Are All The AB Penthouses on the Dawn the Same?

kowkitty

Hi,

You have all been so helpful with all the questions and I thank you. Hope you don't mind another.

Are all the AB Penthouses the same?

Anyone prefer one over the other? if so why?

Thanks for any other info. We are not normally picky but seeing we are spending the extra cash we want to be sure we get what we want.

Jackie

Hi...!!!:)

I have been on the Dawn twice, both times in an AB, the SAME AB. And when we go on the Dawn next year, it will be the SAME one too....:)

I think it is all a matter of preference..... Some people don't care which AB they are in, as long as it is an AB. Some people may like one specific one over the other.

They are ALL THE SAME. The only thing that varies is which side of the ship and the artwork. Other then that, EVERTHING IS THE SAME.

We like #11020. It is in a GREAT location, right off the elevator and I hope I don't sound nuts saying this.....but, I like the "name" of the cabin, "Jade". Jade is my 2nd FAVORITE gemstone (first is Amethyst), so, for us, it works really well. I also have become partial to the artwork in that room. It is quite ecclectic.

When we entered the cabin this past February, it felt VERY comfortable, like going home. I am looking forward to next April.

I will miss the Dawn VERY MUCH when it transfers next Fall down to Florida. Cruising on the Dawn is something we have come to enjoy very much.

She is a BEAUTIFULL SHIP....!!! With a FANTASTIC CREW...!!!!icon14.gif

She will be missed by MANY, MANY people.....icon9.gif

YOU WILL LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOUR AB....!!!! :D

You just wait and see..........

P.S. Which April cruise are you on..???

Hi,

We are also planning on April!! Maybe the 23rd sailing Exotic Southern Caribbean. Don't worry we won't take the "Jade Suite" I did not know the suites had names!!

How far in advance do you usually book? Would The first week or two be too early/late to book a penthouse for April?

Or travel plans are completely open so I guess if there are no penthouses we will just take whatever the next available sailing is.

We are so excited about the penthouse that no other room will do now!!

Thanks

Jackie

I don't want to scare you.... But, you need to book your AB AS SOON AS POSSIBLE....!!!icon4.gif

AB's sell out FAST....!!!:eek:

Because there are just 10 of them, they go very, very FAST....!!!!

The AB's on my cruise are LONG GONE....!!!:o

They were ALL GONE about TWO MONTH'S AGO....!!!

And this is for a cruise that is ten and a half months away... So, ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE they were gone.....:eek:

The SAME thing happened on my February 2006 cruise.... I think one did open up though, just before final payment..... (just like it did on my April 2005 cruise, which is how I got my first AB, but, do you want to wait..??).

On my last cruise and next years cruise, I have booked EXACTLY what I want, a year or more in advance..... Why wait and take the chance....:confused:

Suesan Jean is right I am on the same cruise as her and the Abs have been gone for a very long time. I am praying for an upsell but I have very little hope. Last year we booked a mini suite and after final payment an Ab became available We got it and we are now spoiled.I think they are all the same We were in the Amber suite. I will take anyone. I am still very excited to be going on the Dawn This is our third time and I love this ship.

We stayed in 11050 - I think it was Topaz. Great suite. We were lucky enough to get on upsell two years ago but ever since then we book it right away. In November we are staying in 11550 - Changing sides of the ship!!

You will absolutely love the AB:)

I see by your post, that you will be among the MANY, MANY, MANY people who will MISS THE DAWN VERY MUCH..........:o :(

I wonder why she is being transferred.......:confused:

Why, because they are bringing the Gem a brand new version of the Dawn to NYC. I was cheaper then putting new shows on the Dawn:D

Talking with the HD on the Dawn this winter they recognized they need to refreash the options fom NYC. The Dawn has the highest repeat cruiser rate of any ship in the fleet, Some have been onboard 15+ times. Many have only cruised on the Dawn.

With other lines moving into a market NCL once again pioneered they have to offer a new option or many will be more likely to cruise on someone elses new ship. Look at it this way like the Jewel and Pearl much is is the same as the Dawn but with enough changes for those that want to cruise something new and different.

Why, because they are bringing the Gem a brand new version of the Dawn to NYC. I was cheaper then putting new shows on the Dawn:D

Talking with the HD on the Dawn this winter they recognized they need to refreash the options fom NYC. The Dawn has the highest repeat cruiser rate of any ship in the fleet, Some have been onboard 15+ times. Many have only cruised on the Dawn.

With other lines moving into a market NCL once again pioneered they have to offer a new option or many will be more likely to cruise on someone elses new ship. Look at it this way like the Jewel and Pearl much is is the same as the Dawn but with enough changes for those that want to cruise something new and different.

Shoreguy,

Just got back from our 5th cruise on the Dawn and we'll be going again in Sept 2006. Do you know when they are repositioning the Dawn? I would like to get one last trip on her before she leaves and then move on to another ship. You're right about the shows. Saw Bollywood for the 5th time. New cast and a few new wrinkles. The new CD, Matt Baker is going to be a good one. He reminds me alot of Colin Kerr. People are in for a treat:)

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Shoreguy,

Just got back from our 5th cruise on the Dawn and we'll be going again in Sept 2006. Do you know when they are repositioning the Dawn? I would like to get one last trip on her before she leaves and then move on to another ship. You're right about the shows. Saw Bollywood for the 5th time. New cast and a few new wrinkles. The new CD, Matt Baker is going to be a good one. He reminds me alot of Colin Kerr. People are in for a treat:)

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Current plans call for Oct/ 2007

Norwegian Gem will make its debut in New York in October 2007 when the new 93,000gt ship replaces Norwegian Dawn, which will redeploy to Miami for the winter.

