Are Dress Blues appropriate?

Would it be appropriate for my husband, a retired Marine, to wear his Dress Blues on formal night?

I would think it is very appropriate! I don't know for sure though.

Just leave the sabre at home..:D

Thank him for his service to our country

Semper Fi

We were on a cruise several years ago while he was on active duty and he wore his Dress Whites then (tells you how long ago that was because the Marines don't even have Dress Whites anymore!!), but I wasn't sure if it was okay for him to wear his uniform now that he is retired. I'm glad everyone thinks so because he still looks stunning in his uniform!!

If it is appropriate to wear the uniform for other formal functions then it would be fine.

Dress Uniforms are great, and all that have the right to wear the should.

Please thank him for his service

From one Marine to another

There is nothing more impressive than a Marine standing tall in Dress Blues. I still have mine saved away and they are one of the few things that I will never part with.

Semer Fi

Randy

From retired Army SFC to retired Marine:

By All Means, wear your uniform!!! I plan to wear my dress blues on the next cruise myself.

And if what I have read here, and on other boards about men in uniform on a cruise, you, the wife, may want to carry his sabre!!! LOL!!!

Enjoy your cruise, get lots of pictures, be sure to write us a review upon your return.

Will this be your first cruise??? This is a great place to learn tons on intel on the do's and don't, (More do's than don'ts)

Matt

From one Military Wife to another:

YES

Just think of it as another magical Marine Corps Ball, without his commanding officer present.

And on a side note, Thank You for YOUR service to our country. Twenty plus years of keeping the homefront going is no easy task. Enjoy your retirement!

I wore my Navy CPO dress blues on Grandeur, and dress whites on Mariner. I am retired, and spent a lot of time proving to another Marine about 6 months ago that he could wear his. One of his supervisors was trying to tell him that he wasn't allowed to wear his dress uniform without specific permission from his CO. It worked out, he sought someone else in his chain of command and they agreed that he was authorized to wear the Marine dress uniform to dinner. All in all, I enjoyed the hand shakes, congrats and generally nice things that people said about the uniform at dinner. Makes great pictures, too. I think he'll be glad that he wore his uniform.

Sheri,

Tell your husband to wear his uniform. There will be some who say that since it is not an "official" function that it should not be worn, along with it being a foreign flagged vessel, that it is a political statement, etc... Heck with them.

I commend him for putting his time in and he should wear it with pride.

Semper Fi

Dave (USMC '80-86)

:mad: TECHNICALLY uniforms should NOT be worn on cruises. During the Vietnam war, wearing a uniform would have probably resulted in your being thrown overboard. THANK GOD, times have changed. If you are going to wear a uniform make sure it fits well and you look sharp. God bless our Armed Forces. Ftrplt

I'd like to mention that military women should wear their uniforms as well, there have been a couple of threads asking about whether it was appropriate for women to wear uniforms. I personally think it would great for all miltary personnel to wear their uniforms, for that matter, police, fire and EMT's to wear dress uniforms as well. JMHO, and if you didn't know it, sailors are very humble! LOL, just ask one.

:mad: TECHNICALLY uniforms should NOT be worn on cruises. During the Vietnam war, wearing a uniform would have probably resulted in your being thrown overboard. THANK GOD, times have changed. If you are going to wear a uniform make sure it fits well and you look sharp. God bless our Armed Forces. Ftrplt

Where did you get this information? :confused: I've seen several threads about this, which have included responses from cruise line staff, and not one person said uniforms should not be worn. Some mentioned the same thing you did about Vietnam, but that was years ago and times have changed. I've seen nothing that said it would be inappropriate or a dress code violation.

Archived