Choosing a room. Cat I - Deck 2??

Hopefully this will be my last questin before we book!!

Before we book I guess we need to choose a room or deck?? When I called last night to get price quotes and such I knew we wanted an Oceanview room. The price they gave me was for Deck 2, Cat I. I have pretty much no idea what that means, other than it is on the lowest deck. The vacation planner I spoke with told me that each deck you go up would be $10 per person.

Does it matter what deck we are on? What are the down sides to being on the lowest deck? I know it is suppost to be more stable (good for us first time cruisers), but is it noiser? Why the difference in price?

Hopefully this will be my last questin before we book!!

Before we book I guess we need to choose a room or deck?? When I called last night to get price quotes and such I knew we wanted an Oceanview room. The price they gave me was for Deck 2, Cat I. I have pretty much no idea what that means, other than it is on the lowest deck. The vacation planner I spoke with told me that each deck you go up would be $10 per person.

Does it matter what deck we are on? What are the down sides to being on the lowest deck? I know it is suppost to be more stable (good for us first time cruisers), but is it noiser? Why the difference in price?

We were on deck 2 for both of our cruises and had no problems. We had an inside on the first and an ocean view the 2nd. Both times the cabins were toward the middle of the ship. I have heard that some of the forward cabins will hear the anchor dropping on port days. Some people feel that it is too far from the pool and windjammer. That didn't bother us either time. The cabins may be a little smaller then some of the cabins on the higher decks also. It just depends on what is important to you.

It's a long way up to all the activities! Most likely, you will be using the elevator alot, (8 flights of stairs is alot!!!) and you will have long waits at times. I think the lower decks have portholes, a bit further up, and you get windows.

On the plus side, lower decks are more stabile in the water, so you will have a bit of a smoother ride, should seas get rough. There shouldn't be much noise anywhere on the ship.

In general, the higher you go, the better the real estate!!!!

It also depends on which ship you are looking at.

We sailed on deck 2 of the Navigator. The "Porthole" was about 4' across... plenty big for a window. It was very stable and particularly quiet, as the only people you will find there are those who have a room there!

Was leary at first about being on the "bowels of the ship", but after having done it, I would do it again in a flash if I were chosing a standard OV room.

Also, you are very close to the heart of the ship... restaurant, promonade, theaters... it is the pool and sports decks that are elevator worthy ;)

Book it and enjoy!

A~

Archived