Southhampton

Threadfin

Has anyone ever taken the EuroRail from London into and around Europe? After arriving in Southhampton on the QM 2, I was wondering what traveling on the train would be like for the twelve days that the ship goes on its Norway voyage and then taking the ship back to Brooklyn next summer. Thread

I've taken Eurostar to Paris and back many times, great time every time. I've always gone first class as the meals are served at your seat with wine and all food and drinks (from the bar) are included in the price. The seats are much bigger and deeper with more leg room than standard class. It is also quieter than standard class and less full of kids. The journey to Paris (from Waterloo, easy to get to from Southampton) is so smooth and comfortable that you don't know you're travelling at almost 190 mph. I'm sorry that I've no experience from Paris onwards except to say that the trains used are similar to Eurostar. I think that you have to book every journey, not just turn up and go.

Hope this little helps a little.

Thank you. I will travel first class. I'm also glad to know that I can catch the train in Southhampton. It sounds like a great adventure to travel around Europe and stop overnight in different cities. It would certainly beat driving all that distance for twelve days. I was also thinking that I could catch the ship back to NY when it is in port in Hamburg on its round trip NY to Germany voyage. Thread

Yes, get a taxi from the ship to the rail station (10 minutes) then a train to London Waterloo, they are fast and frequent throughout the day. At Waterloo all you have to do is walk along a few feet to the Eurostar Terminal (part of the same building) and put your Eurostar ticket into the barrier. I was so impressed with the speed of departure at both the London and Paris ends of the journey (they do passports on the train) that once I timed it from stepping from the train (of course your luggage is with you, unlike flying) to getting into the taxi, 3 mins 22 secs. You try doing that at an international airport like say, Heathrow! Hope you have a great time seeing Europe.

Archived