5 night on explorer of the seas Questions

danandlee

I have been doing research on the net but can not get the real answers i am looking for.

we have never been on a cruise and to be honest we are not really crazy about people so never wanted to go on a cruise. The idea of sitting with people we dont know at diner is enough to keep me off the ship but people tell me i dont have to sit with people.

Can we sit alone every meal including formal dress night? If so will it cost extra?

What is the deal with drinks? I assume you pay for it but do you pay cash?

Are the pools so packed that swimming is out of the question?

Is the wait for the rock climbing wall,ice skating and other activities so long that you dont even do them?

Can you sit out on the balcony or are they like 2feet big?

will this be the closest i come to being in a heard of cattle?

Thank you for the help in advance i know it sounds silly but i just dont know what to think so of course i assume the worst.

Thanks again

I once agreed with you. I did not want to eat with other people at my table. I didn't want to feel cramped in or herded around. I have to tell you on the explorer you will NEVER feel that way. I have not been on Explorer but I have been on her sister the Voyager for a 5 night to Bermuda out of cape liberty last year. The ship is VAST. there is a Promenade deck that is just like being in a shopping mall on land. Not as many stores mind you but still lots of room. The dining room is 3 floors and YES you can request a table for 2 or 4 or 6 or 8. There is no extra costs but there may not be tables for 2 available. When you check in they will print you an ID card called your Sea Pass card this is your on-board credit card for buying drinks and merchandise, your room key to get into your cabin your id card to get on and off the ship and will also have your table and seating assignment for dinner, there are 2 seatings early and late. When they are printing that card ask if you can be placed at a table for 2. They may tell you that you have to wait till you get on board and talk to the Dinning room staff. You can go to the dinning room straight away and they will adjust the seating if possible. I would have to say 85% of the time they can accommodate you. I suggest you pack a small carry on bag to keep with you and check everything you don't need. It sometimes takes a few hours before you get your bags. You probably won't even be allowed to your cabin for the first hour or so (depends on how early you arrive at the port) while they clean them from the last cruise. If they are not able to get you a table for 2 then you have other options. There is the Windjammer café on board which is a buffet style food and you can eat there for EVERY meal if you like you never have to visit the dining room. Or you can pay the 20 cover charge and go to Portifinos which is an on board Italian restaurant. I suggest the first night go to the dinning room, You may really like the company. I was hesitant at first but have met some wonderful people at dinner. The balcony is big enough for 2 chairs and a small little table, so yes you can sit on the balcony. You can even order room service every night and eat out there if you don't like your table. There is no extra charge for room service. On board there is NO cash everything is paid for on your sea pass card.Which will be settled at the end on your credit card or you can use cash to pay at the end. Or you can even put cash on the card at the beginning and that will act as your credit limit. It is up to you. cash is necessary at the end for tipping, unless you want to put that on your credit card as well. They will give you a guide and envelopes for who to tip and how much. YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME.

I have now decided to NEVER vacation in any other way. You can't beat a cruise for both service and price. You get so much more than what you pay for on a cruise.

Since your going to Bermuda, you will be in the Atlantic which is a little more rocky then a Caribbean cruise so bring some sea sick medicine. I like Bonine, Even if you never get sea sick please bring some, that is the only way your vacation can be ruined. Have a great time and let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike

in 2003 we took our 1st cruise (family of 4, 2 teen sons). i wasn't sure how we'd like it so i booked the shortest cruise on the majesty (royal caribbeans oldest ship) i think it was a 3 night cruise. having nothing to compare it to....we thought the ship was AWESOME. when it was our last sailing day we were already depressed but made up for it by immediately booking another cruise for the next year. as of this moment.....we've been on 3 with 3 more booked. we are such total and complete cruise geeks that over last weekend we went to watch the LIBERTY (the largest ship in the world also royal caribbean) sail away. there is nothing more that i can add that the OP didn't say except........TRY IT ....YOU'LL LIKE IT!

I have been doing research on the net but can not get the real answers i am looking for.

we have never been on a cruise and to be honest we are not really crazy about people so never wanted to go on a cruise. The idea of sitting with people we dont know at diner is enough to keep me off the ship but people tell me i dont have to sit with people.

Can we sit alone every meal including formal dress night? If so will it cost extra?

What is the deal with drinks? I assume you pay for it but do you pay cash?

Are the pools so packed that swimming is out of the question?

Is the wait for the rock climbing wall,ice skating and other activities so long that you dont even do them?

Can you sit out on the balcony or are they like 2feet big?

will this be the closest i come to being in a heard of cattle?

