Any diving experience with Blue Ocean Safari?

Middleager

Hi.

We're arriving Costa Maya on Carnival Miracle in Sept. I'd like to go diving (while my wife can go snorkeling or just enjoy beach). The dive ops Dreamtime seems better known and is at Mahuhual. Maya Palms sounds like a nice dive resort 30min. south. Just found a third possible choice, Blue Ocean Safari http://blueoceansafari.com/ Their web site seems fairly new but also good.

Has anyone had experience with this shop? They also show snorkeling trips and kayaking available.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Your right they do look good. Have you found anything out on them yet? Maybe you should try one of the diving boards. I like scubaboard. Let me know what you find out please. We are going in Nov. and I am thinking of diving in Costa Maya as well.

I have been diving with them a couple of times. They are a new operation just getting set up and running. Their services were excellent, the boat was comfortable, equipment was new and the DM's really knew their stuff! I was very impressed.

Muddiver...thanks for the reply. Since you have been a couple of times what was your favorite dive trip you took with them? What did you get to see? Were you worried at all about getting back to the ship on time? And, ok just one more....Would you recommend them for a couple of new divers? :D

Thank you

Muddiver, thanks for your update.

This does seem to be a very new shop. I've been communicating with the owner a few times. Diving in Costa Maya is relatively new and pristine. He said if I trust him, he'll take me to the sites he feel are good. I told him yes I'll trust him on that.

They also have snorkeling trip for $20, so I also signed up my wife for that. (He liked my suggestion to provide noodles for snorkelers. My wife is a non-swimmer, and having noodles made her feel much more comfortable in water.)

By the time we go (end of Aug.), they will have kayaks for divers to use for free. That is another plus because I like kayaking. With that, we won't need to go to Maya Palms.

I will be interested in hearing of your diving with this dive shop when you get back... Please be sure to post a trip report.... I tried calling them to no avail.. Got voicemail and on the 866 number, got a machine of what sounded like a private residence.... Tried to email them and the email bounced back to me as unsendable....I'm trying to find a dive shop for December but not sure if that will happen.... :(

I will be interested in hearing of your diving with this dive shop when you get back... Please be sure to post a trip report.... I tried calling them to no avail.. Got voicemail and on the 866 number, got a machine of what sounded like a private residence.... Tried to email them and the email bounced back to me as unsendable....I'm trying to find a dive shop for December but not sure if that will happen.... :(

I attempted to email them to and got the same unsendable response. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Try sending to Phillip Hetherington (the owner)

phillip@blueoceansafari.com

When I tried the email addr on the web sites info@.. It also bounced back. But Phillip had been responding. Sometimes it took a few days. It seems like he has a new shop, and is gearing up, but haven't got the web site quite ready yet. It'll be a few weeks before we go. If something happens with his shop, then at least Maya Palms is a back up. I also did email to Maya Palms but didn't get anything back. But at least it's good to have seen several people with good diving experience there.

• 1 month later...

Middleager,

I have been communicating with Phil, the owner, many times.. He called me and gave me the run down on his shop, diving and his dive philosophy... And Julie, his right hand gal, is awesome with communication too..... they so want to get this up/going.... So they are looking for divers to come to Costa Maya.... They are still getting everything up & running but it sounds good... New gear, exp. divemasters and such.... I'm looking forward to diving with them in December.......So waiting for your review when you get back home too..... Have fun......:p

cruzegirl

Thanks for the update. Everything so far sounds good with them, but it's always good to hear experience from others. So yes I'm looking forward to diving with him and definitely will post a review.

I'm also looking forward to the diving when Miracle visits Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and also pre-cruise in Crystal River and Rainbow River (north of Tampa). Am I making you jeolous? :D

• 3 weeks later...
Middleager,

Your making me a "little" jealous.... But now it's my turn.... I'm going in December on the Valor and we're going to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman....:D :D Just whistling away.....lol

As you can see, we're also from Santa Clarita! Going on Grand Princess on Jan 6, 2007 and would be interested in hearing from your diving experiences and suggestions for good operators for my DH. I don't dive, but I'll go snorkeling along with him when possible.

Thanks,

Hey Julie,

Cool..... Another Santa Claritan on board.... lol..... Would love to give insight to you on diving that itinerary but haven't done it myself yet.. I can give more info. when I get back in December.... I know they are all supposed to be great diving ports for us who dive.... I've heard great things from a friend who went diving in Roatan too... Many of the dive ops allow others to come along for snorkeling as long as the boat isn't turning away divers... That's their main priority.... But some offer seperate snorkeling excursions... Check out Shoretrips.com too......

