Weather question

pampaul

Since this is our first cruise we really don't know how things operate all too much.

What happens when it rains once you get to a port? You're still able to get off the ship and do whatever you want, right? And if it rains, say on the day we dock at GSC, will many people even get off? Will it pretty empty on the beach? I don't mind the rain at all especially if we're going to be at a beach, but just wondering what everyone else does.

And if it does rain and we bring those plastic rain ponchos (we have disney ones with a big ole mickey head on it) will we look totally ridiculous? What do you bring? Ponchos? Rain coats? Umbrellas?

If it rains, life goes on just like anywhere else. That means that some people will still go ashore but some people won't. Excursions will still proceed as scheduled. There's nothing ridiculous about being prepared with a poncho. As for the private island, chances are fewer people will go ashore since it's basically an outdoors activity. But for those whose primary interest is swimming or snorkeling, the rain might not dissuade them since they'll be wet anyway. And, of course, it depends on the severity of the rain and whether it's a thunderstorm.

Since this is our first cruise we really don't know how things operate all too much.

What happens when it rains once you get to a port? You're still able to get off the ship and do whatever you want, right? And if it rains, say on the day we dock at GSC, will many people even get off? Will it pretty empty on the beach? I don't mind the rain at all especially if we're going to be at a beach, but just wondering what everyone else does.

And if it does rain and we bring those plastic rain ponchos (we have disney ones with a big ole mickey head on it) will we look totally ridiculous? What do you bring? Ponchos? Rain coats? Umbrellas?

Don't worry...you will never look ridiculous. Especially when it rains....people use anything they can get their hands on "for cover";)

Last year, we hit heavy, heavy rains in Nova Scotia...people even used garbage bags to stay dry.

We bring ponchos and umbrella.

GSC - tenders will only go over if it is safe.

Your first cruise is your BEST!

Wishing you calm seas and plenty of sunshine:)

What if you book an excursion before you leave, it rains and you want to cancel. Anyone still get billed?

There's usually a deadline before which you can cancel (24 hours for most ship-sponsored excursions). Once the deadline has passed, you will be billed even if you don't go on the excursion.

I heard that sometimes the ship will kind of change its route if you expect to hit rain? Is that true?

This is my first cruise and rain will completely ruin the trip! I'm leaving this Saturday and I checked the weather and there is a 30% chance of rain on all the islands. Is that bad???:confused:

Do not worry about rain on the islands. . . IF it is raining in one spot, it usually isn't raining in another, and it quickly passes. Last cruise it was raining at the ship in St. Thomas, but just sprinkled a few drops on the ferry over to St. John.

If the ship cancels its excursion due to weather you won't be charged.

I have never heard of a ship not going to a port just because it was raining. If the waters are too rough to dock, that port may be bypassed, though.

30% chance of rain? I wouldn't worry, even a little bit!

Archived