Xunantunich help please? Safety Concerns

MikeNKim

I decided that today I would do some research into Xunantunich as we decided to do this excursion on our upcoming cruise.

However, I am now terrified by everything I have read about buses breaking down, boats breaking down, lots of military. I also found a travel advisory about the high crime around the Mayan site...although it wasn't specific as in to which Mayan site.

I have also read how many of you loved this excursion and it was just amazing.....

Please give me the good and bad. I will be traveling with DH, DD 14, DS 17 DFIL 76 and DMIL 74.

Should we be concerned for our safety???

Please help.

Thank you

Kim

The Mayan site is really good but there are risks, its up to you to decide if its worth it. When our bus broke down and there were 40 of us standing under a tree to try and stay cool in the middle of no where on the side of the road in Belize I was somewhat concerned for everyones safety but no one bothered us. As long as you realize there is a greater chance of mechanical problems, etc.. because its a developing country if you really want to do it go for it. I wouldn't be too worried about safety. From my experience State Dept travel advisories can be a little over-dramatic.

Archived