So, what part of Santa Clarita are you from? I'm the Canyon Country side, hoping to be part of the Valencia side soon.....lol....:D Have a great labor day.... I saw it was 105 at 5pm here..... wow.....

Hi Debbie! I was looking at your pictures to see if I recognized you....you know how we all see someone and can't figure out where we know them from....thought maybe I'd recognize you from the nail salon or school or something :) But, alas, no. We're right over the hill from you in Saugus. Hope you have an awesome time in December. My DH went diving with Anthony's Key in Roatan and my DS and I did their Dolphin encounter. We thought they were a very well run operation and would recommend them. We took the ship's excursions but you can certainly go on your own. Have a great time and let us know.

I think it was even hotter yesterday :( I'm ready for this heat wave to be over) Thanks for the tips!

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

Ah Julie,

I think your heat wave is officially over.... lol.... But the winds today, wow..... Too much..... Hope your not close to the fire... Today worries me for those guys and the folks in the path of that fire....

I'm hoping to become a Saugus person too.... Looking at a place off Bouguet Canyon....

I have heard good things about Anthony's too.... I'm unsure if I'm going to dive in Roatan actually.... One of the girls from work, her and her husband are to go on this trip.... But he's since had a medical issue come up that prevents him from diving... So she & I will dive other ports and the 2 of them will do a couple thing on that port.... So my other friends that are coming, that don't dive, Roatan may be the port we all do something together... still up in the air....

Have a great weekend... And don't blow away.....lol:rolleyes:

Funny thing that you can´t find the blue ocean safari divingcenter at PADI´s website, seems like they aren´t official?! Did nobody actually check this before diving??? I would not feel comfortable diving with people that advertise themselves to be licensed, still they are not mentioned anywhere on PADI´s site....

Seems reliable, NOT! Don´t you people know that you can´t trust everything you read on the internet? I feel like writing PADI a little email.... :mad:

I have known Phil for 15 years. He is legitamit PADI Dive Instructor and Dive Master. Julie and Phil have been working hard getting their operation going. Mexico is not the easiest place to start a business. As with any upstart business, bumps in the road will be encountered. If Phil and Julies shop has not shown up on PADI's website just e-mail Phil and ask why, Im sure there is no conspiracy. HE IS LEGIT!

I am planning to snorkel in Costa Maya, first week of November. I like what I have read about Blue Ocean Safari. But I have not seen any actual reviews of a snorkeling trip, I am curious to see a photo of the boat(s) they use, length of tour. Any first hand experience would be great. Also interested in knowing if it might be possible to take multiple tours in one day possibly to different snorkeling locations.

Finally writing up my belated review of Costa Maya diving.

Our Carnival Miracle ship was supposed to be at Costa Maya on Fri. Sept. 1/06, 7am-4pm local time (8am-5pm ship time). But due to hurricane Ernesto, it changed to Thr. Aug. 31, 6am -2pm local time. I didn’t like the time becoming so early in the morning, and also shortening the duration by one hour. But at least we were still going to Costa Maya.

I had searched for dive ops, and originally found Dream Time. But just then Dream Time became Carnival’s contractor and instead of a two-tank dive for $70- $75 if booked directly with them, it became double the price through Carnival:( . Another choice that had good review was Maya Palms for $75, but it was ½ hr and $20 by taxi each way. I then found a newly started up shop Blue Ocean Safari. The web site looked nice but was still being developed when I found them. It took a few emails with Phil Hetherington, I decided to give them a try. As the trip got closer, I emailed/phoned both Phil and Julie. Julie is the owner and was traveling between CM and Texas, whereas Phil was not as easy to reach. Costa Maya doesn’t have the stable telecom infrastructure.

Costa Maya is a new port where they can handle 3 ships docking at an L shaped pier. The diving and most of other activities are actually at the small fishing village of Mahahual, 10min taxi ride from port . Because of the ship’s change of itinerary, I had to email on the ship (expensive) about the change. My wife and in-laws and friends (6 of them) were going to the Chacchoben ruins tour in the morning, and I had booked them to come to Blue Ocean Safari right after for a lunch and snorkeling trip. But with the shortened time, I told BOS to forget about the lunch arrangements, and they will eat some snacks on the bus.

Earlier on the ship I had met another diver Ken. He and his brother followed us in Cozumel to Blue Angel dive shop the day before, and apparently also had a good dive. For Costa Maya, Ken was interested in following me to BOS, so I also emailed BOS about it and they said no problem.. Julie would wait for us just outside the port area, as they cannot come into the port area. Yes, it would’ve been 6am local time that we get in, so would expect that we would be out shortly after 6am since we are docking.

