Thrifty car rental?

Anyone used this company for a day car rental in St. Martin? They have quoted some great prices and am curious about others experiences. Thanks in advance. If you have used a different company I'd be interested as well. Looking to be picked up and dropped off at pier. :)

Here's a list of rental agencies where various visitors have reported BAD reviews:

Budget

Flamingo

National/Alamo

Premier

Reynolds

Thrifty

Tropical

Value.

Mandiecandie5.......... I had several unpleasant car rental episodes on the islands.

I recommend booking with a reputable car company that is also based in the United States. Then, confirm, confirm, confirm....up until your last opportunity to make a phone call before boarding the ship.

And then....have a backup plan: What will the plan be...if we end up with no rental car?

ps. On St Maarten and St Thomas....they drive really crazy! Beeping the horn...means "HELLO".....or it can mean "GET OUT OF THE WAY"! My husband really had fun with that horn.

Remember, too...to check with your auto insurance @ home. Most will cover you...depending on where you are renting from.

Boo's Mom - My understanding is U.S. Auto Insurance carriers DO NOT provide coverage for rental cars in St. Maarten. I would be very interested in identifying any carriers that DO provide coverage. Could you let me know those that you are aware of?

Kal...... I believe your information is correct. St Maarten is dutch/french....and not U.S, so you would need to purchase a little policy when you rent.

However, St Thomas....is a U.S. territory.....and your U.S. Auto policy should cover just fine.

We used Best Deals in St Maartin, they were fine. As for driving, it was a lot better in St Maartin, than in St. Thomas. I don't think I would drive in St Thomas, too busy and crazy drivers. Check with your Visa/MC company cause they covered my insurance on St Maartin, I have a Platinum card.

Check with your Visa/MC company cause they covered my insurance on St Maartin, I have a Platinum card.

The credit card only covers collision. It does not provide any liability coverage. You have to get that elsewhere, usually from the rental agency.

• 1 year later...

Earlier I read that Arthurs is right at the pier where you dock so you don't have to cab to the airport to pick up a car. I found that Alamo had better rates but if you figure the time and taxi to get it it wasn't worth the difference. Avoid Hertz as the local rep never seems to honer the reservation price. The last time I thought the customer before me was going to get into a fist fight. I had to contact Hertz when I got home and they sent me a refund between the reservation price and what I was charged. Fair warning.

Archived