important question for the ladies

valj

hi girls,

This is an earth shattering question...will the airlines allow you to carry aerosol cans (HAIRSPRAY) on board a plane? If so can it be in a carry on or checked. I haven't flown since 9-11 and web says no 'noxious substances'? The Alaska weather will mean I gotta have my Aussie Mega close by:eek: !

Thanks

Val

Yes you can. Check the information on your specific airline for the amount allowed. Southwest Airlines currently allows bottles of no more than 16 fluid ounces, with a combined total for all "hazardous toiletries" to not exceed 64 oz. They can be checked or carried on.

Be sure to check with your particular airline for the specifics, since Southwest tends to be more lenient than some of the other lines.

A little side note too: If you check 64 oz. and carry on 64 oz. no one will really know. ;)

Just to let you know, I flew Southwest 2 weeks ago and had my bottle of VERY expensive styling spray taken out of my suitcase. It was aerosol. The only good part was it was on my return flight so I could just go to the store and buy some more. This was in my checked luggage and I did NOT have any other aerosol items.

Just to let you know, I flew Southwest 2 weeks ago and had my bottle of VERY expensive styling spray taken out of my suitcase. It was aerosol. The only good part was it was on my return flight so I could just go to the store and buy some more. This was in my checked luggage and I did NOT have any other aerosol items.

I would have questioned them as to why, based on the info in their Southwest Policies section. Here's a direct quote from their website (with link here):

Toiletry items can be carried in checked or carryon baggage, but must be limited to 16 fluid ounces (18 ounces by mass). This includes hairspray, aerosol deodorants, shaving cream, perfumes/colognes, nail polish, nail polish remover, insect repellant (aerosol, pump or lotion) and other non-radioactive pharmaceuticals.

The combined total of individual bottles of hazardous toiletries cannot exceed 68 fluid ounces.

The last time I put an aerosol in my checked luggage, it didn't spray very well when I unpacked it. My last two trips on Delta I put it in my carry on with no problems.

Archived