Dolphin Swim Help Please

tapia

Good morning! I've been lurking on this board for a while and am going on Princess in February 2007.

I know there are already a lot of dolphin threads & I think I went through most of them. If this is answered already, please point me in the right direction :-)

DH really wants to do a dolphin swim, as do I. I have tried already to book through Vallerta Adventures (through 2 websites) and they told me that since I'm coming on a Princess ship, they can't risk the contract with Princess and I have to book directly through the line. So, that leaves me with 3 options.

I have a choice of the Royal Dolphin Swim in PV for $169 a person which has the following description:

A day of adventure and discovery awaits you at Sea Life Park Vallarta.

Your adventure begins with a short transfer to Sea Life Park Vallarta where a day of adventure and discovery awaits! Your experience begins with an informative video orientation, followed by a presentation by dolphin trainers. Then move to a training area, where you are introduced to this marvelous marine mammal. Under the watchful eyes of the trainer, spend approximately 30 minutes in the water with a dolphin, experiencing several behaviors that may include a kiss, a swim by, a foot push, a dorsal tow and a hurdle jump. You also have some free time snorkeling with the dolphin. Following your dolphin swim enjoy a hot dog for lunch and then take in the wonderful Sea Lion Show and of course the famous dolphin show. A full two hours in the Park where you will enjoy from an array of slides ranging from our beautiful children's area to our speed slides for the adventurers.

or doing it in Cabo which has no price (I'm not sure if this is good or bad) with the below description.

This Dolphin swim gives you a chance to talk, touch, play and swim with our gentle and exquisite bottlenose dolphins.

The tour begins with 10-minute walk to the center where you will have an interactive orientation which includes a brief presentation to dolphin characteristics, how to use hand signals and positive reinforcement to communicate with the dolphin and various safety guidelines. Next, you will proceed to our pools where you will meet and play with the dolphins for 30 minutes, getting to know each other through hugs, kisses, rubdowns and a one-on-one swim together through the facility.

OR, I could book in PV with the separate facility. What do you think? Any help?

OK..not sure what you mean by choice # 3..."booking the "seperate facility in PV?"..I thought you said they would not book you seperate since they had a contract with Princess but? I'm a little confused..Of the 2 you mentioned I would do the Royal Dolphin Swim..because it sounds like you have more time in the water with the Dolphins..(eg. "free time snorkeling with the dolphins")..based on the description of the Cabo facility (haven't been there, YET!) it sounds very minimal..but I did get greedy!..the first time I went 30 minutes was AWESOME..but after that..you want alot more time!!! SO..if you can help me understand the option in PV (re the seperate facility) will try and help! What ever you do with these wonderful creatures of the sea...you will be forever enchanted!!!!!! LuAnn

Sorry, about not being clear on #3: I think there are 2 different dolphin places in PV. I know Valerta Adventures is a no-go, but I think there's another place, right?

I actually have no idea which dolphin swim they even mean at the Cabo facility, because it doesn't say on the website. They both just have the descriptions I posted earlier, which say 30 minutes only. I'm greedy too! I'd love to do the best thing I can, but Princess isn't forthcoming with too much information...........

Thanks!

Cabo Dolphins are regularly priced at $165.00. I don't know what Princess sells them for, but it's probably quite a bit more - it's probably like fancy restaurants - if you have to ask...it's too expensive.

There are two facilities - Vallarta Adventures (Dolphin Center) and the other which you already mentioned (Royal Dolphin Swim). So, choice #3 isn't really a choice because it's the same as choice #1.

There is another choice too - you can book the Vallarta Adventures swim as long as you book with a third party tours agency in Puerto Vallarta - there are several websites that sell Puerto Vallarta tours to choose from, and some will give you a discount. You just can't book directly with Vallarta Adventures. The swim if booked through an agency will likely cost about $115.00.

Cabo Dolphins are regularly priced at $165.00. I don't know what Princess sells them for, but it's probably quite a bit more - it's probably like fancy restaurants - if you have to ask...it's too expensive.

There are two facilities - Vallarta Adventures (Dolphin Center) and the other which you already mentioned (Royal Dolphin Swim). So, choice #3 isn't really a choice because it's the same as choice #1.

There is another choice too - you can book the Vallarta Adventures swim as long as you book with a third party tours agency in Puerto Vallarta - there are several websites that sell Puerto Vallarta tours to choose from, and some will give you a discount. You just can't book directly with Vallarta Adventures. The swim if booked through an agency will likely cost about $115.00.

