Snorkeling in CocoCay

On our recent cruise we did the snorkeling excursion while we were in CocoCay. We enjoyed it alot, except for unexpectedly running into a barracuda and plan on going again and taking the kids on our next cruise (definitely got the cruise bug). My question is that now my husband and I will purchase our own equipment to take, can we rent just the vest to use? Anyone know how much that is?

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=550435862&security=uBDHGT

my not so great barracuda pictures

I think it's $6-7 to just rent the vest. You can pick one up off of ebay for around $25 (kids are less). If you plan on purchasing your own gear and doing this activity often, it's worth it. I don't know if you live near a ProBass shop but they have a fairly decent snorkle set on sale through next week I think (I was in there 2 weeks ago). Beware of cheap ones for $19.99 from places like target as the salt water ends up breaking them down after a few uses.

I looked up the one on sale. It's by Aqua Lung (US Diver) $24.88 - reg. $34.99. You can order it off their site if there's not one nearby. http://www.bassproshop.com Look under Marine, then Water Sports.

I'll bring my own snorkel and mask so I don't have to put my mouth on the same equipment that everyone else uses (Gross!), but I don't think it's worth bringing a vest. Not only is it usually just a couple of bucks to rent a vest, but more importantly, that way you don't have to use up a lot of your suitcase packing a vest that you're only going to use a few times. Same thing goes for fins.

We took our own fins, mask, and snorkel on our last cruise. We have a number of dive shops in the area and found some nice fins for $20. To us it was well worth it, not just because of the price, but we knew that they fit us well. That and we used them in three of the four ports so it ended up being well used.

We didn't mess with buying and bringing a vest. At one beach I rented a short wet suit for $5 which kept me boyant. Other than, that the salt water held me up the rest of the time :)

Archived