Which would you choose NCL Jewel or MSC Lirica?

nlb1050

We have a choice 7 N on NCL Jewel (Eastern)or 11N on MSC Lirica (Southern).

Have never been on either line, only on Princess. Both go to ports we've never been to. Price wise about equal when figure cost per day.

Can anyone help?

e

we are booked on the jewel. it is a new ship, and it sounds great! maybe you could type in jewel review in the search and then the lirica to compare what past cruisers have to say. then, look at the ports in the europe threads. good luck!

We sailed a 11 night southern caribbean cruise with MSC a few years ago (not the Lirica). We had a great time, very good service, (this IMHO is where MSC excells) comfortable clean accomodations and ship. Entertainment and food however are not what you usually see on the typical mass market cruise line. Since MSC markets it's cruises to Europeans as well as the US, the passenger mix is diverse. Language becomes a problem with entertainment so it is usually musical or magic, or dance so translation will not be necessary. Food is more european and that surprises some Americans so be aware. When announcements must be made they are done in about 5 major languages. We didn't feel like we were on a budget cruiseline so I have no idea why prices are lower.

The Jewel is a new ship so prices may be somewhat elevated due to that.

NCL has freestyle dining which means no early/late seatings for dinner. You can choose when and where you eat. They also have some restuarants that have a cover charge. A $10 per person per day gratuity is added to your account. The dress code is resort casual with optional formal nights.

Oddly enough I was at a birthday party a week ago and the grandfather of the kid just got off the Lirica. He is well traveled and has sailed on several lines. He had nothing, but praise for the Lirica. I mean he was effusive and that was an understatement. The food was his focus. It was enough to make me want to look into that line.

He did say the other travelers were an international mix, but I look for that in my travels so that would be a plus to me.

Just food for thought. If you are someone who eats out at American type places with people of similar backgrounds and interests then maybe a line that caters to that sort of person would be a good idea. If you look to branch out on your travels then maybe the Lirica would be a good bet.

Archived