Thanks! I would probably like to book through a 3rd party--do you have any websites?

Thanks!

Hi there,

As a travel agent member of CruiseCritic, it's against the rules of the board for me to recommend you to a travel or tour agency, but if you do a quick search on Google or another search engine, you should find several sites to choose from quite easily. The only ones you can't use are www.vallarta-adventures.com and www.dolphin-adventure.com, since these are both Vallarta Adventures.

Hi there,

As a travel agent member of CruiseCritic, it's against the rules of the board for me to recommend you to a travel or tour agency, but if you do a quick search on Google or another search engine, you should find several sites to choose from quite easily. The only ones you can't use are www.vallarta-adventures.com and www.dolphin-adventure.com, since these are both Vallarta Adventures.

I have noticed that you always give people good information on this website - thanks for taking the time to be so helpful! :)

You DO always help everyone...and as a firm believer in this wonderful experience I do appreciate your help for everyone looking for this adventure! I know that there is some controversy about the "captive" aspect of these animals..but I believe, as an animal activist, that the more we humans can interact with our animal friends, the more we will decide to help them endure in the wild...as a life long member of just about every animal activist group in the world...I think, if you try this experience, you will value, love and trust that everything you can do to help them survive will be something that you will treasure for ever! LuAnn

I booked the Dolphin swim with the cruise line (Royal Caribbean, but it's the same place) in PV and I loved it. I had a wonderful time.

When you arrived you are taken to an covered area where you sit looking at the dolphin pools and listen to a program about the dolphins. Afterwards you get into the water and interact with the dolphins. Everyone has a chance to touch and swim with a dolphin. Each dolphin has a small group with a trainer, I think there was 8 people in my group. You basically hold on to the side of the pool while one person is doing the interaction. Afterwards you can have a snack and look around the facilities while they develop the photos and print out copies of the video that you can purchase. The bus ride there and back is airconditioned....which is nice.

It certainly is pricey, and I doubt I would ever do it again, but I am very glad I did it once.

• 2 weeks later...

[We just did the Dolphin swimm in Cabo We found the swim very disorganized. Our guide was rather rude and really didn't seem to care if we were enjoying swim. It felt to us that he was doing us a favor. It was quite a lot of money and was 7 people for 1/2 hour. we got a kiss from the Dolphin shook his fins got a fin tow and petted him a bit. All for pictures which then they push on you. They do not allow you or anyone else to take pictures. Maybe Puerto Vallarta would be better since they have been doing it longer.

quote=tapia]Good morning! I've been lurking on this board for a while and am going on Princess in February 2007.

I know there are already a lot of dolphin threads & I think I went through most of them. If this is answered already, please point me in the right direction :-)

DH really wants to do a dolphin swim, as do I. I have tried already to book through Vallerta Adventures (through 2 websites) and they told me that since I'm coming on a Princess ship, they can't risk the contract with Princess and I have to book directly through the line. So, that leaves me with 3 options.

I have a choice of the Royal Dolphin Swim in PV for $169 a person which has the following description:

A day of adventure and discovery awaits you at Sea Life Park Vallarta.

Your adventure begins with a short transfer to Sea Life Park Vallarta where a day of adventure and discovery awaits! Your experience begins with an informative video orientation, followed by a presentation by dolphin trainers. Then move to a training area, where you are introduced to this marvelous marine mammal. Under the watchful eyes of the trainer, spend approximately 30 minutes in the water with a dolphin, experiencing several behaviors that may include a kiss, a swim by, a foot push, a dorsal tow and a hurdle jump. You also have some free time snorkeling with the dolphin. Following your dolphin swim enjoy a hot dog for lunch and then take in the wonderful Sea Lion Show and of course the famous dolphin show. A full two hours in the Park where you will enjoy from an array of slides ranging from our beautiful children's area to our speed slides for the adventurers.

or doing it in Cabo which has no price (I'm not sure if this is good or bad) with the below description.

This Dolphin swim gives you a chance to talk, touch, play and swim with our gentle and exquisite bottlenose dolphins.

The tour begins with 10-minute walk to the center where you will have an interactive orientation which includes a brief presentation to dolphin characteristics, how to use hand signals and positive reinforcement to communicate with the dolphin and various safety guidelines. Next, you will proceed to our pools where you will meet and play with the dolphins for 30 minutes, getting to know each other through hugs, kisses, rubdowns and a one-on-one swim together through the facility.

OR, I could book in PV with the separate facility. What do you think? Any help?

Archived