Setting out of luggage the nite before

Perseids

I have been told that if I do not set my luggage out in the hallway the nite before that once our ship docks in Whittier we can leave the ship anytime we want without waiting for our section to be called. I am thinking that Carnival will take issue with this statement.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this???

We need to be off the boat no later than 8am really to make an 11:30 excursion in Seward.

Most ships do have what they call self-assist debarcation where you take your own luggage off the ship. In many cases it appears to work well, however IF the ship is not cleared for some reason you will NOT be allowed off until it is cleared, no way no how, end of story. I have no experience with Alaska sailings, but last week in Port Canaveral all passengers were made to wait for one non-US citizen who failed to meet with immigration at the appointed time.

IF this is a CARNIVAL excursion they will wait for you. If not you may be taking a chance. It also means you must be able to carry/pull all of your own bags from your room to the gangway and off of the ship. It worked well for us since we were on Empress Deck where the gangway is.

You're thinking of "self debark". If avail. on your ship, you keep your luggage and take it [possibly up/down steps] off the ship with you. There's a specific period for debarking...usually about 60 minutes long. If you try to debark after that period, Customs won't let you debark

Archived