Most stable on Atlantic - QE2 or QM2

QE2 fan

I can't comment personally, but I hungrily read everything there is about both ships and I've read a couple of people saying that although the QE2 may move more, she's got a more comfortable, smooth motion than the QM2 does in heavy seas.

QM2 is smoother and quieter. It would be surprising if she was not. My Audi is smoother and quieter for the same reason than the Cortina I had in the sixties.

It's called progress.

David.

My wife and I have travelled on both (I, five crossings on QE2; we both, twice on QM2) and we feel strongly that QM2 is the more stable - and this with our cabin on QM2 far above the center of gravity on 12 deck. Enjoy!

I agree that QM2 is better in rough seas than QE2. Weight does have an effect in adverse conditions. I experienced angry seas on both. Let's just say one night we rocked so much my nicely stocked ice bucket managed to tumble into a drawer on my desk that opened because of the movement. Not too big of a deal until I saw my passport floating in the mess. I was oblivous at the time, since I was sleeping soundly courtesy of the seasickness medicine I had received via an injection in my behind. When I awoke, my tiny stateroom was a bit disheveled.

My cabins on both ships were located in similar locales. Of course, sea conditions can never be "identical" from one experience to the next. I am a boater and know that size and weight can play a critical role in a vessel's performance. In the end though, the Atlantic will always have the upper hand.

Is QM2 considered to be more, less or equally stable as qe2

According to Stephen Payne her naval architect, QM2 has been designed to be twice as stable as QE2. This translates to QM2 rolling 5 degrees in seas that would make QE2 roll 10 degrees.

Ken

Archived