RCCL VS Carnival - food questions

Nick Needs To Know

This is NOT an attempt to start a food war. I know all too well how things escalate on the boards and, I just wanted to let it be known I am simply looking for opinions. I think we can all agree food is subjective and therefore, we must respect each other's ideas and opinions.

That being said...

I have cruised before on Carnival and a few other lines but, now am dipping my toes into the Royal Caribbean pool. Overall, I pretty much enjoyed Carnival's selection of food and the quality of the food. Naturally, there were a few bumps in the road and meals I didn't care for but, that's to be expected anywhere. Overall, I rate Carnival's food from good to very good.

On Carnival I have found lobster night to be hit or miss - I've had great lobster on Carnival and, I had one occassion I had to send it back (and I NEVER send back food, this was a huge exception). I find Carnival's pasta dishes just ok (I'm half Italian so I'm picky when it comes to pasta). However, I've always enjoyed Carnival's steaks and shrimp dishes. And, I find the pizza just ok (sorry I'm from NYC...I'm accustomed to the best of the best) and the burgers are average. I have eaten at the speciality restaurant on Carnival and felt it well worth the surcharge.

What can you tell me about Royal Caribbean's food? What do you recommend and what do tend to avoid?

Thanks.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nick. I'm usually a Carnival cruiser, but I was recently on an RCI cruise. Cuisine is so hard to compare, because of everybody's different taste buds, likes, dislikes, etc.

However - In general, I would say that Carnival has a large edge over RCI food.

I have all meals in the dining room, so can't say much about the buffets - on either line. (I'm a retired chef, so I'm kinda picky, but not to the point of ever complaining.) For instance, born and raised in N.O., so gumbo anywhere else (like you w/pizza) is nowhere near what we make. However, I realize there are no cajun cooks on board.:D

I certainly wouldn't say the food on RCI was bad, by any means. Most of it was quiet good. I just prefer Carnival - for both quality and presentation.

Hey Nick. I'm usually a Carnival cruiser, but I was recently on an RCI cruise. Cuisine is so hard to compare, because of everybody's different taste buds, likes, dislikes, etc.

However - In general, I would say that Carnival has a large edge over RCI food.

I have all meals in the dining room, so can't say much about the buffets - on either line. (I'm a retired chef, so I'm kinda picky, but not to the point of ever complaining.) For instance, born and raised in N.O., so gumbo anywhere else (like you w/pizza) is nowhere near what we make. However, I realize there are no cajun cooks on board.:D

I certainly wouldn't say the food on RCI was bad, by any means. Most of it was quiet good. I just prefer Carnival - for both quality and presentation.

Cotton - that's all I needed to know. I know enough not to expect gourmet food - one of my closests friends is a Chef too, so, couple that with the access to NYC restaurants and that has turned me into a bit of a food snob. Anyhow, I have a general idea of what to expect now and, that's all I was seeking. Thanks for answering my question!

Nick

I thought the lobster on RCI was also "hit or miss." On my first two cruises, it was great, but I didn't care for it as much on my third. But to be fair, I had a bit too much at Carlos n' Charlies on lobster day of my 3rd cruise, so I may be more to blame than RCI! :)

It's been over 3 years, but the things that still really stand out to me were dinner in the specialty restaurant (Portofino's), creme brulee, and coconut cookies from the Promenade. All 3 of those were excellent! The unusual-sounding soups in the dining room were also very good, although I don't remember specifically what they were.

I'll be on my first Carnival cruise in less than 3 weeks--What were your favorite foods on Carnival? Anything I should avoid completely?

Perky, I enjoy so many of Carnival's entrees, as well as the soups and appetizers.

The Chateaubriand, Beef Wellington, Chilean Sea Bass, Delice of the Ocean, Long Island Roast Duckling, Quail, Rack of New Zealand Lamb....the list goes on!:D

Sometimes when I can't decide, I'll have two appetizers (and two desserts). You can also have two-three entrees, if you'd like. They will serve multiple selections without blinking an eye. On formal night, I always have two lobster tails and prime rib. Oink-oink!