Well, on Aug. 31 we arrived Costa Maya, the ship was late getting into port. Prior to Costa Maya, the ship was in Cozumel, and there should be plenty of time, but somehow the ship was late. We waited at the gangway wanting to get off right away. It was frustrating that they finally let us off 45 min. late, at 6:45am local time (or 7:45am ship time) Also, the pier at an L shape, we were docked at the furthest location of the L. Furthermore, of the 3 gangway doors of the ship, they used the door furthest away. I don’t know why the ship did not use either of the other two doors at this port. We had quite a long walk to get to the port area where there are lots of shops. We then found they made the walkway in an S shape forcing you to walk a long way around many shops, before getting to the taxi/bus/shuttle area.

My wife’s group were to purchase a $3 ticket to catch a shuttle to Mahahual (to the Chacchoben ruin tour). Ken and I walked outside looking for Julie’s car, but didn’t find it. Well, we were 1 hr from the time the ship was supposed to dock. We went back to ask, but did not find anything, then decided to walk further out. When we walked 2 blocks out to an intersection, that’s where we caught a taxi. The taxi told us it’s $2/person. We then understand that the port was selling $3 tickets to get their cut of $1.

I showed the taxi driver the address, but when we got there, he didn’t see any dive shop. I told him it is supposed to be south of the restaurant Pez Quadro (as Phil had told me), he then continued further on the dirt road and continue to look. A few blocks later we saw something like a hut (they were mostly huts there) with a poster with Blue Ocean Safari. We told the taxi to stop here. Saw a man handling some scuba gears and yelled to him if he was Phil. He was. Then the taxi driver said it’s $3, because it’s further away from the main part of the town Mahuhual. It turned out the address from BOS’ web site is for the office they are building in downtown Mahuhual, whereas the dive op is located several blocks south.

Phil said Julie went to pick us up but did not find us. Phil was putting a bunch of BCs on the deck of the hut. The hut had dried grass top and later on the counter opened as a bar/restaurant. The BCs looked new or barely used. I had asked to rent a computer and Phil had one for me too. Phil said he went to a local shop to get the 100cf tanks as I requested, but they were out of air. In fact, that shop’s compressor broke, so they all had to drive north 45 min to get air fills. Anyway, we’ll all diving with 80cf tanks. I then found out Ken and I are the only two divers. It took a little while for Phil to get things organized. We were then on our way.

It was a 5-10min ride to the first dive site, at Escallones. It was a small boat, and we are to back roll into the water. This was the first time in a small boat like this and the first time with back roll entry, so I was glad I got to do something new. When Ken turned on his tank, it only showed 1500 psi. Phil was surprised, as he drove to get 16 tanks filled the day before. He then switched his tank with Ken. The viz was about 80-90’, not as good as Belize or Cozumel, but still not bad.

As the dive briefing, we first went down to sand, checked buancy, then head into the reef. The reef looked healthy, pristine. The dive started at 8:40am. There were more colors than in Belize (it was quite plain, mostly beige color in Belize). There were more variety of sea fans, lots of pink sponges/corals, horns, tubes, barrel sponges, brain coral, fire corals, etc.. The barrel sponges had more variety and colors than Belize and Cozumel. But the fish variety looked smaller than Coz (Coz had some big fish).

The surface temp was 95, and water temp 85 top and bottom. There were some canyons or abyss, but not very deep. We went down/through some of them, but it was not like cavern/cave swim throughs in Coz. After a little while we can to a wall, and went down a bit. The computer showed the deepest at 93' and I didn't realize we actually got that deep in this dive. I was wearing lycra skin top and pants, and 10lbs of weight.

This was an enjoyable dive, but we were also concerned about Phil’s air. After about 25 min. he pointed to us his air gauge. We continued a bit, then few minutes later had to go to the safety stop. The dive ended at 35min, 9:15am. I had 800psi. I felt that was actually pretty good. When we were going up the boat, Ken indicated that I should unbuckle my BC to hand the BC/tank to the captain, then it’ll be easier to climb the stairs. Another new thing I learned. Phil apologized about the air situation, and said he felt bad that he gypped us in air. As we were riding back, I began to feel a bit sick. It may have been the small boat.

I had a MX10 camera, but after taking a few pictures, it got stuck. I had this problem earlier. So I went looking for a dark place to try to rewind the film and take it out, and put a new roll in. I just bought a macro lense and a strobe, so I was disappointed that I was having problem with the camera itself.

