Upcoming Adventure of the Seas Trip Questions

I was wondering from anyone who stayed in San Juan more than a couple days, if you did a tour to the El Yunque rainforest. We fly into San Juan on Friday and we were thinking the rainforest would be something to see on Saturday.

John & Shari

Hi,

I did this cruise this past February. In Aruba, we went to Eagle Beach. The ship recommends Palm Beach near the high rise hotels with shopping, but we opted for Eagle, which was rated as one of the top 10 beaches by Travel and Leisure Magazine. The taxi dropped us off at a small hotel called the Tulip or something like that. From the sign, it looked like it used to be a Best Western. This doesn't sound glamorous, but the beach was GORGEOUS. For $5.00 we had a lounge chair and tiki umbrella with a little table. There were not a lot of people so it was quiet and clean.

In St. Martin, we always grab a taxi to the French side for shopping. Along the water is a market. Ask the driver to drop you off in the shopping area with the stores and near the docks rather than near the market. I find that the good stores are a bit tricky to find initially if you've never been there.

In St. Thomas, Magen's Bay was great. There is a cocktail server that runs the beach bringing you drinks.

I was not a huge fan of Curacao. It's ironic that a lot of people had shopping bags, because I didn't purchase one thing. We did the Sea Lion encounter, as we did the dolphin one in the Bahamas several years ago. We had the scariest taxi driver ever. She had a flat tire which "has plenty of air to get us to the acquarium."

Remember to bring plenty of sunscreen with you. It is terribly expensive to purchase on the boat. Aruba is where you really notice how hot the sun is since you are so far south. If you don't want to haul it with you from home, at least get it at a drug store in San Juan. There is a Walgreens across the street from the Marriott. Another hint for those people staying at the Marriott. Ask for late check out. This gives you time to grab coffee at Starbucks and take your breakfast and newspaper to the beach in the morning and then grab a quick shower before getting on board the ship. There are two ship terminals, but your taxi driver will know which terminal take to you to.

Have fun!!

Marie

Archived