favorite ship for Alaska

realent

I am planning a group trip for June of 2007 and wondered what everyone's favorite Celebrity ship was and why? The group will probably be in the *young* 40-50 range.....

Please tell me about suites also!

Thanks,

Nancy

we have sailed Infinity roundtrip from Vancouver and Mercury roundtrip from Seattle. Both are wonderful ships. If you want to spend a lot of time sightseeing from the ship itself, take the Vancouver roundtrip, as it's Inside Passage both ways -- Seattle roundtrip is open ocean west of Vancouver Island on the way up, Inside Passage on the way back, although that's only one sea day of difference. If you don't care about that so much, just take a close look at the port differences --- the one port I would hate to miss is Skagway, from which you can drive or take a train into the Yukon, an amazing sight. I'm sure you'll have a splendid trip whichever you choose! -- TR

Obviously Infinity is bigger. But it doesn't really mean more facilities. I find Mercury plenty big. Here are the smaller differences:

--Thalassotherapy pool: Infinity, it's really just an adults-only warm indoor pool with a few jets around the edges, in an expanded spa area, but it's free to use. (There are also extra hot tubs in the same area.) Mercury, it's an incredible mega-Jacuzzi in a cozier spa area, and costs $ (unless you're in a suite, or top-level Captain's Club member).

--Specialty restaurant (very fancy food for extra cost). Infinity has one. Mercury doesn't.

--Spa Cafe': Infinity has one, Mercury doesn't.

--Decks. Mercury has a teak promenade deck. All the decking on Infinity is that rubbery/vinyl stuff. Infinity has an expanded walking area on the very top deck. Mercury has more public aft spaces for water viewing ... maybe not relevant if you are sailing in a balcony cabin, but we usually don't, so I very much enjoy the aft public spaces on decks 7, 8, 9, 10.

I'm sure others will add some differences I've missed -- I didn't write a review for my August 2003 Infinity crew, so the memory starts to dim! We enjoyed both ships, but Mercury is my absolute favorite -- however, re: itinerary, going up the Inside Passage on Infinity, through the very narrow section known as Grenville Channel, is one of my enduring memories of cruising to Alaska ... TR

We have so many wonderful memories of Alaska on Infinity last June:) the wake from the deck 10 aft bar listening to the guitar player. Those adorable little dolphins dancing in the water, whales, eagles.

TAKE ME BACK!! We met some lovely women from the SKI club (spending kids inheritance) they had the right idea:cool: Now as soon as DH hits 62 I'm getting at least one reverse-mortgage!!:D

Beautiful ship, lovely staff, great friends and Alaska......I think I'm going to cry:o

I am planning a group trip for June of 2007 and wondered what everyone's favorite Celebrity ship was and why? The group will probably be in the *young* 40-50 range.....

Please tell me about suites also!

Thanks,

Nancy

We have booked an aft cabin on Infinityfor 17th June 2007. It will be our first Alaska trip, 16th cruise overall, 6th on Celebrity. While not as young as your group, we are 54 and 61, we have found that Celebrity suits us very well. If you do book this cruise, I have posted a Roll Call invitation but have had no other takers yet.

I am thrilled to read of comments about the Inside Passage viewing. We love sightseeing from the deck. It was the highlight of our cruise from New Zealand to Australia on Princess last year.

Cinnamon

I love to sightsee from the deck as well -- but unless it's a fluke warm, sunny day, I'd advise staking out a front-row seat in the forward observation lounge (they haven't Cirque'd that one yet on Infinity, right?) for Inside Passage northbound. That's where we sat to watch the ship squeeze itself through Grenville Channel. Here's a lovely picture I found on a Google search (although it was cloudy & rainy when we went through):

http://www.susanmilne.com/infinity/channel.jpg

Now, when you're heading toward Hubbard Glacier, THAT'S when you have to be up on deck, in my opinion! Have done that both times ... but bring a coat, gloves, snug hat ... it may be the only time you'll need it during the whole cruise, but on glacier day, unless you decide to stay indoors, the gear will be worth its weight in gold -- TR

Archived