Back on shore we met Julie. I told Julie the Taxi driver at first didn’t find them, based on the address I had from their web site. Julie was surprised. Julie had mentioned the restaurant name that they were by, but because it was a Spanish name I did not pay attention at that time, thinking I have the printed address from their web site with me. So I suggested to Julie they better fix their web site address so people don’t go to the downtown office that isn’t yet built.

After a little rest, we went back out. I felt I would get cold in water just wearing lycra, so I wore my 3mm full wetsuit for this dive, and used 14lbs of weight. Phil stayed on shore while the DM this time was Doug. Before going out on this dive, we checked the tanks, and found another one that had only 1600psi. Doug had to switch that one. I guess they now learned that they need to check all the air fills from now on.

It was again a short boat ride out. Doug gave a short briefing, and it would’ve been similar dive landscape to the first one. As we begin to descending, Ken and I were vertical releasing air from the inflator, while Doug went down on horizontal on his back, looking at us. I was really surprised that he went down really fast. I went down a lot slower. We got to sand bottom and quickly checked buancy and began moving into the reef. The landscape was quite similar to the first dive, but viz seemed a little worse, probably 70’. Surface temp was 98 (hot) and water temp was 87.

Doug pointed out a few things, purple Pederson cleaner shrimp, triangle box fish (almost like a little ray), yellow arrowhead crab, and a big lobster. I stayed there to take a few pictures of the big lobster, and one picture was the best of the entire trip with good focus and light. There were some canyons/abyss, not very deep. We swam in some of them. There were lots of different kind of fish, some very colorful. Doug said they were blue chromis, flamingo tongue cowrie, etc. We saw lots of fans, fire coral, vase sponge, big barrel sponges.

We then went over to a wall. It wasn’t a vertical wall but had some slope. We swam by the wall a bit. There I saw one purple vase sponge that was shaped almost like Taiwan (where I originally came from). I tried to take several pictures there. Well, I tried to take pictures at quite a few places in this dive, not knowing how it will turn out with the macro lense and strobe. Later on found the strobe was out of battery (uck!) and the lighting wasn’t very good. It was too bad, because there could’ve been a few good pictures.

During this dive, my camera didn’t get stuck winding early, and went through most of the roll before being stuck, probably rewinding. I was running low on air ½ hr into the dive. I was disappointed in my air consumption. When we went to the safety stop, at first I went almost right to the surface, and had to swam down. Anyway, this dive went to 83’ deep, with bottom time of 34min, even 1 min. shorter than the previous dive when Phil started with 1500psi. I was disappointed that I used air so quickly in this dive. I wonder if it could be because I stopped at a few places to take pictures, and then had to catch up, using more air in the process. Maybe because I changed to the 3mm wetsuit and wore more weights, it changed buancy and air consumption. This dive was from 10:03 – 10:37am, and I ended up with 200psi. Ken ended up with lots of air left, but mentioned he’s usually pretty good on air.

On the ride back, Doug pointed out where the Dream Time dive shop was located. It was about two blocks south of where BOS is. We also talked about that we would have to book through Carnival, at twice the price, to dive with Dream Time. Carnival takes a big cut in the deal.

Doug said the dive site was called Blue Ha. When I talked to Julie right after about the payment, she indicated I can tip Doug directly and pay the rest to her. I asked about the dive site name Blue Ha, then Julie told me it’s called Dosojos, and that Doug likes to call it Blue Ha because he was the owner of the dive op Blue Ha, now called Dream Time. I guess he helped to build a good history for Blue Ha/Dream Time.

We then waited for my wife and friends to come for the snorkeling trip. I was wondering if they would be able to find the place. Ken ordered some lunch from the restaurant and I order a juice. The price was reasonable. Some people came to speak to Julie and Phil in Spanish, they were probably locals. Julie went to get a big of snorkeling gears, all looked brand new. At a bit after 11am, Phil took them out to a snorkeling trip. Another lady also took the BC I was using. I was wondering when my wife would get here.

Ken and I also saw a bus dropped off a bunch of people to a building a few doors down. Soon they came out wearing life jackets, all looking shining and brand new. It turned out they were all going kayaking. The kayaks were the transparent type and looked new. There was someone cutting wood, spray painting, and building right by the restaurant. Several times we saw some roller trucks driving by the dirt road, compressing the dirt. It looked like this place is continuing being built, and people like Julie/Phil and the shops next door are all new businesses, with brand new equipment.

