Transportation between Vancouver and Seattle

We just did a 2 day repositioning cruise on the Diamond Princess. We decided to fly home from Seattle because it was about 1/2 the cost and we were planning to have dinner with a very close friend who lives in Seattle. The ship was supposed to dock at Vancouver at 10am, and we had reserved the 3:30 Quickcoach bus, which would have put our arrival in Seattle around 6:45 pm.

The ship was, because of various problems, roughly 5 hours late. Passenger Services had helped us rebook on the 7:00 bus, and our friend said she'd pick us up in Everett at 9:45. Not ideal, but it would work.

So, we wait at the airport for the 7pm bus. It finally arrives around 7:15, and leaves at 7:25. So, we're now 25 minutes. At the stop just before the Canadian border, the driver annouces a 10 minute break. (Their website says the buses have restrooms, and there will be no stops.) The break is closer to 20 minutes, and people are on their cells calling their airlines about their redeye flights.

By the time we hit Bellingham, we're about 35 minutes. By Everett, 45 minutes late. I don't know how late it was into SEATAC. The driver neither explained what happened or apologized for the delay. There may have been traffic before the Vancouver airport stop, but there was none past it. The bus was 1/2 full, so you'd think maybe they'd make up some time at customs.

Has anyone ever used Quickcoach? Is our experience typical or atypical? At the moment, we're thinking of doing these short cruises frenquently, so I'd like to know if there is a better option. Our current plan is to either fly into Vancouver directly or (if we want to see our friends), do a one-way car rental and drive ourselves.

Are there any other options to get to Seattle? Princess did not have a shuttle available.

Thanks for any information or advice.

Abby

That's too bad about QuickCoach, I've never used them but there have been mostly positive reviews here about them. I live in the Seattle area and my favorite way to get to or from Vancouver is Amtrak. Unfortunately, it only runs once a day each way, leaving Vancouver at 6PM and getting to Seattle at 10PM if it's ontime (which it's often not); and leaving Seattle at 7:45AM and getting to Vancouver at 11:30AM (again, often late--it was late on Friday when we took it up there to meet Dawn Princess). The upside to the train is the view is outstanding (it runs along the water most of the way), and the border-crossing is very painless. Going to Canada, the train doesn't even stop at the border--you clear customs and immigration in the station in Vancouver. Going to the US, you clear immigration at the station in Vancouver, and then the train stops at the border so a customs agent can collect your declaration forms and a dog can sniff the train. Much nicer than sitting in traffic at the border crossing on the highways. I would also recommend getting a business class seat on the train--they get to check-in first so there's no need to line up super early like the coach passengers usually do (if the train is oversold, the excess people get stuck on a bus). It's usually $10 or $11 more than coach and you get a $3 coupon for the snack bar onboard, plus wider seats and a little more legroom.

If the train doesn't work for you, my next choice would be the one-way car rental. There's a couple of rental agencies right in Canada Place for easy pick-up/drop-off.

Hi, just wanted to report on our May 15 Vancouver to Seattle post-cruise trip on Amtrak. We also preferred to fly home from Seattle for the lesser expensive fare. The train ride was fine, only departing Vancouver about 25 minutes late. From what I understand, this is not unusual. The announced explanation was that the crew was required to get x amount of rest between trips:eek:

Anyway, it was our first and we really enjoyed the scenery. We went Coach and were quite comfortable. The snack bar, however, was a bit crowded and we were told that they were just about out of food:eek: The foods were microwavable and not so great; we did not dine in dining car. (Movie: "Glory Road.")

Although the wait between leaving the ship and boarding the train was long, we enjoyed our day sightseeing in Vancouver. And our fare, for two adults, was a bit under $50, with AARP/AAA rates. And, as mentioned in another post, seamless passage across border. All in all, would recommend it, just for the experience of it:) Loved the scenery and the sunset!

I think that is the best way to go because you are on no ones schedule.

It can average about $100US for a one way mid size car from Vancouver cruiseship terminal to the SeaTac...

The only thing is yes you are subject to the border line up but if you

go in the evening (after spending a day in Vancouver) then you won't have much a wait.

I used to work for a car rental company at the cruiseship terminal and

it was definately a popular choice for people.

Well, I am off for my 1st cruise on Sunday..

Good luck with your choices..

Cheers! Leanne

PS: Quickshuttle is also a good company but your are always going to stop at the border and get off for immigrations..

I want to put in an other vote for the train.. both ways. but you have to leave a time cushion. it is the train after all...and it's usually late. However our experience is contrary to most. Business class is not tht much more expensive and much nicer.

The best way is the one way car rental however.

FYI ....Border times lately have been 1 1/2-3 hours on the weekends mid day (southbound ....northbound not too bad) because of Gas prices being so much better in the US.

I just took a bus straight from the pier in Vancouver to SeaTac. From the time we stopped & for our passports to be checked, it only took 15 minutes max, most of the time was waiting to get close to the front & trying to get out since we were behind a greyhound bus. I wasn't worrying about catching a flight, I left on Memorial Day.

Archived