One of the nice things Carnival offers that many other lines don't is complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room. I always have a double espresso w/dessert every evening. Both are also available in the dining room for b'fast and lunch.:)

Cotton -- You've really got my mouth watering now! And I just might have to order two lobster tails! :)

Does Carnival have good cookies? I keep thinking about how much I loved RCI's cookies. And today DH brought some really good cookies home, and I've been trying all day to avoid them! It'll be a lot easier to keep my hands off the cookies here at home if I know that I can have some good ones on the Legend in 2 weeks! (When I've been dieting for a while, I really start to crave sweets! ... But hopefully I can hold off for a couple more weeks!)

The cookies are good. Some folks rave over them - and the brownies. I really believe the cookies are baked from the frozen chunky pieces of cookie dough that most restaurants buy from food vendors. I have bought the same for my businesses kitchens, and they're almost as good as homemade, because they're freshly baked.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Let me put it this way. I went on RCCL two years ago and it took me 1 hour to get a glass of water for breakfast. From my experience Canrnival is heads over RCCL. The midnight buffet on RCCL was terrible. We went to the private island kind of late and all the food was gone. Decided to go back to the ship and get some pizza only 2 slices was left had to end up waiting 2 hours to get something else to eat. Carnival we had food all day long whether you got off the ship or not.

(RCI)Decided to go back to the ship and get some pizza only 2 slices was left . Carnival we had food all day long whether you got off the ship or not.

Yep, it's really nice that the Carnival Pizzerias and soft serve ice cream and yogurt machines are open 24/7 - always great for a quick snack.:)

I agree that food is subjective.

That being said, I did not care for the food on any of my CCL cruises.

While the food on RCI varies from ship to ship, it is generally decent in the dining room. On Carnival, meals were served lukewarm, and I was never allowed order to order dishes prepared without the rich sauces, etc. that were prevalent. I was told on Glory to just "scrape it off".

I found their food to be heavy on salt and fat.

I ordered caviar one evening - at a premium price - and was served the jar along with melba toast, period. What a joke:mad:. If you do know how to properly serve a gourmet item, do not offer it at all.

We had to constantly request refills on water, coffee, bread. Service was mediocre the entire week.

The supper club, however, was very good in all aspects and the three nights we had dinner here were the best of the cruise.

Also, Carnival's dining room antics and entertainment, as well as the announcments, are a real turn off for me. I want to enjoy my dinner without a conga line snaking thru the tables.:cool:

JMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed RCCL twice and CCL twice and really enjoyed the food all 4 times. I do think that RCCL has better appetizers(their chilled soups are to die for!) and salads than Carnival. Carnival seems to have the better entrees and Buffet items. Another plus is the 24 hr ice cream machines, RCCL wants you to buy Ben and Jerry's.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Amy

I agree that food is subjective.

It can also vary cruise to cruise, ship to ship.

I ordered caviar one evening - at a premium price - and was served the jar along with melba toast, period. What a joke:mad:. If you do know how to properly serve a gourmet item, do not offer it at all.

Oh my! I can understand your shock.:eek: The only time I ordered caviar on a Carnival ship, it was served on fresh toast tips, with a few piped rosettes of cream cheese on the side of the toast.

We had to constantly request refills on water, coffee, bread. Service was mediocre the entire week.

Bad waiters. Could happen on any cruise, but no excuse for that. I've had to ask for bread only once.

Also, Carnival's dining room antics and entertainment, as well as the announcments, are a real turn off for me. I want to enjoy my dinner without a conga line snaking thru the tables.:cool:

I'm definitely with you on that one! I much prefer quiet dining experiences, and I truly wish Carnival would go back to the ONE evening of this - if that.:( I've seen 'entertainment' in the dining room on my other line cruises as well.

Unfortunately, one cruise is never like the one before or after.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on two Carnivals and one RCI and I have to say hands down Carnival has the best breakfast! I'm from the south, so things like breakfast are very important to me. I thought RCI dinners were better though, and the Johnny Rockets speciality restaurant was a nice add, despite the $5 surcharge.

Archived