Thank you for the help in advance i know it sounds silly but i just dont know what to think so of course i assume the worst.

Thanks again

First of all go to the RC board and on the roll call for your cruise and look around. Most people are friendly also there will be a cruise critic meeting where you can meet people. Some of what you get out of the cruise is your attitude. I can tell from your post, and pardon my frankness, that you need an attitude adjustment. If you have a positive attitude that things will go well, its better than starting out that everything will go wrong.

Here are some specific answers to your questions.

You can request a table for two. You can request from the Matre D a tabe for two as well.

Yes alcohol and soda are charged extra. You use you room key which you have opened an account with a credit card or cash deposit before you get on the ship.

The Pools are usually not so packed that you can't swim although sometimes they are. There will be chair hogs or reserve the chairs even thougfh they may not be in them. that is the way it is, even though there are rules against it. Usually the pools are relatively uncrowded early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

The rock walls etc are on some cruises very crowded and others not so. it depends on the passenger mix and if school is out.

The balconys are fair size more than 2 feet and less than 10. It depends on which you get but they are all adequate for two chairs and a table.

All the cruise lines try to make you not feel like a herd of cattle, sometime they are successful sometimes they aren't. If you don't want to be with the herd, wait until the stampede is over and try not to be the first off the ship. Waiting a half an hour can make all the difference in the world.

Finally remember to tip that is what the service crew is getting paid.

Hey, DanandLee,

My son Dan and his bride Leigh will be getting married on Explorer next month, and DH and I as well as Leigh's folks and sis are joining them on their honeymoon cruise. When are you sailing?

I appreciate your concerns, and Mikesterr addressed them pretty well. One addendum -- if you do take his suggestion for room service often or every night, you will need some cash to tip the person who delivers your meal, as that is not included. Other than that, save your cash for spending on the Island.

Unfortunately, there are no official CruiseCritic meetings on 5-day cruises, but often people who post to Roll Calls do arrange to meet in person on the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise. We're not doing that this time because of wedding festivities, but have very much enjoyed such meetings in the past.

It definitely adds to the fun of the cruise when you run into people whose faces you recognize, and sometimes you may choose to actually do things together (excursions, dinner, drinks, whatever) with people you meet. :eek:

Re being in a cattle herd -- this will be our first time on ExplorerOS, but we rarely felt that way on her sister ships, AdventureOS and NavigatorOS.

And even in a crowd, there are usually friendly, cheerful, funny and/or upbeat people, who add to the enjoyment of folks around them. Open your eyes and your hearts a little bit -- you may be totally delighted by who/what you discover!

Our expectations have a lot to do with our eventual experience -- on a cruise, and in life. So might as well expect to enjoy!! :D

The only time I have ever felt like cattle is getting on board. I had a cruise that began in a city with no airport so the cruise line tranported the entire ship's pssengers at once and we all had to board at the same time. You will not have to face this. Also, if you do the online check in it will go much smoother.

As far a sea sickness is concerned, the pursers desks usually have some sort of sea sickness medication they hand out for free. I wouldn't bother bringing it unless there is a particular brand I liked. If they seas are rough, I have seen them put out barf bags like the ones that come one airplaces. I did a pacific crossing and most of the ship was sick. After the first full day, your will probably get used to it unless you are very sensitive to seasickness.

If you want a table for two, go see the matre d when you board. If you can see him before people know they seating assignments, it makes it less of a hassle to move you. You only have to worry about this for the main dining room for dinner. It is open seating for breakfast and lunch. You can also go to the alternative restaurants and it where you want. I actually enjoy the larger tables since the dinners are about 2 hours long. I find it more festive and entertaining to have a group of people to talk to rather than just my DH.

As for the people, since they are on vacation and will only see you once, you typically find people more open and friendly than any other time. Of course there are exceptions and there are those who complain, yell, and/or scream. But for the most part people aren't afraid to stike up conversations or share stories with fellow cruisers. My last two cruises I spent most of my time away from my group and make so many new friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Mike, My wife and I are sailing on the 5 days Explorer of the seas to Bermuda cruise. We would like to know if you could tell us when certain events are from day to day. For instance, the first day is there a welcome aboard show and do they have a party in the promenade? When are the ice shows? What days? What nights are the Production shows? Do they have a grand buffet/ captain's Gala and what day? Do they have a farewell dinner? Do they have any late night comedy shows and what days? I know these are a lot of questions, but we are going soon. Can you answer these questions. Thanks a lot in advance and keep CRUISING!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

Archived