Ex-Con Godmother

ctguy001

I wouldnt, and I bet alot of others wouldnt either. Karen

I agree. I was in the position once and didn't. What stuck in my craw, was MS was on the oversight board at one time and knew the rules probably better than most of us.

IMO Princess should reconsider this decision.:cool:

I think Martha is esteemed enough to be godmother of a ship. she has accomplished great things for a woman. Did she use insider trading to make money, probably, in her position, I probably would have too, who wouldn't.

MOST of us would not emulate Martha's felonious behavior. There are such things as abiding by the law, and also being honest. Sounds like greed overules both of those traits for some, including MS.

I think Rosie's heart belongs to NCL. She would be a natural choice for them after her charter cruise. Some may have differing personal beliefs from me but I thought her HBO documentary about the NCL Gay/Lesbian family cruise was heartwarming and fun to watch.

As for the values of some, here are mine – I believe that if someone does their “time” as determined in a court of law, they should be given another chance. We all make mistakes and if we’re supposed to carry them around all our lives, we’d all be hauling fairly large burdens... .

So the pedifile that is arrested the first time and has served his "time" should be allowed to live next door to you and babysit your kids?? After all, they should be given another chance....

Well I emailed them and actually got a response from them.... Not that they said much but at least they acknowledged getting my email.... I wish they would reconsider... What a poor choice..... :(

It is immaterial to me who the godparents of a ship are. It could be Charles

Manson for all I care.

I think Martha as godmother was a poor choice. I think the coffee on Princess is awful. Neither of these things would keep me from sailing on Princess. Charles Manson would be reason enough to switch to another line. Karen

So the pedifile that is arrested the first time and has served his "time" should be allowed to live next door to you and babysit your kids?? After all, they should be given another chance....

Recidivism for Pedophilia is shockingly high. The stats for what MS did are not like those of pedophilia. That's why they have sex offenders lists and not cheaters lists.

Not a fan at all - I wouldn't have picked her but don't really care.

However, she was NOT convicted of insider trading. She was convicted of "lying" to Federal officials. Two entirely different crimes in the scheme of things. No one was actually hurt by her crimes like stockholders or average Americans. Now, I'm not saying that lying to Federal officials is okay but is a far lesser crime than say what the Enron guys did.

Recidivism for Pedophilia is shockingly high. The stats for what MS did are not like those of pedophilia. That's why they have sex offenders lists and not cheaters lists.

OK Nliedel, I am not stupid. I am well read, and can speak in sentences. However, aside from the fact that I dont know what recidivism means, I cant begin to pronounce it!! Is this a real word, or are you making them up? Karen

OK Nliedel, I am not stupid. I am well read, and can speak in sentences. However, aside from the fact that I dont know what recidivism means, I cant begin to pronounce it!! Is this a real word, or are you making them up? Karen

From Websters

Main Entry: re·cid·i·vism

Pronunciation: ri-'si-d&-"vi-z&m

Function: noun

: a tendency to relapse into a previous condition or mode of behavior; especially : relapse into criminal behavior

Not a fan at all - I wouldn't have picked her but don't really care.

However, she was NOT convicted of insider trading. She was convicted of "lying" to Federal officials. Two entirely different crimes in the scheme of things. No one was actually hurt by her crimes like stockholders or average Americans. Now, I'm not saying that lying to Federal officials is okay but is a far lesser crime than say what the Enron guys did.

I wish more people would read what you wrote...she was supposed to be convicted of lying to Fed officials but it was clear after the jury came back that they mistakenly convicted for insider trading...as you said two different things and a charge that was never levied against her...INJUSTICE PREVIALED THAT DAY!

As if Princess will change there mind because of a fload of emails from some die hards....I doubt it!...but I rather they get a fload of emails for that Driveway Sealer they call COFFEE!

I LOVE MARTHA .....and it is a "GOOD THING"!

And the magic Marker people beware, as vandilism is a cfrime too!...just make sure you spray the camera above with some whipping cream they sue for the scones at high tea or wear a ski mask!

Tony

Lol, nope I am NOT trying to play, "Stump Karen" today. From http://dictionary.reference.com

A tendency to lapse into a previous pattern of behavior, especially a pattern of criminal habits.

Means someone who repeats a crime.

I'm not opposed to Martha Stewart being "godmother" of the Crown Princess. There were some earlier threads about this when the announcement was made in Martha's magazine prior to the official news release by Princess. Here's part of my post on one of these threads:

I've never been a fan of Martha Stewart, but I think it's possible that many "good things" could come from her possible association with Princess. First and foremost, the christening of the ship will likely generate plenty of media coverage, and following the Star fire, Princess would benefit from some positive promotion.

Presumably, Martha would be onboard for the duration of the voyage - I know that Jill Whelan spent her honeymoon on the Caribbean Princess. Maybe several episodes of Martha's TV show will be filmed on the ship for future airing? Perhaps there would be an agreement that Princess will advertise during Martha's show? A good marketing strategy for Princess, methinks ;) .

Martha Stewart is a talented and shrewd businesswoman, to be sure, and her affiliation with Princess, if this comes to fruition, would be mutually gratifying for Martha and Princess :D . jmo

Now that it's a fact that Ms. Stewart will indeed christen the new ship (although the news release doesn't specify whether or not she'll be on the voyage), I'm convinced that this venture will be "a good thing" for both Martha and Princess ;) . jmo

Yes, because Corrections should correct inmates. Then let them out when they are corrected.

(Flame away)

Well, I guess I opened this one up to debate! Princess certainly can choose whomever they wish to be the ship's godmother. Publicitywise, I think it was a shrewd choice. I still don't think that it was a good choice integritywise.

Would I sail on Crown Princess? Sure. It's still a great line, but with a slightly skewed PR department that was hoping for just this kind of publicity. Glad to oblige!

De gustibus non est disputandum! (There's no accounting for taste!)

Publicitywise, I think it was a shrewd choice. I still don't think that it was a good choice integritywise.

Or maybe it means the board of directors of Carnival doesn't think what Martha did was any big deal.

Dena....IT WASN'T a BIG DEAL!...but the Government made a Big Deal out of it!...just like Leona Hemsley.....the supposed "Queen of Mean"!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

She is a self-made, powerful, and dignified woman whose accomplishments have far surpassed the average Americans. Seems that most people just love to see those that have risen to power and wealth take a fall...jealousy is an ugly thing.

It is also humorous to see how may people get there feathers ruffled over decisions, such as the godmother of a ship, that have no effect on our lives...

Oh well, I got to get back to baking muffins, growing my own herbs, and creating placemats from old cruise ship menus and princess patters....lol

Gary

The conclusions that some people here draw (not just this topic) based upon MS being selected is amazing. I highly doubt that the Carnival board members sat around and discussed the topic of Martha being innocent or guilty!!

I furthermore think comparing her offense to that of a convicted pedophile is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

No one that sails aboard this new ship will even think about this after the christening ceremoy.

I think a former stockbroker using insider information to make money and then lying about it IS a big deal. By the way, what happened to the stockbroker at Merrill who helped her???

I think a former stockbroker using insider information to make money and then lying about it IS a big deal. By the way, what happened to the stockbroker at Merrill who helped her???

We'll in my books lying to the Government and cheating on your taxes is ALWAYS permissable!....heheheheeee

Peter Beconavich got 5 months in jail and served his time and is currently on appeal and will be waiting several more years before it is heard.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

By the way, what happened to the stockbroker at Merrill who helped her???

He was found guilty on four counts: perjury, conspiracy, making false statements and obstruction of agency proceedings. As with Stewart, he was not convicted of any improper sales of securities.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bacanovic

Archived