‘We want to put a new ship in New York to freshen the fleet. The only negative comment we get on Dawn is that people have been on so many times,’ said NCL Corp. president and ceo Colin Veitch, in making the announcement at the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Convention in Miami.

While the Dawn is repositioning to Miami for the winter 2007-2008 season, it could reposition back to New York for the summer 2008 season.

Where else could it go?

1) It could stay in Miami. But that would be against recent and long tradition.

Only the Norway has stayed in Miami for both cruising seasons for a very long time, when it had established itself as the largest cruise ship. I don't think the Dawn is capable of competiting against the larger RCCL Freedom and Voyager class ships during the summer season, when the demand from Miami is down.

2) It could reposition to Alaska. But the Sun, Star, and Pearl are more likely candidates. If it were to go to Alaska, where would the Pearl go?

3) It could reposition to Barcelona. If it were to go to Barcelona, where would the Jewel go?

4) It could reposition to Dover. It wouldn't be able to sail under the Kiel Canal bridges like the Dream. Where would the Dream go?

5) Back to New York City. I consider this the most likely scenario. That would free the Spirit to switch to either Philadelphia and Boston, or both (2-3 months at either port) during the same summer season.

For the winter 2008-2009 season, it could return to Miami for the season while the smaller Spirit repositions back to New York.

While the Dawn is repositioning to Miami for the winter 2007-2008 season, it could reposition back to New york for the summer 2008 season.

Where else could it go?

Only the Norway has stayed in Miami for both cruising seasons for a very long time, when it had established itself as the largest cruise ship. I don't think the Dawn is capable of competiting against the larger RCCL Freedom and Voyager class ships during the summer season, when the demand from Miami is down.

2) It could reposition to Alaska. But the Sun, Star, and Pearl are more likely candidates. If it were to go to Alaska, where would the Pearl go?

3) It could reposition to Barcelona. If it were to go to Barcelona, where would the Jewel go?

4) It could reposition to Dover. It wouldn't be able to sail under the Kiel Canal bridges like the Dream. Where would the Dream go?

5) Back to New York City. I consider this the most likely scenario. That would free the Spirit to switch to either Philadelphia and Boston, or both (2-3 months at either port) during the same summer season........

For the winter 2008-2009 season, it could return to Miami......

Or the simple answer the Sun could stay in HI doing 10/11 day cruises and The Dawn goes to Alaska.

One thing NCL has going for it that RCCL does not is every ship can get through the Panama Canal giving them lots of options.

I guess it all depends on how well the Hawaiian cruises sell out during the summer, or how well Bermuda-Bahamas cruise sell out during the summer.

I would think that Hawaiian cruises sell better during the winter, and the New York cruises sell better during the summer. That's the reasoning behind my repositioning of the Sun to Alaska and Vancouver, and the Dawn back to New York.

I'm also not so sure that NCL could sell out a larger ship than the Sun sailing from Vancouver for the Alaska cruises, with two of their largest ships already sailing from Seattle.

But anything could happen.....

Has the Jewel's winter 2007-2008 cruises been posted yet? I still don't believe NCL plans to sail three large ships from Miami that season, when the previous year NCL sailed two large ships, the Jewel and Pearl. Adding a third large ship from Miami before adding a larger ship to another winter season homeport, either Charleston, Houston or New Orleans, is a little too much for me.

I would think NCL would want to add more capacity elsewhere first.

• 1 month later...
While the Dawn is repositioning to Miami for the winter 2007-2008 season, it could reposition back to New York for the summer 2008 season.

Where else could it go?

5) Back to New York City. I consider this the most likely scenario. That would free the Spirit to switch to either Philadelphia and Boston, or both (2-3 months at either port) during the same summer season.

For the winter 2008-2009 season, it could return to Miami for the season while the smaller Spirit repositions back to New York.

The new terminal in MD DESPERATELY needs another ship. Check out the prices and how far one has to book a cruise in advance out of Baltimore. It's ridiculous. The only ship we have now is RCI's Grandeur which is an okay ship but if they brought M/S Dawn to Baltimore people would be flocking to her like termites on a fresh furring strip driven into the ground.

I was quoted over $3500 for a balcony cabin, 9 day New England cruise out of Baltimore in October 2007 It was the ONLY balcony left that far in advance. The ship sells out fast and the prices are outrageous. NCL seriously needs to consider bringing this ship (or even M/S Spirit) to Baltimore, dammit! One of the things on my to do list that seems to stretch to infinite proportions is write Gov. Bob Ehrlich and have him turn on some heat. Speaking of heat, our winters are no worse than NYC and often when NYC gets socked by a nor'easter we only get a few inches (sometimes just a breeze!) and the bay has no real waves to speak of. So outside of possible political roadblocks this seems to make sense.

I'd even go as far as to suggest they bring a CCL ship or two here. :eek:

Archived