Water Shoes-Necessary?

soundwaves

When we went to Tahiti, all the guidebook recommended that we use hard-soled dive booties because of the spiny black urchins. Since then, we have used them extensively in Hawai'i and in Mexico. They have enough arch support that you can wear them comfortably when you are just walking around on the dock or on deck, yet they slide easily into your fins. They were a little pricey(check either on-line or in a dive shop), but they have been worth it. If you do a lot of diving, snorkling or beach combing, they are great!

I stepped on a sea urchin snorkeling in St. Thomas, felt like I stepped on a nail. When we got to Princess Cays I bought water shoes at the Princess gift shop – needless to say, I paid well over $20 for something I could have gotten for ~$7-8. I have never been without water shoes since, unless I’m wearing full coverage fins. It was a sorry lesson learned on my part – it was island night the day I stepped on the urchin, I spent the night hobbling along! They might not be fashionable, but neither is hopping around and standing on one foot!

i never bring them, had them once 10 years ago on honeymoon for dunns river falls and that was it. This past March i was at princess cays and my firend and i really wanted to explore it was all rocky and we couldnt walk in the water to far out, we had to purchase them at the store for 20.00 bucks, let me tell you what a great idea to have them, we had a blast we could walk anywhere, it was one of our most favorite days:D

So i will be bringing them back next trip;)

Archived