Antartica Explorer 2

OutExploring

• 1 month later...

Kaelan,

My partner and I have been exploring the idea of an Antarctic cruise since last year and still have it in mind for a future date. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would book a South American itinerary between Buenos Aires and Santiago around Cape Horn without exploring Antarctica. Most big cruise ships can't break the ice so to speak. So, I think you have the right idea - get on the zodiacs and really see Antarctica. Just be prepared for the rough seas of the Drake Passage.

I've only sailed Regent once, when it was Radisson, on the Mariner, and it was very enjoyable. I'm sure they will do a good job in the Antarctic. I think Abercrombie and Kent uses Regent for their Antarctic tours so it must be great. Please report back with your comments and have a wonderful adventure.

Thanks for the message- why don't you guys join me? It would be nice to have other family on board. I have heard so much about the rough seas and will hope to be somewhat prepared for it- the patch, lot's of graval etc ..

It is somewhat expensive and I guess my only concern would be whether it would be boring after the first day- i.e. is getting off all the Islands going to be the same?

I was on the Seven Seas Navigator on a transatlantic crossing in April and had a wonderful time so am hoping this would be the same.

Let me know if you guys think you may be into coming.

Best regards,

Kaelan

We are in Cancun at the beginning of January (timeshare) and then on the Freedom of the Seas Atlantis cruise at the end of January so Antarctica has to be put off for another year. I would really appreciate your views on your experience since you are obviously well travelled. My hunch is that it will be an exhilarating and exciting adventure.

Kaelan - We are great fans of Regent (formerly Radisson), having just returned from a 10-day cruise in Europe on the lovely Voyager (and having enjoyed four previous cruises on RSSC, two on Voyager and two on the Paul Gauguin). But we decided to go with the Hanseatic (Hapag-Lloyd) for the Antarctica in January, 2007. This itinery, 18 days, is wonderful, including long stops in South Georgia (King penguins) and the South Shetlands. The Hanseatic is the most luxurious ship to cruise the Antarctic but also has an ice-hardened hull. Thus, we will get a marvelous combination of luxury onboard and great experiences on land (island, iceflow, whatever) with the many zodiacs the ship carries. You might want to consider the Hanseatic rather than Explorer II. It would be great to have family on board. Cheers, Fred

Kaelan - We are great fans of Regent (formerly Radisson), having just returned from a 10-day cruise in Europe on the lovely Voyager (and having enjoyed four previous cruises on RSSC, two on Voyager and two on the Paul Gauguin). But we decided to go with the Hanseatic (Hapag-Lloyd) for the Antarctica in January, 2007. This itinery, 18 days, is wonderful, including long stops in South Georgia (King penguins) and the South Shetlands. The Hanseatic is the most luxurious ship to cruise the Antarctic but also has an ice-hardened hull. Thus, we will get a marvelous combination of luxury onboard and great experiences on land (island, iceflow, whatever) with the many zodiacs the ship carries. You might want to consider the Hanseatic rather than Explorer II. It would be great to have family on board. Cheers, Fred

Hi Fred:

I don't see the Hanseatic sailing in January= I see a sailing on the Bremen leaving Jan 24 for 18 days. Could this be the one you are referring to?

Look forward to hearing from you. You can also write to me at Kaelan72@mac.com Thanks

Kaelan

Kaelan - It is indeed the Hanseatic. Here is the Hanseatic's homepage: http://www.hlkf.de/redwork/do.php?layoutid=100&node=39718&language=2 The reason that our Jan.20 - Feb. 7, 2007 cruise does not show is, I guess, that it is sold out. However, there may well be cancellations before the due date for final payment in October. By direct email, I have sent you the website of our TA, who is one of only two US agencies representing Hapag-Lloyd for this cruise. As between Explorer II and the Hanseatic, the latter is clearly the more luxurious ship. In addition to having an ice-hardened hull and being well-suited for expedition cruising, the Hanseatic is rated by the Berlitz guide as 5 stars, emphatically higher than the 3+ star rating given to Explorer II. You might want to read the respective reviews in the Berlitz guide of the two ships. That being said, we know several people who have gone on the Explorer II cruises in Antarctica and loved them. In fact, in case you haven't already seen it, here is an excellent thread that was posted earlier this year on CC - Ports of Call - South America about an Antarctica cruise on Explorer II: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=280451. Think good thoughts about penguins. Cheers, Fred

Archived