's. Maybe the hard rock has cleaned up their act but I would not want to chance it. The Hard Rock seemed like alot of people partying way to hard and nobody cleaning up the mess. You will love the short walk to the parks. Or there is a boat that will take you. There are also lot's of resturant's close by you can walk to.

Let me know how your teens enjoyed the Disney ship. I would love to go on that ship.

Sorry for all the spelling mistake's earlier, I was late for work.

I don't know what your cruise date is, but during the summer FOTL (front of the line) for Universal is worth just about anything! Also, staying on property, the teenagers can come and go freely. If you stay offsite, they would (probably) be much more restricted with traveling to and from the parks. The same is true for you and the baby---it's a short walk from the parks to the Hard Rock.

We love the Royal Pacific, and enjoyed the Hard Rock pool. Unlike WDW, pool-hopping is encouraged at Universal!

We'll be at the RPR prior to our cruise this summer. I figure sharing a hotel room will get everybody ready for the close quarters of the cruise ship!!! :D

I highly recommend staying on site if you are visiting Universal. We have stayed at the Hard Rock and the Royal Pacific and enjoyed the RP more, plus is was less expensive. Friends really enjoyed the Portifino.

We have stayed at all three Lowes Universal hotels numerous times, 2 times in 05. Royal Pacific in August and Hard Rock in December. We have never had any problems with any hotels, dirty or noise in any visits. You are going at a very popular time. The best prices are usually with an AP, but would not pay for the amount of time you are there. Check the site prices do change. Portofino is nice, but also the longest distance to the parks walking, but can take the boats. Hard Rock is the closest, faster to walk then take the boats, brings you out right at Universal Studios. Royal Pacific brings you out at Islands of Adventure. The Front of the Line you get showing your room card more then pays for the hotel. Portofino rooms are the largest, so except for the extra bath 2 rooms would get you, I would go with the cheapest. Anything else just ask.

• 1 month later...

Went to HR for Spring Break. ANTS in the room, after complaining the Manager told ne the whole hotel was closing for a much needed upgrade this fall. That said we had a cabana 7 days in a row and that alone makes it worth it. No fighting for chairs etc. and the express line in the parks is worth every penney of staying on site. If cost is the issue go to the Hawaiian one its less but still get express pass.

If you are going July 1 stay on site (FOTL cannot be beat). Like at all theme parks, that is going to be one busy weekend. I have never stayed at the Hard Rock, but I have stayed several times at Portofino. Downside is that it is the furthest from the gates to the park itself and you would need to take the boats. Upside it is beautiful, has large rooms and because it is a little further it is easy to forget that you are in Orlando at a theme park. :)

Archived