Some beach info for May

jacank

My family was just in Bermuda on the 4/29 cruise. Someone asked about beaches there, and my daughter made the following comments:

About snorkeling in Bermuda: While I haven’t been in the water for a while, my understanding is that the reefs and marine life in Bermuda has really gone downhill, in comparison to reefs in the Bahamas, etc. The water will also be pretty chilly. A snorkeling excursion that took you to the outer reefs might really be worth it—you go 5-10 miles out and might see some wonderful stuff. But if you want to stay close in, there is good snorkeling in St. Georges and St. Davids that you can do by yourself. Try Tobacco Bay and Turtle Bay/Clearwater Beach. At Tobacco Bay, you can even rent gear. If you like group events and want a guide, then go for the excursion, but otherwise, rent a moped for a day in St. Georges and go exploring.

The reefs are very close on the south shore beaches but if there is any wind at all, it will be far too rough to snorkel them. I know there is a “man made” snorkel beach somewhere in Somerset but I’ve never been.

About beaches: I don’t think any of the major beaches are private anymore, even the ones attached to the hotels. For instance, I went out to the big exclusive golf club out in Tuckertown that had a guard on the road, and when I told him I just wanted to use the beach he waved me through. I know the Elbow Beach club doesn’t own their beach, and it’s a beauty. You may not be allowed to park in their lot, but enjoy the beach. Also, don’t miss Jobson’s Cove—it’s in all the postcards.

Archived