Creating a FAQ: "What You Need To Know About Cruising on NCL"

LauraS

Many many moons ago, I went on a cruise with my parents, and we took along my then 8 year old cousin (my 8 year old cousin... who just turned 29 and is graduating from medical school... oy!). Anyway -- My parents begged his parents to sign a consent form, and they did. It was actually written on the back off a crayon drawn piece of paper.

Good thing. Otherwise when my cousin ended up burning both of his legs in a freak treadmill accident, they would have been unable to treat him...

This is actually a question for an attorney--however, you could save a lot of potential grief if you had a letter from your husband giving his permission to travel, plus permission to have any medical procedure done if necessary, and then have it notarized. A minor effort to get this done could save hassles in foreign countries, especially ones that don't recognize equality between genders. We traveled with nieces to Canada and took such a letter from my brother and his wife, just in case.

I think it was another cruise lines board that I saw it on but I thought it was required. I will/can do it "just in case". She is our daughter and I wouldn't want anything to happen and then not be able to get help for her, just in case. Thanks for the info!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Only if you are divorced and have single/joint custody or they are traveling with one parent, or someone who is not a parent or guardian is accompanying the child. I have gotten my ex to sign a letter with the details and we get it notorized every year. In the past 4 years, NCL has never asked to see it. But I'm sure they will, eventually.

but a power surge multi plug in cable. Some stores call these Power Squids and they look like the sea creature. These will not blow up if too much power is being used by toothbrushes, batteries, cell phones, and then add a hair dryer on high. I have seen staterooms that had a fire from using just an extension cord.

Be safe & enjoy.

We just got back from our first cruise (Dawn)...Great! The following tips from this board really helped:

1) Upon embarkation, do not go to the buffet...the restaurant (Venetian) was nearly empty and we enjoyed lunch (and a "vacation" cocktail) at a window table overlooking the Hudson River...GREAT START!

2) Bring an extension cord/power strip...we had an AF mini-suite and only one standard 120VAC outlet....the rest ( a lot) were European 2-pin (240V???)

3) If you are used to washing/showering with bar soap..bring it!

4) Read this forum! We learned this (and more) from the helpful members of this forum...THANK YOU!

We're considering the Norwegian Dawn .Has anyone got an idea of balcony state room size "square footage" for BC , BD , BE , BB , or BA ? They all look the same , but difficult to choose . Are any of the locations of above any better than others or are there some cabins to be avoided. Also has anyone done Canada Eastern U.S. cruise , and what do we need to know about tours .

Thank you so much for any advice.

J. and J.

The dress code gest debated here very often and here is the policy in NCL's own words:

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#dress

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

• Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.
  • Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.
  • Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.
  • Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.
  • Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

Does anyone know if these same rules apply to kids (shorts and jeans)? The last thing I want to do while I am on vacation is fight with my kids about getting dressed up for dinner!

Does anyone know if these same rules apply to kids (shorts and jeans)? The last thing I want to do while I am on vacation is fight with my kids about getting dressed up for dinner!

The dress attire rules have changed to following in NCL's FAQ.

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner?

Do people dress up at night?

Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Hi,

If you have a Discover Card, you can go to their website and sign up(free of charge) for an extra 5% rewards on cruises, hotels, etc, for the month of Jan. Unfortunately our cruise (Jan 6, 2008) is already paid for, but the onboard expenses will be put on my bill, saving a little bit for me. Hope this helps you out.

Linda:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I want to add this for anyone who questions in the future about "tips" "gratuity" "SERVICE CHARGE"

This way I don't have to repeat myself down the road since this subject matter rears its ugly head often enough..

On the Guest Ticket CONTRACT which ALL passengers agree to is the following:

Item # 3

TERMS OF FARE

2ND paragraph is the one I am going to type for everyone as the first one is not relevant.

Certain members of carriers crew are compensated of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the SERVICE CHARGE paid by each guest. The charge is intended to reward service provided in certain departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to carriers evaluation of job performance. A portion of the SERVICE CHARGE collected by carrier is also used for fleet - wide crew welfare programs. For these purposes a FIXED SERVICE CHARGE of $10 per person per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12 $5 per day charge will be added to your onboard account, there is no charge for children under 3.

FROM THE NCL web site....

(I gather this is ABOVE and beyond the SERVICE CHARGE)

What about Tipping?

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to go the extra mile, and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

I'm an LPN in a hospital, & end up with the individual packets of alcohol wipes in my pockets at the end of my shift.

I save them & put them in my handbag or car.

They sure come in handy at public restrooms, or when I end up with something sticky on my hands after touching various surfaces in shops or cafes.

Definitely will hand them out o my family on our 03/01/08 NCL Sun cruise to Western Caribbean.

AKA jansails

I'm an LPN in a hospital, & end up with the individual packets of alcohol wipes in my pockets at the end of my shift.

I save them & put them in my handbag or car.

They sure come in handy at public restrooms, or when I end up with something sticky on my hands after touching various surfaces in shops or cafes.

Definitely will hand them out to my family on our 03/01/08 NCL Sun cruise to Western Caribbean.

AKA jansails

There were so many helpful things on this thread I knew I would never remember them all. I opened up a blank Word document, then every time I came acrossed a FAQ I wanted to remember I just highlighted,copied it, then pasted it in my Word document. Now I have all of the FAQ's I wanted neatly on three pages!!:D

There were so many helpful things on this thread I knew I would never remember them all. I opened up a blank Word document, then every time I came acrossed a FAQ I wanted to remember I just highlighted,copied it, then pasted it in my Word document. Now I have all of the FAQ's I wanted neatly on three pages!!:D

I did the same thing for my last cruise. However, you may find it's going to get a lot longer (according to how soon your cruise is). Mine was about 28 pages. Before it gets to that stage, come up with Categories (CABIN, DINING, PORTS, PACKING TIPS, etc.), then copy and paste to the appropriate category. It makes it much easier to review and/or find pertinent information when you need it.

nlvc

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

If you have a Discover Card, you can go to their website and sign up(free of charge) for an extra 5% rewards on cruises, hotels, etc, for the month of Jan. Unfortunately our cruise (Jan 6, 2008) is already paid for, but the onboard expenses will be put on my bill, saving a little bit for me. Hope this helps you out.

Linda:rolleyes:

Limited to the first $800 though, still not to be sneezed at.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#bring

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

-------

According to this it sounds like you need to contact NCL to obtain written permission for bringing "intoxicating beverages" on board.

If it's a question of bringing a bottle or two of wine, you may want to consult their wine list first, to see if they already have your favorite on board.

Hello,

I wonder if they have a duty free store on board where I could buy "intoxicating beverages" ?

Hello,

I wonder if they have a duty free store on board where I could buy "intoxicating beverages" ?

yes(there is no duty free on NCL America ships...Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii) but you can't take it back to your room until the last night of the cruise. You can pre-order bottles from NCL that will be delivered to your room. They cost more than you can buy it at home or from duty free but are much less per drink.

We just reutned from the Alaska trip on the Sun. Whereas I had read that blue jeans were not allowed in the main dining rooms they did allow blue jeans on our ship. Outside each of the two dining rooms was a note that tank tops. shorts or abrefeet were nto allowed but noothing about blue jeans. Most people, however "dressed" for dinner (resort casual) as the two main dinng room were very nice. But, we did see a number of diners in blue jeans.

When I cruised on the Sun (Dec 07-Jan 08) they posted that Texas cruisers could wear blue jeans. I guess Texans wear blue jeans for everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived