Mercury - Mexican Riviera - 27 March

smartlady02

I have read a lot of the postings about the Bleach Cruise. My husband and I were on this too. We had clothing spoiled by bleach but, more importantly, the constant exposure to bleach mist and fumes made my asthma very bad. It is now six weeks since we came ashore and I am still having problems despite being prescribed steriods and antibiotics by my doctor.

I am wondering whether anyone else`s health was affected and, if so, what action they are taking. Is there any group action here?

I live in England by the way and came to USA for the cruise and for a 7 week stay over there - our honeymoon!

My husband became ill on around day 5 of the 3/27/06 bleach-cruise. He began experiencing lethargy, light-headness, labored breathing and coughing. He visited the ship doc, who gave him antibiotics and assured him there would be no charge. When, at the end of the cruise, there was a charge of $197 to our seapass card for the medical center, my husband spoke with one of the corporate reps on board, who reassured him the charge would be removed or credited. Well, it showed up on our visa bill and is now being disputed, along with the charge of the entire cruise.

On day 7, I began experiencing extreme burning in my eyes, as well as headaches and coughing, but did not go to the ship doc. It's been 6 weeks since our return and my husband is still experiencing the symptoms that began on the ship. I wrote to the officers at Corporate and am still awaiting a reply. I also withheld payment on my credit card pending the outcome of my letter.

We've heard some of those on our cruise have already received their future cruise credit as well as their 25% refund. However, I have personally yet to see either. :(

Another passenger is facing orthopedic surgery. Her knee was injured when she fell in the bleach which had pooled on the floor while entering an elevator. Luckily, the event was witnessed by a "top brass" X staff member.

Also, I am not entirely convinced that the only chemical being used was bleach. Did anyone else see the big 5 gallon containers with the red lettered label? I wish I could remember exactly what it said, but I think someone I know has a picture of the container. It stated "danger" "warning" or something to that effect. There was a supply room on deck 10.

Archived