Julie also mentioned that their compressor was already hooked up, but they are waiting for license, to use it. She had some storage locking up her BCs and snorkeling gear, but were stolen, so they are building a new storage place. The downtown office is being built but they were learning that when people tell you it’ll be ready tomorrow, it could be a week or a month later.

When it was about 12;30pm, we felt we should be getting back to port. I figured my wife and gang would know they didn’t have enough time for a snorkeling trip, and would know to go back to port too. But as Julie was driving Ken and I back, we saw my wife’s group walking toward us. It turned out their ruins trip started out late (had to wait for some people, but it was a good trip). At the end they were dropped off at the place according to BOS’ web site address but did not find BOS. They asked some locals who then pointed them this way, so they were walking. They appeared hot and tired, so we took my mother-in-law and another lady into Julie’s car. We told the others to get a taxi to get back to port.

Along the drive back, Julie pointed out how things were being developed and built there. She said they are really expanding in Costa Maya/Mahuhual, and many more cruisers would be coming here. There are more shops, hotels, condos, all going up. She dropped us off outside the gates to the port. She said they did arrange with a shuttle for pickup/dropff before, but the guy let them down.

This port stop and diving trip wasn’t that smooth, with the address and the low air in some tanks. But I can also see this as part of the growing pain, in a very new location. The actual diving experience underwater is quite good. Healthy reef, lots of fish, good colors, good landscape, and I didn’t have to pay twice the amount to Carnival. But make sure you get the Spanish name of the restaurant where they are located before going, so you don't go to the downtown office yet to be built.

Middleager,

I'm so glad to see your review posted.... Even if it's not 100% positive, at least it gives us an idea of what to expect....

I was hoping some of those issues, (transportation, air) would have been fixed by now.... We have a fairly large group going.... But sounds like the diving was great.... Now we know to get the restaurant name, check the air before diving and such.... Good to know.......I know they are having growing pains.. I hope it gets better....

I heard this dive operation is affiliated with a local resort in the area called the Luna de Plata Hotel. I have no idea when the location change took place, but that is what is on our vouchers.

I am guessig the move took place after your dives in August. The low tanks are a bummer - hopefully the issues with the air compressor will be fixed by the time we dive in December - I will not be happy if they aren't!

Our dive package coordinator has said that the reports coming in lately have been positive. Transportation issues are huge - my biggest concens actually. The dive op and my package coordinator have been discussing transportation for my group. I'm not sure if it would be better if everyone simply made arrangements to get to the dive shop on their own - cab fare and accesibility seem to NOT be a problem.

Getting to the resort doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a problem. Also, our dive coordinator is going diving with Blue Ocean Safari the day before we dive with them - I am not worried - they have a lot at stake!!

Suzi

Transportation should not be a problem, after you get the name of the place. Mahuhual is not very big. There were maybe two streets in the first part, then just one road a little further south. Taxi should be easy to get on cruise days.

I'm sure after that experience of tanks not been filled, they would learn by now to check all their air fills, if they don't have their own compressor licensed yet.

They many not have moved at all. They show one address on the web site, for their downtown office, but that's not where the dive op/boat and restaurant is located. It's just getting the right name/address of the place.

Transportation should not be a problem, after you get the name of the place. Mahuhual is not very big. There were maybe two streets in the first part, then just one road a little further south. Taxi should be easy to get on cruise days.

I'm sure after that experience of tanks not been filled, they would learn by now to check all their air fills, if they don't have their own compressor licensed yet.

They many not have moved at all. They show one address on the web site, for their downtown office, but that's not where the dive op/boat and restaurant is located. It's just getting the right name/address of the place.

Was the dive shop at the Luna de Plata hotel? That's what my voucher says it is located. The vouchers my divers and I got is very clear as to their location.

Bad reviews are a death sentence for many small dive operations. This particular dive operation has a lot at stake, as they are wanting to contract the dives for ShoreTrips - a large independent tour company in direct competition with the cruise lines. They recently signed on the "dotted line" with them - my group dive charter with them is sort of a test. My dive coordinator will be diving with them the day before we arrive in Costa Maya so I can't imagine them making the same mistake. But this is Mexico after all, so (unfortunately) none of what you said surprised me!

Thanks for your review - it was very informative.

We dove Mahahual on our last trip in 05 and booked the private resort through Island Marketing. Everything went smooth as silk very organized. I think Middleager wrote a very tolieable review considing the situation with the tanks I don’t belive an experienced operation would let that happen once let alone twice in one day.

Archived