Any Foster Parents or Pre-Adoptive Parents Sailing?

vesw01

We are thinking of taking our foster children on a cruise next year, but would require everyone to get passports and judge approval. Has anyone worked with their agency to go out of the country with their kids, prior to obtaining legal guardianship? I am going to check with the post office to see how to go about getting them a passport, but was just checking for some first hand experiences.

I was a foster parent, ( eventually adopted ), but all I needed was approval from the foster agency. Depends of course what state/ county you are in. However, this was for an out of state trip.

Good luck with everything, it's a challenging, but wonderful road :)

Hello ~

I just asked a question in the other forum about taking our little guy. He is almost 3 months and will be 9 months when we sail for Christmas. I am looking for others who have taken their foster children as well.

I am looking into getting him a passport...I am sure we need them too. I also need moms consent to travel out of state (our state) and whatever else we need.

I know some people frown on taking little kids BUT if they are behaved....I dont see a reason not too. I could not put him in repsite care while we lived it up on vacation. He is OUR son and part of our family.

We would never let him scream and carry on while other cruisers are trying to watch a show...etc. We know what to do if he is not settled. We are not new 'parents' or ignorant parents. Our two dd are 12 and 17 and getting a newborn has not stopped our lives, we just plan and take a little extra time to get ready. We will make sure he has what he needs as well as goodies/toys...etc. I dont see where taking him has to stop our lifestyles. (We go away every Christmas..Disney or Cruise).

He is a happy go lucky guy and he has been thru so much. Peoples dogs are treated better then some of these kids..its so sad. If you only knew his story :(

So--if anyone has any KIND replys Id love to hear them. Taking a tiny one on a cruise will be different, but we will surely get thru it and he will be one lucky little guy when he looks back on where he went and what we did while with us. He certainly didnt get love and nurturing from his mother....should I even call her that? Hopefully we have him a LONG time as his mom didnt even care to show for the court hearing. Of course this all hinges on us having him in our custody come December. BUT I need to plan for it now.

Thank You-

Stacy

You must have custody are have both parents to sign..I know because i just sent of for a passport for a girl i have custody off.As far as foster parents no idea what the cps worker can do for you but cannot get a passpert without custody are parents approval.;)

I am a foster parent to a 13 month old. She stayed with some wonderful folks while we were on a cruise.

Another family at our agency took all their kids, 2 biological, 4 foster, and had a great time. They were all between ages of 8-15. The social worker for the kids can get all the approvals, or should be able to.

Here in IL we don't need the parents permission to take them out of state, the worker can approve that for us. As for a taking them out of the country, we need the judge's approval. We are still waiting to hear back on getting them passports.

We did spring break with bio-children, foster children and children's friends. We did not require passports at that time but will in 07. In our state, Michigan, I had the judge's permission to take them out of the country. We only needed the worker's permission to leave the state. I have only teenagers but there were plenty of smaller children on our cruise. It is a great opportunity for foster children.

I had no problems at all taking now adopted children on a cruise. I live in Chicago and when I was just a foster parent all I needed was approval from the case worker. I think it depends on the casewrorker because I never needed a judge to approve us leaving the country. My adopted children have been on a cruise since 2002 and they love it! You are require to have their birth certificate on hand. You can get their birth certificate from their caseworker. Enjoy your cruise with your children.

I'm available for adoption you wonderful people:D

Hats off to your wonderful work and the capability to make these childrens life better.:)

I work in the social service field in a homeless shelter for families and have quite a few stories of my own regarding the neglect these children incurr.

BRAVO TO YOU ALL

Archived