Explorer of the Seas vs. Queen Mary 2 - Holidays 2007

I realize this is a weird combination but, I have two fantastic offers from a TA regarding holiday sailings from the NY/NJ area. Both are 12 night cruises. Both offering interesting itineraries. The big difference is I can get a Junior Suite on Explorer for the price of a balcony cabin on Queen Mary 2. I haven't sailed either line yet but, I am booked on Navigator for next summer (2007). The TA has put together excellent perks and amenities on both sailings and, I'm really stumped. What would you do?

Email: john.ch.duncan@gmail.com

Who are you travelling with? Explorer will definitely be better for a family (regardless of the age of the kids), and QM2 might hold more interest for a couple or someone looking for a more "upscale" experience (or at least an experience that's marketed as upscale).

I have not sailed on Cunard, but browsing on their board I get the feeling that their pax are more interested in really dressing up, and in a "classic" cruising experience. I don't know if that makes the atmosphere stuffy or not (I doubt it), but it's something to consider. Cunard also has the system of different dining rooms depending on cabin class. I think the QM2 would like to consider itself far more upscale.

I have sailed on Explorer (and 5 other RC cruises), and RC is definitely classy in a lot of ways, but there is also an active, fun-loving, and family friendly vibe on board. On a 12 night holiday sailing there will be quite a few children on board (although not as many as would be seen on a shorter holiday sailing). Pax will dress up, but not as much as they would on QM2 (based on what I see on their boards). Itinerary-wise, Labadee isn't all that exciting.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like you have a great TA...

These are very different cruise experiences. My first impulse is to say sail QM2, b/c you are going on Navigator in May 07, and this will give you some variety. I always think it's good to try different cruise lines.

I wasn't really thrilled with my QM2 experience. It's a very nice ship, but IMO, there's nothing special or innovative about it. I was also a young guy sailing with a lots of older folks, and I found there wasn't a lot to do. Also, keep in mind the dining rooms are segregated depending on what cabin you are in. I found their buffet dining area for breakfast and lunch (forget the name, sorry) to be very tight and difficult to navigate.

One thing in favor of QM2 is I'm pretty sure she has a covered pool area, and Explorer doesn't. This will be handy as you sail up and down the eastern seaboard.

I agree with RC4Me about the family question, and the "fanciness factor," which is much higher on QM2.

You may want to hunt around a bit on the Cunard board and get some opinions there.

Bottom line, I would probably make my decision based on itinerary, b/c at the end of the day, that's what I value most. Your priorities may vary. Have a great time.

Just the fact that I've already received two responses here is beginning to speak volumes to me. I realize the Cunard board isn't nearly as busy so I'll give it some time. Thanks both for your input. We're just a small group of friends traveling together, no children involved, in our mid-40s. The itineraries are fairly similar, of course, there are a few differences but, it still makes for a tough choice. I'll continue to see what you all have to say about both lines.

Thanks again for your responses.

John

EMail: John.ch.Duncan@gmail.com

Just the fact that I've already received two responses here is beginning to speak volumes to me. I realize the Cunard board isn't nearly as busy so I'll give it some time. Thanks both for your input. We're just a small group of friends traveling together, no children involved, in our mid-40s. The itineraries are fairly similar, of course, there are a few differences but, it still makes for a tough choice. I'll continue to see what you all have to say about both lines.

Thanks again for your responses.

John

EMail: John.ch.Duncan@gmail.com

GMoney tell me if I'm wrong on this, but for this group I think a lot will depend upon whether you have one of those folks travelling with you who will say "It's my vacation and I don't want to dress up" and then get in a snit over having to dress up more on QM2. RC has a suggested dress code for dinner, but I doesn't seem to be a problem if you don't follow it to the letter.

We've traveled many different lines. Haven't been on the Explorer yet ( going 10/06) but we were on the QM2 March 2005. I have to say that given the choice you should sail her at least once. We are 50 and 51 and loved it! The ship is amazing in and old world "ocean liner" style rather than a "cruise ship" and I think will probably be the last of it's kind.

We had a "hull" balcony which was quite spacious with 2 lounge chairs. The cabin was also spacious in comparison to other lines, although RCCL probably wins on cabin size. There are alot of nice little touches, robes and slippers in the cabin. Canyon Ranch spa products in the bathrooms. Teak deck chairs on the promanade, high tea with scones and clotted cream. Yum! Since it was Easter week, they also delivered a plate with a Cadbury bunny, chocolate eggs and jelly beans, it was a nice surprise.

We were in the lowest dining level and thought the food was really good and yes they do dress! I would say that 90% of the passengers wore gowns and tuxes on formal nights and stayed dressed through the evening. Even semi-formal nights were dressier than on other ships we've been on. Had to take an extra suitcase!

So, I'd vote for QM2. Hope this helped. If you have any questions about QM2, please feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

GMoney tell me if I'm wrong on this' date=' but for this group I think a lot will depend upon whether you have one of those folks travelling with you who will say "It's my vacation and I don't want to dress up" and then get in a snit over having to dress up more on QM2. RC has a suggested dress code for dinner, but I doesn't seem to be a problem if you don't follow it to the letter.[/quote']

I agree. :)

Archived